RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Identification

Boolit Mold

RCBS Identification

Hey everyone, I am new here and this seems to be a forum that actually moves. I was given some reloading equipment and was hoping ya'll could help me identify it so I can find parts for it and/or value it. I am currently serving in the military and don't actually have any room to even start reloading but was hopeful I could one day. Looking to see if it is worth just selling or saving for when I start.

I know the scale in the picture is broken, but I was just trying to layout everything I had received. If I need to post more comprehensive pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9873.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	267064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	267065

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    RockChucker first gen .
    Trickler
    Primer flipper tray
    505 scale , not a big deal to replace the hanger and pan .
    Probably primer tubes
    Powder measure stand .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Save it if you can that's all good stuff I hope the beam for the scale is in the box.
    Welcome to the forum , and thank you for your service .

Boolit Buddy
    Those are primer tubes, what's missing is the holder that mounts on the slot at the front of the press where the tubes go into, the primer holder on the press gets a primer when the ram is down and the holder swings back.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    I’ll second save, as for the scale yes the beam is the key part. Slow and judicious buying for future use can be a way to go. You have half of the important building blocks to get started.

It's a second gen Rockchucker. Thank horseshoe thing next to the primer flip tray is the primer catcher for the press.

As per getting rid of it, it's a tough call. It needs some TLC to bring it back to service so it doesn't deteriorate further. It's a single stage press that will do well for precision rifle rounds but will not be a production machine for making tens of thousands of rounds for action pistol or three gun matches. So if you are into fast shooting games you probably will want a faster press. It's one of the better presses available in it's class.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Save it if you can that's all good stuff I hope the beam for the scale is in the box.
    Welcome to the forum , and thank you for your service .
    Beam is still in there just broken. Still has original paperwork for the scale in the box. It’s just been sitting in my garage and being moved for the last... 6 years or so. My wife pulled it down and put a $100 price tag on it for a yard sale this weekend. I said “uh let me find out about this first”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    It's a second gen Rockchucker. Thank horseshoe thing next to the primer flip tray is the primer catcher for the press.

As per getting rid of it, it's a tough call. It needs some TLC to bring it back to service so it doesn't deteriorate further. It's a single stage press that will do well for precision rifle rounds but will not be a production machine for making tens of thousands of rounds for action pistol or three gun matches. So if you are into fast shooting games you probably will want a faster press. It's one of the better presses available in it's class.
    I only have 44 magnum die for it from Redding and RCBS. I was looking to use it for my 300WM to be able to load up and down for different game.

While i agree it’s looks rough, it definitely seems to cycle and function pretty well or what I feel like would be well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went and looked again and the ram isnt rusty like I originally thought. Just give it a wipe with your choice of lube and it'll be fine. For something like 300wm it would be excellent.

That hourglass shaped thing is a powder trickler.

As per price, the press alone is worth about 100. The other stuff maybe 20 bucks altogether. Maybe a bit more to the right person.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-02-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Rcbs has pretty good customer service and might replace the beam for you if you return it to them.

Banned
    Save it. 1st generation RockChucker's are going up in value, getting to be ore than $100.00. Take the bushing out and there is a 2 digit number indicating the year it was made. Or there is a casting lot number on the right side of the frame A1 through 12 will give you some idea of how old it is. First year is 1967.

In my not so humble opinion this is the best press ever made. YMMV. Too bad about the broken scale beam, replacements can be tough to locate.

The primer feeder is no loss.....many of us chuck em and use a hand or bench primer......then you can modify the spent primer tray with a utility knife, drill, .357 case and epoxy putty and do this to prep brass pretty darned fast for tumbling with pins.....

Oh! I can't forget the McDonalds straw..... The .367 case? I drilled the case through, as well as the bottom of the tray and epoxied it to mount a tube to it.

If you have the shiny finish on the press, its a Rock Chucker II. The first generation was flat finished and lighter in color. I bought mine new after giving away an Original 1st generation, in 1979. The first generation RC, I bought in 1971 or 2 new from Gander Mountain......so Generation II is younger than 1967.
    Last edited by GWS; 09-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to prime on the press just call RCBS and they will send you the primer mount free. They may have a beam for the scale but it would be luck - that's an old design. The primer mount is the piece that mounts to the top of the press and holds the primer tubes in correct orientation. It is a standard piece for almost all presses of that design.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    That is a 510 or 5-10 powder scale base. It was made by Ohaus. It shares a beam with the 10-10.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I'm in the keep it group. If you sell it now you might regret it later, the value will probably climb signifigantly over the years. Then replacing it will be much more costly.
    It doesn't really take much room for basic reloading. A small stand can be built or bought that wont take much room to store. Set this stand next to a table to hold your supplies and load away. If the other half doesn't like you using the dining table a fold table is easy to store when not in use. The other half may even find uses for it too.
    These can get stuck in the back or side of most any closet. All the other supplies can be stored in large plastic tote beside the stand.
    As other mention the RCBS Rock Chucker in any generation is a great press. It will handle most any cartridge that fit in most any factory rifle. The really big stuff like the 50 BMG needs a taller press but most anything less will fit.
    A lot of us started out with the RCBS RC press or used one somewhere along the way.
    I doubt you will hear to many complain about one. Even one with a bit rust can easily put back in action. If you can get it apart then clean and lubed you have a press that can last several lifetimes.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    Like many it is what I started with. But I did trade it off for a Bonanza Co-Ax (now Sinclair). Long story short, I now have another single stage that is extremely useful for a wide variety of tasks. KEEP IT, even if you move on to a progressive press, a single stage will always be useful! A little TLC and it will be like new!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    You said setting in our garage so you do have a place to reload. Just keep your powder and primers kinda cool and the rest in a plastic bin in the garage and start making

them custom loads!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Keep it. It’s a great classic press. Even if you decide you want a different type in the future, it’s always nice to have an extra press.

Boolit Master

Go to one of the on-line Retail sellers of RCBS equipment, there are many such as MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Natchez, Grafs, Brownells, RCBS itself. Check out today's retail price for many of the items in post #2, some of which (the press for certain) are no longer made, so its value cannot be found there.

For instance, the Powder Trickler - Midway's price today is $25 (for Gen II) not including any "redemption deal" or "free shipping - if you purchase more than $$$". This is what it will cost you in the future to replace what you have in hand today. The trickler will never wear out.

The primer tubes have worth. There are two primer pocket reamers (one is like a screwdriver brush, the other a double ender for LG and SM primer pocket reaming), which have worth. There is also one "hound dog head" of inestimable value.

What I am saying is, don't "give away" or sell your reloading tools for "peanuts". They have and will retain value. Replacements for these tools will cost you greatly in the future. You already have them in hand today - so KEEP THEM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    That is a 510 or 5-10 powder scale base. It was made by Ohaus. It shares a beam with the 10-10.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    No, that's the old 510 and had a unique beam that did not have the turning piece for the .10gr. It had an aluminum thin piece that fit on the beam just like the Lyman D5 scale.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast