Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Sizing dies?

Boolit Buddy

Sizing dies?

Gentlemen,
    I have been reloading for some time now and am about to delve into casting. I am currently gathering components and hope to run my 1st cast next weekend.
    So this begs the question, how do I run sizing dies? I understand what they are and what they do, but how do I use them? Do I need a special press for them, special shell plates?
    So far I've ordered 3 molds, all lee aluminum. A .454, 255gr; a .459, 405gr; and a .490gr rb + minnie ball double. They will be for 45 colt, 45-70, and 50 hawken. I know I wont have to size the hawken, so good there. Do i have to size the other 2, or can i load em up and start blasting? I understand the concept of sizing, but if these boolits run good I'm my firearms why size them?
    Just trying to gather all the info before I make a mistake.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Boolit Bub
    I use lee sizers. they fit any press.
    measure the bullet. if it is to big for your gun size it to the correct size.

Boolit Buddy
    But are they a 2 part system like brass dies and shell holders? Does the die come with bith parts?

A lee sizing die consist of the die and a punch. Just pick one up for the size that ya need. Comes with every thing ya need and their cheep its pretty self explanatory
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    Got it, thanks

Boolit Master
    The Lee can size your boolit if it's made to the right size, it will not lube your boolits, for that you may want a lube/sizer which lubes and sizes at the same time. Some will chime in with ideas on sloppy methods of hand lubing like tumbling while you lube, or melting lube in the stove. So it depends if you want to start out with the proper method or do that later.

Probably time to pickup a book on casting, Lyman has several editions available, the 3rd edition I believe is now available online for free now.

Trying to piece together all the parts of casting/sizing/lubing/reloading for cast boolits( it's different than jacketed reloading)/shooting from dozens and dozens threads is going to be hard.

A book or two to start will help to make sense out of it.

Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input fellas. I have the lyman #4 manual but have not read it cover to cover yet. Before I start I will complete the book. I guess I hadn't gotten to the sizing portion of the book yet and was confused with how the dies work.
    I have been using taylor made cast in 2 firearms that I ordered molds for. I based my mold size of of the boolits that I buy from my local commercial caster.
    I will start with tumblr lubing at first before I buy another piece of equip like a lubrisizer. I want to make sure I'm into this before I jump in head first.
    Now that I understand how the dies work, if i need them i will purchase the specific sizes required.
    Thanks, Ken

Thanks again Dusty for the input that you gave me via PM, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Evoken; 09-04-2020 at 05:22 AM.

Banned
    I went with the NOE boolit sizing system ------ https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...y/sizing-tools

you need the Push Through Size Die Body $39.95

a sizing bushing that goes in the die body $9.75

and 1 Push rod per caliber $7.50

You say that sounds like a lot BUT once you have a puch rod for a caliber,

all you need is a different size bushing $9.75 for any other sizes in that caliber

The bushings and push rods are small and easily stored in a multi section plastic box

PLUS you can also buy bushings to just size the nose of a boolit

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to size and lube the Lee and NOE are not adequate. You will need a lube press, probably an RCBS or Lyman and the H&I dies that go with it. I have one of each, one for each lube I use - one for pistol and BP and one for rifle. If you plan to PC the Lee and NOE are very adequate.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!