Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close Range With My .44 C&B 12" Buffalo For Deer

Boolit Master

In NH in the regular season he is A OK. Restrictions are no 22rf, no smaller then 00 buck. Stupid OK as the 17 hmr is okeydokey legal for deer [from the legal dept. of NH F&G]. In ML season single shot rifle, smoothbore, Pistol. One may have a SS longun and a SS pistol together. Only exemption in ML season.

No ever said the F&G guys are smart.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Do not put unique in a cap&ball gun this is bad advice
    That was not advice , sorry I should have been more clear. I would never recommend smokeless powder for cap and ball Revolvers
    Last edited by onelight; 09-05-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper44shooter View Post
    Fellas I am wanting to know if my .44 C&B Revolver For close range during regular Rifle Season Here in VA. My load of 25 Grain Of Triple 7 shoots very well it would kill a deer at 25 yards or maybe a TAD i DO NOT want to just wound a deer & IT GOES OFF & DIES I COULDN'T SLEEP IF THAT WERE TO TAKE PLACE what do any of my fellow cap & ball shooters think let me know
    Some game hunting laws are down right stupid, no doubt and even go as far as allowing sub par equipment to hunt with. My opinion,if you are going to have a guilt trip for the rest of your life because a deer went off wounded and died a very slow and painful death,because you will,then I would pick a better choice for humanely taking a deer and use you cap and ball pistol for plinking instead. Why take a chance ?
    I once had a 270 Winchester that I took bear hunting,because I thought the 270 Winchester was the best thing going and Jack O'Conner was my hero. Well I had a bear come to bait,a big bear,and the first shot was like a bee sting so he ran off after flipping,then I shot and he rolled and got up and ran so out of desperation,I took a running shot because I was afraid he was going to run off and not be found. I shot,he rolled and off he went and we never did find him even after searching for three days. That searched stopped when I slipped and broke my hand. That was back in the early 80's but to this day,that one incident has hunted me ever since. Bad shot,poor ammo choice,poor caliber,I don't know,but I sold that 270 and never bought another one. Just not worth going through something like that again,just because somebody says something will be ok to hunt with or you read that well known hunter has used one all the time.It's your choice and you will have to live with it.Do your best and have fun and enjoy that part of hunting we love and not the part of hunting we hate.

Boolit Master
    I have been hunting with my 45 ML rifle and PRB for 30+ years. My general rule has been the longest range that round ball will still be going 900 fps on impact. I have had more than one deer do a somersault after being hit with a 445 round ball going a leisurely 900 fps. Few have gone more than a few steps. The round ball is an amazing projectile punching far beyond its 132 gr weight which conventional wisdom would say I would be better off throwing rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have been hunting with my 45 ML rifle and PRB for 30+ years. My general rule has been the longest range that round ball will still be going 900 fps on impact. I have had more than one deer do a somersault after being hit with a 445 round ball going a leisurely 900 fps. Few have gone more than a few steps. The round ball is an amazing projectile punching far beyond its 132 gr weight which conventional wisdom would say I would be better off throwing rocks.
    Ya,but the OP is talking about hunting deer with a C&B revolver. We know what a muzzle loader can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Static line View Post
    Ya,but the OP is talking about hunting deer with a C&B revolver. We know what a muzzle loader can do.
    I have no problems with taking a deer with my 58 remmie. Ya should look at the accounts of people who had to fight grizz with em when they showed up out west. Deer are powder puff in comparison
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I have no problems with taking a deer with my 58 remmie. Ya should look at the accounts of people who had to fight grizz with em when they showed up out west. Deer are powder puff in comparison
    Gee wizz,why do you call me on this? Some of the stories you hear about the old west is purely speculation or hear say. I wasn't there so I can't really say, but maybe you know something about time travel that I don't. I just told the OP that if he is uncomfortable about wounding a deer and having it get away, then he needs to choose a better tool for the job. I don't care what you do. You do what you want.They say Davy Crockett kilt a Bear with just his knife. Can you verify that too?

I wasnt calling or telling anybody what to do and i dont think id go looking for bear with a black powder weapon. But i know people who go with bows and arrows and i trust my 44s over a bow for the job. Not looking for a fight just an observation

Boolit Bub
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. But if I had to have the experience of killing a deer with a cap-n-ball revolver I'd use a Ruger Old Army. It'll handle a heavier load than the reproductions will.

CS

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by carolina sorillo View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. But if I had to have the experience of killing a deer with a cap-n-ball revolver I'd use a Ruger Old Army. It'll handle a heavier load than the reproductions will.

CS
    I can only get 35 grains in my ROA. Most reproductions should be able to fit that. If I were to deer hunt with a cap and ball, I would be looking at a Walker, and I would be shooting 60 grains of powder.

Boolit Master
    If you use Pyrodex "P" you could increase that 35 grains by at least ten percent.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    If you use Pyrodex "P" you could increase that 35 grains by at least ten percent.

Winelover
    Yup my Ruger would accept 40 grains Of pyrodex p by volume under a round ball and 35 under the Lee bullet.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I can only get 35 grains in my ROA. Most reproductions should be able to fit that. If I were to deer hunt with a cap and ball, I would be looking at a Walker, and I would be shooting 60 grains of powder.
    HAHA, that's funny. I actually had Walker typed in there and deleted it because I remembered the ROA was a strong gun. I almost left both in there but decided to delete the Walker. I really wasn't sure if the Walkers were as strong as the ROA but I knew they hold a buttload of powder.

CS

Boolit Bub
    I throw up in my mouth just a little every time I hear someone suggesting Pyrodex!! If you want to destroy a gun sure use it. Yes, it will do most anything you need a BP sub to do. However, it will also flash rust a gun faster than any other powder. I made the mistake of using that crap when I was shooting BP in SASS. By the time I got home from a match, maybe 2hrs after last shot was fired, my guns all had flash rust in and on them. When I switched to Goex 2Fg all that ended. I actually shot a match, put the guns away, shot a match the next month, put the guns away and made it half way through a third match a month later without cleaning. Half way through that third match the revolvers started to bind a little. I gave them a shot of Ballistol and finished the match without a hitch. After that match I cleaned them all and there was no sign of rust, fouling, pitting, nothing! It's true some of the old guns suffered from rust and pitting but it was NOT from the BP. It was from the Mercury in the old primers. Then here comes Pyrodex, "Saving the day" for ML hunters. They go shoot a few times, go home half a$$ clean their guns load'em up for hunting then shoot them after ML season half a$$ clean'em again and put them away. Next season comes, they drag the ol' sewer pipe out and cram a ball in it and blame it on "BP".

The last pound of Pyrodex I had, I poured on my lawn hoping it would at least make a decent fertilizer!!

CS

OK, I'm done, back to the topic.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, Pyrodex is not a good powder. It has one thing going for it, it is available in most areas. Outside of that, it is a downgrade. I believe in black powder, but if you really wanted to get more speed from say the Ruger old army, 777 is the way to go. The ROA is far more stout than any other cap and ball out there. I always found it strange they fit so little powder. Boy, can you imagine a ROA built on the 357 maximum frame, and held 60+ grains of powder?

Anyway, back to hunting. It seems 25 gr FFFg might even be slower than I predicted. I'm seeing some sources stating 650 fps. I've only used FFg in mine, and at 35 grains I seem to remember 850 fps. By comparison, I'm seeing 35gr 777 reportedly turning in close to 1000 fps. Some are even loading up to 45 grain, which I'm not sure how they are fitting it. Maybe they had their cylinder deepened? I have shot 40 grains FFg, but it seemed like it took more force on the loading lever than it should. At 1000 fps, I would feel ok about deer hunting with it.

It isn’t the mercury in the primers but potassium chlorite that accelerates rusting. Mercury is hard on brass though. In my opinion, the only advantage pyrodex has over original powder is it can be bought off of the shelf. Black lights easier, more consistent and cleans up easily.

Boolit Master
    Not getting into a pi$$ing contest over the use of Pyrodex versus black. Use what you want and believe what you want. I purchased exactly one pound of black and never finished it. Couldn't even give it away. I don't store explosives in my house, period.

Been using Pyrodex over thirty years. Haven't ruined any of my firearms...............because I clean them properly, as soon as I'm done shooting them. My Renegade is still loaded with Pyrodex "P" from last October and is no worst for wear. I am confident that it will go bang when I next pull the trigger. I have went as long as a couple of years, following this procedure.

Use the black if you want but don't complain when you run out of room for more FPS.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by carolina sorillo View Post
    HAHA, that's funny. I actually had Walker typed in there and deleted it because I remembered the ROA was a strong gun. I almost left both in there but decided to delete the Walker. I really wasn't sure if the Walkers were as strong as the ROA but I knew they hold a buttload of powder.

CS
    Walker was king until 357 mag came along

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12