Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unprovoked bear attack

Banned

i live in a high consentration black bear area. Theres bear in my yard every year. This year the forest service had to trap two because they were wondering into a full campground to go through the trash. That said i kind of chuckle at the people that post black bear attacks. Probably a 100 times more beagles or labs that attack people in the US in a year then black bears. Most of what you will see is the back end of a bear running away. Can they attack? sure they can but you can get hit by lightning too and its probably a similar percentage of chance as there is getting attacked by a bear. Do you stay home when its raining?? Ive know people that have had dogs killed by them but mostly its because the dog went after the bear. Ive never heard even one instance up here of a bear attacking a person. Maybe a mock charge or two in the spring if you get near there babys but even they they usually run like heck and leave the babys behind. Most of this stuff comes from scared city people that dont undertand them and from guys that want to feel like there brave to go into the woods with there 44 mags for bear protection. I walk in bear woods about daily. Lately i have been carrying a 22 or a 380 but sure not because im afraid of black bear its because the wolf population has about trippled i the last few years and i hear them howling every night and have even came up on them on my walking trail. Reason i carry a gun is im afraid my dog that walks with me will get attacked or want to go play with the doggy not knowing any better. If you want to carry your 458 mag while walking in the woods its your choice but your going to carry a 10lb rifle around for 70 years and probably never even see one let alone the VERY VERY RARE chance one might mock charge you or the infinitely minute chance youll be attacked. Mountian lion Grizzly, Brown bear, or wolves? There in a different league then black bear. I know many whitetail hunters up here that have never seen a bear in the woods. WHY? because there gone at the first sound or smell of a human. Better wear a hard hat too because a tree might fall on your head and trees kill MANY more people each year then black bears. Your in much more danger driving to work monday morning in your car then walking in the woods in bear country. Might want to consider wearing a full faced helmet for the commute.

Banned

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...49338838380552 there you go. An average of 3 people a year and that lumps america and canada together. Comical thing is some who feel the need to wear a gun to against odds like that are the first to complain about wear a mask in walmart to prevent a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands this year alone. probably more then have been killed by black bear since man walked on earth.

Boolit Master
    My “can of Universal Bear Spray” is a Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun in 44 Mag.

It does not weigh 10 # either.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    We have lots of Bears around here. I am not particularly afraid of Black Bears, but I have a healthy respect for them (or anything else that can chew me up). Two things I have personally witnessed:
    I was watching two Canada Geese in shallow water along the river bank across from our house. I saw a (brown) black Bear coming through the underbrush, headed for the river. As soon as it broke out of the brush, the geese spotted it and immediately went on the attack. The two geese charged toward the Bear flapping their wings and honking. The Bear turned around and took off as fast as it could go. Geese 1, Bear 0.

My neighbor has a small fruit orchard across the road from me. One afternoon there was a Bear in the tree eating apples. The neighbor’s two little toy poodles came tearing out of the house and ran barking toward the Bear. The lady then chased after her dogs (idiot) but not to worry, the Bear exited the tree and took off away from those two little dogs.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master
    laws were made to be broken ask any liberal
    where is the common sense in Canada
    with the percentage of bears there that would be the last thing I
    would do is have my gun locked ammo separate and locked in my cabin in the woods
    who is checking BTW
    non sense laws
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

A bear is a predator and if a bear believes it can attack and eat you, there will be an attack.
    In the 1980s bear encounters ending in injury or death in Alberta were grossly under reported. One year there were at least 5 folk killed by bears, one a child in a campground, pulled out a sleeping bag at night, one a child at bible camp who peaked into what was believed to be a vacant bear den, and 3 oil field workers were killed an eaten by a black bear. There were also a number of folks injured that year. I worked for Alberta Fish and Wildlife and the numbers were not published internally or publicly but the problem wildlife folks in the office were very candid about recovering human remains from dead bear digestive tracts - they used the stainless steel table in my fisheries lab to do their autopsies on bears to determine if they had got the right bear.
    These guys covered an part of Alberta that was almost as large as Washington state. and was only 1/2 of the Eastern slopes of the Rockies and foothills in Alberta.

The folks in tourism worked extremely hard to suppress any release of information about bear attacks.
    A couple of the folks I went to school with died as a result of bear attacks. I found out years after they died.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Yep i hear of bear attacks on a regular basis but the published numbers dont match
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Yep i hear of bear attacks on a regular basis but the published numbers dont match
    There is a reason, outdoor tourism drops when bear attacks get published.
    In 1986 my wife and I had a ten trailer. We used it camp on the way to Eugene Oregon.
    My wife started reading Steve Herrero's book on bear attacks to my kids, every one loves a bear story? don't they? It took three days before both wife and kids would stay in a campsite in the tent trailer after an evening of reading Herrero

https://www.amazon.ca/Bear-Attacks-T...WQX2CJM91FNP6C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Herrero

Herrero is an interesting read but Gary James Shelton seems to have a better (if not apocryphal) handle on how bears behave - Herreo seems to have formulated theory. 60 years of living in Bear country have me leaning toward's Shelton's actual experiences with bears and research on bear attacks.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bear-attacks-J.../dp/0969809913
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Getting rid of tourist hmmmm i wonder how i could use this to my advantage

