Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unprovoked bear attack

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    When I was giving a Firearms class, I had a guy from Alaska.
    Outside state permits don't count here.
    We got to talking and he said something that always stuck with me.
    "What do you call an unarmed hikers in Alaska..................bait"
    In 1997 or so a bear came into the Liard River hot springs resort and killed a number of tourist folk . One of the board members of the local tourist association stated very clearly that when you were traveling on the Alaska Highway and you step out of your vehicle you step into the food chain. If you are not carrying a rifle, you are stepping in at the bottom.
    An American tourist who was travelling with a rifle in his camper killed the bear who was on a rampage

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...311-story.html
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshank View Post
    The only people who think situational awareness will keep you safe from a bear are the people who have never run into a bear in the woods.

They materialize out of the gloom. One second no one is there, and the next second there they are, twenty feet away and closing fast. They seem to charge you in unearthly silence. They can't see worth a damn, but it seems like they're staring right into your soul, and know every thought you have.

They're sudden death on four legs, and hell has no fiend that is their equal.
    This right here.I live in the woods in Pa you can be setting outside and a bear will be there 30 feet away no sound nothing.It seems people think this woman did something wrong and It could never happen to them Think again.This women may well have been doing everything right and even having a gun in or hand might not have saved here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have gotten a bit complacent living in "bear country" for eight years and only seeing the south end of north bound bear the few times I have stumbled across one. Our bears must be Democratic snowflakes.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    "Kimchee - basically sour kraut with hot peppers. Love the stuff " You forgot the fish oil.

I enjoy good kinchee,, but as noted,, it does have an aroma that many find offensive.

Maybe it could be studied as a bear repellent????

Seriously,, all animals have different personalities, & attitudes. And it can change from day to day. I work with nuisance wildlife,, and I NEVER,, I mean NEVER get complacent when dealing with one. Where I live,, it used to be a rare occurrence for anyone to see a bear,,or even know someone who has seen one. Yet,, as as "progress" has moved in,, land has been sold, subdivided, and the local population of people has grown a LOT. With that progress,,,, a few things have happened. Habitat has shrunk, and people who USED to hunt these places are no longer allowed to hunt. Combine that with the restrictions on hunting,, and the ability of animals to adapt to their surroundings,, the population of bears has increase greatly. We are seeing black bears having 3, 4 & even 5 cubs annually. And it has become a common occurrence for people to see bears. SLOWLY,,, the wildlife commission is relaxing a FEW of the hunting regs to assist in controls,, but it's not enough.
    And despite the fact that annually we have serious encounters involving people & bears,, many people fight tooth & nail to protect the overpopulation of them. They WANT more bears.
    In Asheville NC there is a group called; "Save Asheville Bears" that has some serious money behind them. They have TV commercials,, & offer rewards to people who turn in ANYBODY who is suspected of harming or killing a bear. Last season, a guy killed a bear legally, and was "turned in" and a reward given for the whistle blower. Yet,, the bear was a legally killed bear, and the Wildlife Commission found no wrong doing. Yet,, they still promote people turning in bear hunters and poachers.
    I have seen bears around my home,, and I also have pics of them walking around my house. I no longer walk outside at night w/o using cautions,, the same as if I lived in a place where thugs might decide to hang around.
    Bears do not watch Disney to learn how to act.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "Kimchee - basically sour kraut with hot peppers. Love the stuff " You forgot the fish oil.

I enjoy good kinchee,, but as noted,, it does have an aroma that many find offensive.

Seriously,, all animals have different personalities, & attitudes. And it can change from day to day. I work with nuisance wildlife,, and I NEVER,, I mean NEVER get complacent when dealing with one. Where I live,, it used to be a rare occurrence for anyone to see a bear,,or even know someone who has seen one. Yet,, as as "progress" has moved in,, land has been sold, subdivided, and the local population of people has grown a LOT. With that progress,,,, a few things have happened. Habitat has shrunk, and people who USED to hunt these places are no longer allowed to hunt. Combine that with the restrictions on hunting,, and the ability of animals to adapt to their surroundings,, the population of bears has increase greatly. We are seeing black bears having 3, 4 & even 5 cubs annually. And it has become a common occurrence for people to see bears. SLOWLY,,, the wildlife commission is relaxing a FEW of the hunting regs to assist in controls,, but it's not enough.
    And despite the fact that annually we have serious encounters involving people & bears,, many people fight tooth & nail to protect the overpopulation of them. They WANT more bears.
    In Asheville NC there is a group called; "Save Asheville Bears" that has some serious money behind them. They have TV commercials,, & offer rewards to people who turn in ANYBODY who is suspected of harming or killing a bear. Last season, a guy killed a bear legally, and was "turned in" and a reward given for the whistle blower. Yet,, the bear was a legally killed bear, and the Wildlife Commission found no wrong doing. Yet,, they still promote people turning in bear hunters and poachers.
    I have seen bears around my home,, and I also have pics of them walking around my house. I no longer walk outside at night w/o using cautions,, the same as if I lived in a place where thugs might decide to hang around.
    Sounds just like the Lake Tahoe area here , people and bears ...more of both in one area.
    Along with the "Bear league" on west shore.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Sounds just like the Lake Tahoe area here , people and bears ...more of both in one area.
    Along with the "Bear league" on west shore.
    Yup, that's SW NH in a nutshell.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Idaho has a LOT of Black bears but only a very few Grizzly over on the eastern border or deep in the Frank Church Wilderness. A Black is most dangerous when startled or has young about. In general a Black has a healthy respect for the danger of humans and will most likely avoid contact if possible. That said I wouldn't want to trip over a napping Black in a huckleberry patch. Gp
    I was up hiking near Marble Mountain last Tuesday and found a huckleberry patch with the biggest pile of bear scat I've ever seen.

This was not made by any black bear. Either Bigfoot or a Grizzly...

Attachment 267369
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

This was enlightening...

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Very interesting. I have bear spray for walking my dog. I was told by my local LEO that I absolutely was not justified in shooting an unrestrained dog attacking my leashed dog, but pepper spray is OK. I assumed that bear spray was much more powerful than pepper spray and was concerned about using it on a human. Now I know. Thanks.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post

My home is less than 1/4 mile from a wild life sanctuary. Every year bears frequent my yard in the spring and fall.
    I find bear scat on my lawn. And I have found bear scat on the ground right by the steps to my back door.
    I like the joggers who want to know the best way to avoid a bear attack. They discuss pepper spray. My advice is "Do not run, bears consider anything that is running as food..." That keeps the joggers quiet.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Very interesting. I have bear spray for walking my dog. I was told by my local LEO that I absolutely was not justified in shooting an unrestrained dog attacking my leashed dog, but pepper spray is OK. I assumed that bear spray was much more powerful than pepper spray and was concerned about using it on a human. Now I know. Thanks.
    monadnock#5

The next time you encounter Officer DoughnutBreath, you may want to tell him to remove his cranial extremity from his anal orifice and read the New Hampshire State Statutes.

New Hampshire Statutes

TITLE XLV: ANIMALS

CHAPTER 466: DOGS AND CATS

Remedies and Penalties for Injuries Done by Dogs

Section: 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized.

466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Source. 1891, 60:15. PL 150:32. RL 180:32. RSA 466:28. 1991, 213:4. 1995, 298:17, eff. Jan. 1, 1996.

PB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Another griz attack down in the Gallatin yesterday. Quite frankly, if the buffalo don't step up their game, they are going to be losers in the annual competition.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    monadnock#5

The next time you encounter Officer DoughnutBreath, you may want to tell him to remove his cranial extremity from his anal orifice and read the New Hampshire State Statutes.

New Hampshire Statutes

TITLE XLV: ANIMALS

CHAPTER 466: DOGS AND CATS

Remedies and Penalties for Injuries Done by Dogs

Section: 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized.

466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Source. 1891, 60:15. PL 150:32. RL 180:32. RSA 466:28. 1991, 213:4. 1995, 298:17, eff. Jan. 1, 1996.

PB
    Thank you, I do appreciate your input. Now that I have the bear spray it will be my first option though.
    Winston Churchill

Bear spray? Yeah i think i got some of that i just took a look and it looks like they measure .458 and weighs about 500 grns travels oh about 1750 fps and leaves holes in every thing i deploy it on. Bears dont seem to like it much heck it even works on rabid log trucks
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I was a Correctional Officer in Ak for 20 years. During my academy we learned about bear spray/pepper spray. They both contain oleoresin capsicum (O.C.) as the active ingredient. The % of this is not what counts. The spray is rated by Scovill heat units. A jalapeno pepper runs about 7500 heat units, a habanero is about 100,000 heat units. Bear/pepper spray starts at about 300,000 and goes up to 3,000,000 heat units. In the academy we were required to be sprayed in the face from about 1 foot range so we could experience what one could do after being sprayed with the 3,000,000 heat unit spray. Then we waited about 20 to 30 seconds and were told to go by our self to the wash room to clean up. (about 50yds) Reactions were different from one recruit to the next with one fellow having no response at all and thought he had been sprayed with practice can. ( no O.C.) I know what I can do after being sprayed and I do not trust it to stop a ticked off bear. Also it comes in fog form or stream form depending what you want.
    I have had a lot of practice with drawing and putting a couple or three rounds on target with a handgun and believe I can do that quite a bit faster than most folks could draw and shoot, in the proper direction, a can of bear spray.
    A gun/holster combo is designed to be drawn and pointed in very rapidly. A can of spray is difficult to draw, defeat the safety, get a proper grip on and point in and fire even somewhat accurate compared to a handgun.
    You can keep the bear spray, I'll keep my hand gun.
    Without wearing some form of defense, you are not going to fare well. Bears are very fast and even if her husband had been armed there may not have been time.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I was a Correctional Officer in Ak for 20 years. During my academy we learned about bear spray/pepper spray. They both contain oleoresin capsicum (O.C.) as the active ingredient. The % of this is not what counts. The spray is rated by Scovill heat units. A jalapeno pepper runs about 7500 heat units, a habanero is about 100,000 heat units. Bear/pepper spray starts at about 300,000 and goes up to 3,000,000 heat units. In the academy we were required to be sprayed in the face from about 1 foot range so we could experience what one could do after being sprayed with the 3,000,000 heat unit spray. Then we waited about 20 to 30 seconds and were told to go by our self to the wash room to clean up. (about 50yds) Reactions were different from one recruit to the next with one fellow having no response at all and thought he had been sprayed with practice can. ( no O.C.) I know what I can do after being sprayed and I do not trust it to stop a ticked off bear. Also it comes in fog form or stream form depending what you want.
    I have had a lot of practice with drawing and putting a couple or three rounds on target with a handgun and believe I can do that quite a bit faster than most folks could draw and shoot, in the proper direction, a can of bear spray.
    A gun/holster combo is designed to be drawn and pointed in very rapidly. A can of spray is difficult to draw, defeat the safety, get a proper grip on and point in and fire even somewhat accurate compared to a handgun.
    Without wearing some form of defense, you are not going to fare well. Bears are very fast and even if her husband had been armed there may not have been time.
    They gas ya in boot camp i remember it to this day tho it aint as bad as some say and if i remember right its an aerosol form of pepper spray. A couple years ago someone had one of the little bottles for someone to stick in a purse or whatnot and it just happened that i was eating a taco. So me being me decided it would make good hot sauce and it really wasnt that hot compared to some sauces. Maybe it was just a cheap brand i dont know but they thought i had lost my mind

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Nailed it!!

Boolit Master
    "They gas ya in boot camp i remember it to this day tho it aint as bad as some say and if i remember right its an aerosol form of pepper spray. "

I know when I was in the Army, (1976-1979) the gas chambers used a 100% CS powder, burned, to produce the gas. I saw different reactions by different people. I also got put in charge of my unit's chemical stuff after boot. We kept a big metal container of pure CS in a connex by itself away from other things. I used to have to go get the powder for use in the chambers. It got to where I could do so w/o a mask.
    Some folks have a worse reaction than others. I'll assume bears can be the same way.

The proper way to carry bear spray is the same as you'd carry a handgun. Set up for FAST deployment. A hiker can strap a can of spray to the front of their backpack, (normally recommended) to where it's immediately available with either hand.

Personally, I prefer having as many options as possible.

But I'm also practical. A bear is an animal. The law allows for the killing of an animal that is attacking me, or someone close to me. I want something that can kill the animal, so that I know I have effectively stopped the threat. As such,, I prefer to carry a handgun or other firearms if I feel I may encounter an aggressive animal,,,, two legged or 4 legged.

How about that ....
    Mentioned earlier about the bears in Tahoe and the "Bear League" , now there is an article couple days later .
    In the past this lady and others have raised a fit about how bears are treated by the state wardens ..now she is dealing straight on with the public herself ..
    Link:
    https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/art...o-15555264.php

This year with all the refugees from the city's and more bears as time goes on ...
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast