Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a new single stage

Boolit Buddy

Need a new single stage

Gentlemen,
    I have a dillon 550 that does all of my heavy lifting, high volume production. However I am finding out that I like a single stage for some of my precision rifle and round development work. I am currently using a little rcbs partner press for this work. A nice little press, but I'm going to kill this poor little thing.

It has been working well for me with only a few questionable pulls until now. I knew it was weak when I got it, but only paid 40$ for it so thought I would give it a try.

I'm resizing some ought6 brass from my little bros garand, and boy is it hard on brass. I've already had one stuck case, always a pain to remove of course. I'm using plenty of lube, so much that a few pieces got hydro dents in them.

Anyway, this got me to thinking this little partner press needs upgraded to a bigger single stage. What are your recommendations for a new, current manufactured press?

I like rcbs equipment, if my dies aren't blue they are mostly green. But I'm not opposed to other companies, except hornady. I love their bullets, but don't like their dies, so I don't think I will like their presses. Maybe I'm wrong, I just think the l-n-l bushing system seems hokey.

If dillon made a single stage, it would already be on it's way to me!

I don't like the LNL system either. Its a solution for a problem I don't have.
    I really liked my old 007 without it.

When I got back into reloading, I got a new Hornady single stage.
    It didn't take long before I took off a O ring from one bushing and JB welded it back in the frame.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I really like my Lyman Brass Smith C press. No way to prime on the press but its pretty low effort to size 223 and 270. If taken a few cases of 30 06 and resized to 270 without issue. Ultimate Reloader on youtube has done a couple of videos comparing single stage presses, the effort to size brass, and other metrics. He has quite the setup. Gavintoobe is his name.

Banned
    I have been very happy with my Lee Classic Cast single stage. And I like the way the spent primers go down through the ram.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Bub
    When I was giving the Hornady Projector, I was having a hell of a time to get it adjusted. Now with all the help from forum members it is finally alive. But in the mean time I purchased a RCBS supreme single stage press and I tell that press really impress me. It is like butter to operate and so far after deprime about 1000+ rds still working good. may want to give it a look, beside there was a rebate going on so I basically got it for like half the price.

Boolit Master

I have sized many 30.06 and 7.52x54r brass on my lee o shape press. I now do them on my Lyman brass smith turret.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Mold
    I keep looking at this lately.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If I was getting a new, stronger press I would get the Redding Big Boss II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If starting over today, you only buy it once. I'm still using the Rock Chucker I bought in 1976.
    I would get a Rock Chucker or Redding Big Boss II.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The rock chucker is hard to beat without spending a wad of money.

Boolit Bub
    The RCBS Rock chucker is an extremely solid single stage that will last a lifetime and do everything you want to do on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm definently with the buy once cry once crowd. I have been looking at the Redding big boss machine. I know their dies come highly recommended, although I have never used one.
    The rock chuker is of course another option, I just wanted to make sure they are still quality units. I would not expect rcbs to cheapen them up, but 20 years ago I would have said the same thing about ford and harley so there is that.

Boolit Buddy
    I was reading some reviews and some people are saying rcbs outsourced to china. Can anyone confirm this? If so they are out.
    I am definately looking at the Redding presses, does anyone know the difference between the big boss and big boss 2?

I do everything on my lyman t mag without issue. I dont care for rcbs so i cant help ya there
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    My Lyman Orange Crusher has been good for 36 years and still going strong. It is a cam over design though, some people don’t like that but personally I think it’s the best feature. There’s always the option of just setting your die lower to eliminate the cam over too. To me the advantage of cam over is it sizes it twice in one stroke, although I can’t vouch for this to be any advantage but it seems like possibly this would help to minimize spring back on the case.

Banned

I have a Forster coaxial , a Redding Big Boss and 2 Lee single stage presses in the single-stage area and I use the Redding more than the rest. I also have 3 turret presses that I usually use as single-stage. To each his own I guess!

Boolit Master

If I was gonna buy a new single stage Id have a delema too.

I like the looks of the Hornady IRON press, The MEC press and seriously considering another CoAx press.

But truth told, many many will do exact same job for allot less $$.

Also dont overlook USED!! Also LEE cast iron press is a fine press too. (Im not a big LEE fan)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I've certainly been looking at used, but there is not much available locally. With the impending doom and gloom out there now everyone thinks their rusty old basement dweller press is made of gold. I'm seeing lots of them priced at or above new that look beat to death.
    Fleabay is an option, but you never know what you are getting.

Rockchucker, period !

Boolit Grand Master
    My Rock Chucker press was bought used. It does all my initial sizing and depriming of military brass. It can be pushed doing .308 machine gun brass but it has never failed. The biggest downside it has is that it spits primers all over the place. Maybe the newer models have that solved.

I would likely look at the Lee Cast press if I was buying new.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast