Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger .38spl LCRX

Boolit Master

Ruger .38spl LCRX

A little while after the LCRX came out there was a glut of them on GB and I decided I needed a couple for the consoles in my PU trucks. I bid on several Both LCR and LCRX kinda low ball bids and I won 4 of them all LCRXs. I gave one to my FFL and put 3 of them to work, under cover. I have been testing a few +P snub loads lately and I am really impressed at the job Ruger did on engineering this ugly little Gem. The grips are very usable and fit like they have a built in Grip adapter so the weight rests on your middle finger, the DA trigger is good and it handles really strong handloads really well, at least for me. Anyone got any input?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I have one with a 3” barrel. I use it for owb winter carry in a simply rugged silver dollar pancake holster. My load is 4.0 grains of bullseye under a mp-hammer large hp at 158gns. Nice accurate load in a light manageable package.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    While I despise hammer spurs on snubnose revolvers (and I define snubnose as 2.5" barrel or less) the little Ruger's are well made.
    I think Ruger did a good job of matching materials to needs. They managed to get the strength needed while holding the weight down.

They also used modern manufacturing techniques to hold cost down, something Ruger excels at.

I'm a "used gun" kind of guy and I think my newest snubnose was made in the early 1990's, so it may be a while before I put a Ruger LCR in the safe . I have shot them and I think Ruger has a winner there.

I seldom disagree with petrol and powder, but I require a hammer spur on all revolvers. My daughter bought one and I shot 200 rounds through it as a test. The ugly thing fell into third place behind the S&W Chiefs Special and the Colt Detective Special as my all time favorite snub nose revolver..38 Special for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    There's nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. For me, a snubnose revolver is a tool that I will never place into single action mode. So a hammer spur on a snubnose, has more negative qualities than positive ones. Now, once we get beyond a 2.5" barrel, the hammer spur isn't as objectionable to me. But that's not royal decree, it's just a personal stance.

Boolit Master

Good input. I really wanted a LCR with no hammer for my wife but my lowball bids returned all with spur. I have even thought about bobbing one but I'm afraid it won't have enough mass to be reliable.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I have three J-frames, none can compete with my 357 LCR in terms of DA trigger or sights. Don't want a hammer, either, on a pocket pistol.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    I love my LCR, it’s been 100% reliable since I purchased it and I also think Ruger did a good job on it. I still love my J frames but the Ruger is great. I wouldn’t be opposed to picking up an X model one day.

Boolit Grand Master
    We came very close to getting a matching pair for the fiancé and I a while back. We both liked the LCRx. I prefer to carry a semi-auto for CC, but I intend to get one for her after she gets her CPL.

We wound up getting a pair of 686+ revolvers that we both love to shoot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I have the LCRX and have grown to really like it. It was an impulse buy at a local shop, couldn’t turn down 312.00 out the door. Have shot around 200 158 grain swc loads with w231 and has actually been fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

My snubby is a Taurus M85, knock off of a Smith M36. I had another Taurus., a .357, and a loose scew needed replacement. Gun shop buddy grabbed one from his S&W stock, perfect fit as they were previously a factory that made S&W revolvers for a Brazilian contract. When the contract expired, the factory became Taurus. Some knock Taurus, I've had several, no complaints. They have a lifetime warranty and they stand by that.

So, I replaced the grips on the Taurus , my Wife shot it and won't give it back. 'Get your own' she said. 'I have my own' to which she replied 'not any more.' I actually carried and shot that gun often. Oh well, I may get the 9mm version someday.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!