Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 2520 loads

Boolit Mold

2520 loads

looking for a less than max accurate load for marlin 27s

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have the Marlin 27, but in my Marlin 94 I run 9.2gr 4198 under a cast 260283 plain base bullet. Runs just under 1300 fps and is squirrel headshot accurate. Bear in mind that my '94 has a faster twist liner in it.

Boolit Buddy
    I like 12 grains (or a tad more) of 1680 under the classic 257420 slug. I shoot a Savage 23 and a Contender though, so your mileage may vary. That slug is a well known 25-20 favorite with many, so don't be afraid to try it in your levergun. I think you'll look hard to find much better.

Chris

Boolit Master
    I'm using 13.5grs of H116 (same as 1680) and the 257420 for just over 2000fps in a win92. Barrel is not pristine but still shoots a bit under 2" at 100yds.

Boolit Master
    OP is asking about AA 2520 for reduced loads with cast. Don't consider any reduction that is less than 85% of what is recommended for a comparable weight jacketed bullet. Spherical powders don't behave well with reduced loads.............chance of SEE.

Winelover

I believe he's asking for, a less than max load for a Marlin model 27 25/20, that's accurate for someone who's tried it out.

Cast or jacketed, there's a whole bunch of combos that work. Depending on the condition of your bore. Get the bore good and clean, maybe try and slug it, and go from there. 4198, 4227, Unique, and a whole slough of powders can work for combination's you're looking for.

Do you have a certain powder you'd like to try, or have on hand? How about the boolits you have access to?

In the .25-20 cartridge & with Lyman's 257420 GC'd; 8.5 gr of 4227, 4.3 gr of Win 231, 5.5 of 2400, or 9.0 gr of SR4759 all give me 1" 3 shot groups at 50 yds with a Winchester lever action, M65 built in the mid-30's. I have an early Lyman tang sight mounted on the gun. My son's M92 Winchester carbine does nearly as well with these same loads. My alloy is air cooled wheel weights (ACWW), plus ~2% tin for good mold fill out. I also use annealed Hornady gas checks and size the combination to 0.259". Lube is White Label, 50-50.

For the most part, I've used R-P brass, but lately have been having good luck with Starline 32-20 brass reformed to 25-20. Primers are a factor in accuracy. I've used Win small pistol with 231, & Win small pistol magnum with the other powders listed above. It's worth some experimenting to see which gives you the accuracy you're looking for.

If you're looking for .25-20 brass, there's a thread here on this site which details reforming .32-20 brass into .25-20. For my use, I anneal after every three loadings to prevent neck cracks. It works well!

These are safe, moderate loads in our guns, work up to them if interested AFTER consulting a GOOD loading manual and considering all the pressure implications.

HTH's Rod
    Rod

Boolit Buddy
    in my marlin cl I am using the 257-420 over 12.5 of 1680 with a rp 6 1/2 primer. shoots pretty well. this shoots pretty well in the contender mgm barrel as well.
    Barry

My Marlin likes the 257420 sized .260"either with 3.5 grains of Red Dot or 9.0 gr. of Lilgun for a heavier load. The Red Dot load will stay in an inch all day @ 50 yds. and works well on squirrels and jack rabbits.