Banned

sorry guys I dont know what kind of bs news you have where you live but if a bear actually attacked someone around here the news sure wouldnt cover it up and it would be impossible to make go away. This isnt LA or NYC. We had a big bear right in my back yard that wondered into a local campground. Go by there today and theres bear signs everywhere and two roads right accross from the campground were gated off and the dnr put danger bear in area signs up. That said this whole area is nothing but a tourist business and if it was to get covered up to help tourism THIS is the place it would have been done. Heck i even hear tourist say one of the reasons they go hiking around here is the possibility of seeing a bear. matter of fact the dnr set traps right accross the street in the area of those two roads and i saw our local dnr officer last week and asked him if they caught that bear. He said NOPE we had to give up and pull the traps out because our game cameras showed 10 or more people a day that walked over from that camp ground and walked right up to the traps. He said he was afraid the baited traps and tourists stupid curiosity would cause a REAL problem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    We have lots of Bears around here. I am not particularly afraid of Black Bears, but I have a healthy respect for them (or anything else that can chew me up). Two things I have personally witnessed:
    I was watching two Canada Geese in shallow water along the river bank across from our house. I saw a (brown) black Bear coming through the underbrush, headed for the river. As soon as it broke out of the brush, the geese spotted it and immediately went on the attack. The two geese charged toward the Bear flapping their wings and honking. The Bear turned around and took off as fast as it could go. Geese 1, Bear 0.

My neighbor has a small fruit orchard across the road from me. One afternoon there was a Bear in the tree eating apples. The neighbor’s two little toy poodles came tearing out of the house and ran barking toward the Bear. The lady then chased after her dogs (idiot) but not to worry, the Bear exited the tree and took off away from those two little dogs.
    thats the way REAL black bear act. People want to lump all bear species together and black bear act totally different the brown, griz or polar bear do. But the some need to reinforce there manhood by thinking there doing something dangerous without really doing it. Anyone that knows the UP of michigan knows this is BEAR country. Youd think if they were so dangerous wed have at least one case of someone being killed or mauled by them. heck ive even heard of a couple cases of deer charging and goring people with there horns. Even rabid raccoons. My ma would laugh at you guys claiming your need a 44 mag or 454 to walk in the woods. Heck I once saw her a shoe bear off the deck with a broom.

Blackies are diffrent where a brown will toy with ya if a blackie is stalking ya it is planning on eating ya well around here anyways this is usually in the spring right as the come out of hibernation and yes i carry the biggest honken gun i can find not for blackies but for grizz

Boolit Master

Google mountain lion sightings in NH, and be sure to get the official NH Fish&Game stance on the subject. Hidden, personal and/or secret agenda?
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Google mountain lion sightings in NH, and be sure to get the official NH Fish&Game stance on the subject. Hidden, personal and/or secret agenda?
    yup, Michigan dnr denied it for years. even with farmers having cows killed by them and even after being given pictures of them people took. They finally had to give in and admit there here. Why they wouldnt before is beyond me. That said there arent many and your chance of getting attacked by one of them is about like the chance of a meteor hitting you on the head.

Boolit Master

I think that's the whole point isn't it? People who don't know any better are told they have nothing to worry about when they see a mountain lion (wait, what mountain lion?) or a bear cruising the back yard. And every year some poor unfortunate, who listened to and believed the experts, pays the price. Oh well, we on the east coast have nothing to worry about. It's only those on the west coast killed by sharks, lions and bears. Oh MY!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Banned

just mowed my grass. Found 5 piles of fresh bear scat by the apple and plumb and peach trees. Closest one was about 10 yards from the back door of my house. Guess i better put a scabbard and a 458 on the mower.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I think that's the whole point isn't it? People who don't know any better are told they have nothing to worry about when they see a mountain lion (wait, what mountain lion?) or a bear cruising the back yard. And every year some poor unfortunate, who listened to and believed the experts, pays the price. Oh well, we on the east coast have nothing to worry about. It's only those on the west coast killed by sharks, lions and bears. Oh MY!
    ya and to live in fear of it would mean stopping the even more dangerous things in your life like driving a car or going outside in a lightning storm or drownings when your fishing boat sinks. Riding your harley or 4 wheeler without a helmet, Or eating real food instead of grazing all statistically more apt to get you killed. While your at it you might want to stop other dangerous things like fooling around with lead or shooting guns. Its usually the people that DO know better that will tell you how remote the chance of getting attacked for no reason in the woods by a black bear is. Its the walter middy type that want to pretend there brave just walking in the woods that promote this unwarranted fear. Youd best stay armed 24/7 up here because its not uncommon to have a bear right in the middle of town. Never know it might get you when your pumping gas at the shell mart. Now like i said if i was going to spend time in the woods in brown bear or griz territory id go strapped but kids play in the woods here and ive yet to hear of one gettin et. Weve had a few pets locally get ate by wolves and they will attack without provocation but never even heard of that with a black bear. For one thing we are not on there normal diet. Maybe if you smear raspberry jelly all over your wife and hand cuff her to a tree (by the way one brilliant guy here went to jail for doing that) Most likely the ones that it makes nervous are the type that are much more likely to die of a heart attack because thats not all they fear.

Banned

just saw this today and on a liberal web site. Seems even they arent to scared of them. This is a typical reaction when a bear meets a human. Well i shouldnt say typical because the typical encounter is seeing the but of one running away as fast as it can. https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...?ocid=msedgdhp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tch, jelly? If you want a bear to take real interest, try BACON, then they might nibble on the ex or whoever

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    just saw this today and on a liberal web site. Seems even they arent to scared of them. This is a typical reaction when a bear meets a human. Well i shouldnt say typical because the typical encounter is seeing the but of one running away as fast as it can. https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...?ocid=msedgdhp
    https://nypost.com/video/man-feeds-w...-of-his-mouth/

If we were all smart enough to let the bears be bears, you would be correct. Obviously however there are morons in world. A bear, any bear, that associates people with food is a dangerous bear. One would have to be completely oblivious not to understand this.
    Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast