Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog days be gone!

Dove hunting went from a shell popping weekend party every year here in North Texas to hardly any except in the dead of our mild winters when season is closed. Back then we had Bobwhite quail thick enough that you could get ten birds one at a time with a single shot shotgun just by reflushing the covey. Mourning Dove in upper Texas, White wings in lower Texas- that was it. Now there are collared dove, Inca dove, dove/pidgeon crosses that have taken over our area to where good dove hunting is a memory. Mourning Doves were always challenging targets; the only birds that made dove seem easier were River bottom jack snipe- oh my goodness. Whoever says Mourning dove are not good eating just keeps cooking them wrong.
    Blood Trail- you just need 3-4 slightly intoxicated dove hunters to flip that thing over sideways on its tires- then drive off before they can get in! Leave them a 6 pack in the mud so they won’t think that you’re evil.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    qHow long is the cable on that winch???
    Not long enough.

Still made it to my deer stand to do some work. Rancher pulled me out.

The good thing is, my lease is covered with teal and season opens up this Saturday. Just loaded some #5’s for the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only we could shoot them off the wires in town (not really). Like deer, they are gone from the field when season started. Guess that's why the call it hunting vs shooting. Yes, those Mourning ones are hard to hit. Remember first time I went in Ks, dang they 'porpoise' when flying and hard to hit.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Might be able to use a "deadman" buried anchor to pull that vehicle forwards to get it clear, but that would be work.

Boolit Master

September went by too fast! Great day with the 20 ga today, 1 oz 8 1/2 shot out of Mod choke, a slick little Model 1100 Skeet.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Congrats Hal, glad you enjoyed the dove season! Here, the leaves are just beginning to fall, squirrel season has been open since 9-1 but the canopy is so heavy I don't bother hunting them 'til late October. Ditto for grouse. But, turkey season opens 10-15 and I just got my 20 gauge M37 back from the gunsmith (Yay!), so turkeys beware!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I had one for a pet when I was young.
    He lived for many years, made the most pleasant cooing sound and would eat out of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I had one for a pet when I was young.
    He lived for many years, made the most pleasant cooing sound and would eat out of my hand.
    I know,,, we have a bunch of Doves that come to the feeder everyday along with a Covey of 50+ quail that just cycles thru the neighborhood every day.. My cat Taz doesn't Meow, he makes Dove and Quail Noises. I wondered where he got them until I saw him laying next to the seed dish and they were eating within 2 feet of him. They were going E-ooh to him and he was doing it back. Never seen anything like it.

Now the Squirrel that invades the scene is totally not welcome, and just screws everything up. Taz hasn't gotten a hold of him yet because he stays up in the tree and just gives everybody hell! I don't think he would really want to get ahold of that squirrel as it is as big as he is, and I don't think he knows what he would do with it after he got ahold of it anyway. It's a big male Red Squirrel very nice tail!

Rats and Gophers fine, Squirrels maybe too big.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12