WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a new single stage

Banned

ive had a lyman orange crush, good press, probably as good as a rock chucker. Right now have a rock chucker and a lock and load. Rock chucker is built better then the lnl and those lock and load bushings tend to have place and work themselves loose. I also have one of the old rcbs Jrs. Another good press but it doesnt have the leverarge a rock chucker has. That one is used mostly for bulge busting cases. If price doesnt matter and you want a GOOD press get yourself a rockchucker. Its to single stage presses wha the 550 is to progressives. Brute strong and it will last two liftetimes.

Boolit Master
    A Rock Chucker is what I use inaddition to my 550, for me I don't see a need for any thing else.

Banned
    If we go back to post #35 we can see that Evoken is now the proud owner of a RCBS JR3.

I suspect that will serve him well.

Boolit Buddy
    Indeed Sir. Can't seem to post a pic, but made a mount and she's already bolted to the bench.

Just need to clean her up a bit and start running her. I think I will start with some 45-70 rounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    Indeed Sir. Can't seem to post a pic, but made a mount and she's already bolted to the bench.

Just need to clean her up a bit and start running her. I think I will start with some 45-70 rounds.
    Best of luck with the new press!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Evoken, I think you got a good press. I have a JR3 with 1977 date code that's no longer on the bench. If I needed to I would have no issues with putting it back in service.

Boolit Buddy
    To answer the gentleman that asked why not neck size them. These rounds are for bullet development for my dad and brother's bolt guns, full size was the only way to go.

Thank you for all your input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    dverna,

About the closest thing to a cure for the Rock Chucker spitting used primers everywhere, is a plastic straw. I wasn't aware of it until several years back and read about it hear on the board. The best solution, was to cut a plastic straw and slip it into the recess in the press ram where the primers drop out the bottom of the shell holder. The spent primer travels through the straw and exits much closer to the primer catcher. Sure solved about 98% of my problems with spent primers.

Murphy
    Yeah...that was my tip...It's been working good for years. The Burger King larger diameter straws work the best.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Stay away from the Iron man press. Wish I would have.

Evoken, I picked up a used RCBS JR3 press a few years ago on ebay. Don't know how or why but I was the only bidder and got it for $44.00 shipped. The funny story on this was the press was in Detroit and I am just outside Milwaukee but for some unknown reason it went from Detroit it Indianapolis to Eastern PA back to Michigan before going to Chicago and then Oak Creek Wi. to Milwaukee and then finally to my PO! Took two weeks to go from Detroit to Milwaukee.

Anyways that little press sat under my bench unused until about 2 weeks ago when I bought my 1st rifle, a 223. Then bought a Lee Universal Decapping die and put tat press to work. In a very short time I had a few hundred primers all over the floor. No biggie as I needed to sweep anyways. Next can a sizer die with Hornady Universal lube. Worked well but I thought it could use a bit more leverage.

Nice thing about it is that it is a short press and handles the short rifle cases very well. Enjoy yours!

Boolit Master
    I use my Partner press for one thing only, bullet seating and it works absolutely fantastic for that. I have it so it just cams over enough to remove all slack in the linkage.

Boolit Master

My Rock Chucker is over 40 years old and still going strong. It is equipped with the L-n-L adapter and all of my dies that are used in the single stage presses are equipped with the bushings including the RCBS bullet puller, Lee lead tester, universal decapping die; literally every one of them. The precision is the same as screwing individual dies in and out (maybe better because lock rings aren’t a factor) and if I need to correct something I can change dies in two seconds, make the correction, another two seconds and I’m back to the task at hand.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Late to the party as usual. My comment is, if your goal is a heavy duty application, “more is better.” Although they haven’t been available new for many years, my solution was to hunt up a Herter’s Super U-3. One of my mentors had me find one for him several years ago when the Rock Chucker proved too light for his needs. When I got to the point of buying a heavy press for myself, I figured “why not?”

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    My daily driver is a Redding Boss but my two RCBS Jrs. are not going anywhere.

One was my first press back in 1975 at the ripe old age of 19, I began my favorite hobby! That Junior carried the ball for 35 years before I placed my hands on another press

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I’m not a lee fan either but it sure is hard to beat the classic cast line of presses, like, real hard. However RCbS is gonna try with their new press just released! It’s bigger, everywhere, and has through ram primer handling. A good start! But, it’s 2x the cost of the Lee, and really only is an equal, not superior. But, for some cost isn’t an issue and color matters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I’m not a lee fan either but it sure is hard to beat the classic cast line of presses, like, real hard. However RCbS is gonna try with their new press just released! It’s bigger, everywhere, and has through ram primer handling. A good start! But, it’s 2x the cost of the Lee, and really only is an equal, not superior. But, for some cost isn’t an issue and color matters.
    I am one of the few that wants the option of priming on the press , I also like the way Lee controls spent primers , so I would go with the cast iron Lee , mater of fact I would trade my Lyman Orange Crusher for one

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    dverna,

About the closest thing to a cure for the Rock Chucker spitting used primers everywhere, is a plastic straw. I wasn't aware of it until several years back and read about it hear on the board. The best solution, was to cut a plastic straw and slip it into the recess in the press ram where the primers drop out the bottom of the shell holder. The spent primer travels through the straw and exits much closer to the primer catcher. Sure solved about 98% of my problems with spent primers.

Murphy
    Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Although I don't use one, the RCBS Rebel is getting good reviews.

I don't know why your 30-06 brass is hard enough to resize that you are concerned about your press' life. I have sized many, many 30-06 Garand brass on my old style Lee turret and Lee sizing die w/no problems. I use my Co-Ax now with RCBS dies and it's a breeze. I use Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream as case lube and sizing is problem free (HXP, Hornady, LC Korean War vintage, and mixed range brass).
    A friend has a Partner press. It’s fine for .38 Special, .45 Colt, .45 ACP and other low pressure cartridges but his concern is valid. They’re not strong and the mechanical advantage is poor.

I don’t recall the OP saying what lube he uses. Imperial Case Lube and Dillon are my favorite commercial lubes. For difficult resizing pure lanolin is fantastic. The buddy with the Partner press couldn’t size his .500 S&W on it. Even on my Rock Chucker it was difficult. After a little smear of lanolin on the cases they sized with about half the effort of Imperial.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by rswink View Post
    I keep looking at this lately.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Yes,,, Sizing .30-06 brass is a Piece O Cake with my tool. also you can take it to the range and do it there, or in your camper, or tent, or at the dinner table. It is portable !

Portability and Quality are two big items we strive for here at BPM !

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Randy,

Your press is a dandy, no doubt about it. I do think with my left shoulder with bursitis would preclude it right now. I have to go easy with my left hand doing light duty presently. Darned stuff anyway!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I ordered a Forster Co-Ax Press - cry once.

It will pair nicely with my Lyman Turret Press which will be used primarily for Pistol.
    Love somebody today

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast