Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Caster, lube reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    In second this. We all like making our own. But Lars products work for extremely well and are economically priced. Carnauba Red will work for everything. Messing around w/ lubes is not something I want to waste time on.
    I’ll third this... I am pan lubing everything from .357 mag to .475 Linebaugh with their carnauba blue. Very happy with this product. My pan lubed 200 grain .44 FN from Lee on the left next to a .240 grain .44 MBC bullet on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CF568431-047E-4583-8F84-5FDAAC2D687F.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Lars and carnuba red. When I started I used javelin . It worked great except when the temp got absurd 100+. Went to Lars' Carnuba Red and have had no problems. Lars is good to deal with . Carnuba Red does not melt in 100+ heat. I use a hair drier to soften in my luber/sizer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I'm new to casting and don't have any idea what makes a particular bullet lube for a particular application.
    I'm currently casting 454424 to load .45 Colt for a 90's era Ruger
    I just need to know more about the different properties of the various lubricants, and why I would use one over another for this particular application.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Ryan
    At 45 Colt revolver muzzle velocities any lube will work with smokeless powder. Just look for one that can handle you high outside temperatures.

If shooting real black power in your Vaquero (and you really should try it, you’ll be impressed with 35 grains of Old Eynsford 2fg or 3 fg) then you’ll need to use a lube that will keep the BP fouling soft. Lubes like commercial SPG or the homemade version which I use is Emmerts Improved. The special BP lube extra requirement is to keep the BP fouling soft, its lubing ability makes these two lubes work with smokeless powder too.
    I shoot my New Vaquero’s with Emmerts Improved with both BP and smokeless CFE-P, one lube works with either powder types.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 09-11-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tested my first batch. Not as consistent as I'd like, but now I have a process (or several) and variables to work with, so I'm right at home.

Added some more time to get the BHN up to around 9 or so, cast a potful, and pan lubed 72 more this evening.

This time I'm not resizing them, and I've upped the beeswax content of my lube to harden it more. People who use 50/50 must live in the Arctic, down here in Texas even 60/40 was too soft to handle, and I'm well past 2:1 now. I'll probably end up going to a harder, bought lube and a lubesizer, but for now I'm just playing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm certain I'll be back with more questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nah theres places in the Arctic that are warmer than here. In all seriousness though thats why we reload because what works for one may not work for another.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    GONRA's cast boolit reloading these days is for auto pistols where everything has been carefully selected so the lube groves are within the cartridge case.
    So I use pure Alox 2138 F from a gallon can purchased decades ago when The American Rifleman had the original article.
    Use it in my lube sizer as usual.....

Boolit Man
    Nice work, Ryan!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Ryan this lube will work just fine and there's enough to do thousands of bullets. https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...1odn86spg4rnq3
    What he said.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

those look good

sounds like you’re off to a good start

look into powder coating

shake in a tupperwear bin,
    20mins in a walmart toaster oven
    push thru size
    done

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC