WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Caster, lube reccomendations

Boolit Master

New Caster, lube reccomendations

I'm new to casting and don't have any idea what makes a particular bullet lube for a particular application.

I'm currently casting 454424 to load .45 Colt for a 90's era Ruger Vaquero. This is my first foray into casting, and I've been learning the melt and the mould for a while, to the point that I finally have a batch of decent boolits to load.

I don't have a lube sizer, I'm using the Lee sizer to bring them down to .452 for the Ruger, which slugged at .451. So I guess I'm looking at pan lubing the big, square lube groove in these guys.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LyhtKoBM6nfBkNPT9

I used a little liquid alox on a few to run them all through the sizer, and that worked just fine (no noticeable leading or skirting, just a tiny bit of the alox left in the die). So they're all sized down to .452, and ready to be lubed. But I know nothing about lube.

I live in Texas, so 100F+ is a regular occurrence, so something that won't melt off in my garage is going to be necessary. It's 101F today, and this is a cool front caused by the hurricanes in the gulf, so I need it to stand up to temps as high as 110F.

I'm fine with buying, and I'm fine with making my own, as long as I have a source for the ingredients. I just need to know more about the different properties of the various lubricants, and why I would use one over another for this particular application.

Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

Bees wax/vasiline is popular. I use bw/crisco or ya can use bw/olive oil theres only about 2000 recipes on here ya just need to add more bees wax to keep it stiff at those temps. Mix up a 40/60 mix set it outside and see if it melts. We got quite a few texans here who im sure will give ya their recipe
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

The easiest, simplest, most economical way to lube is to use 45-45-10 or Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL). Lube them as-cast, spread them out on a sheet of wax paper, load them the next day. Couldn't be simpler! For most pistol applications, sizing isn't required.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy

I also just tumble lube all my boolits in the 45/45/10 mix. Even all the boolits with traditional lube grooves all just get tumble lubed now. Way fasted and cleaner that pan lubing.

Boolit Grand Master

If you got the "liquid alox" with a Lee sizer kit it is called LLA (Lee Liquid Alox). You might just try that if it's what you have. Dig out and follow Lee's directions which should have come with the kit as you've already completed the first half of the steps. With LLA use only enough to put a light golden hue on the bullets and let dry thoroughly. I live in a much drier desert area which has been getting up into the 120s the last few weeks. When I use LLA it works for me here w/o any problems unless I put too much on......it only takes a light coat.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Ryan this lube will work just fine and there's enough to do thousands of bullets. https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...1odn86spg4rnq3
    Charter Member #148

Just about anything can be used for lube at moderate velocities. If you have gun issues such as incorrect cylinder throat size or a constriction or a rough bore, no matter what lube you use you'll have issues with leading and accuracy.

I would get some 45/45/10 lube and tumble lube if I didn't have my lubesizer. You can size your bullets dry provided your Lee sizer is smooth inside.

Boolit Master
    The Alox tumble lube works good for .38 and .357. Never tried it on anything else. For my .45 Colt, I have settled on the SPG lube. This after trying several different homemade concoctions for pan lubing and every single one was simply frustrating to say the least.

Banned
    I can't speak much to pan lube or tumble lube but I will put in a shameless plug for White Label.

https://www.lsstuff.com/

Great people to deal with and excellent products.

If you decide to go with a sizer instead of pan or tumble lube, I would recommend 50/50 for most standard pressure handgun loads and maybe BAC for the magnum stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    The easiest, simplest, most economical way to lube is to use 45-45-10 or Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL). Lube them as-cast, spread them out on a sheet of wax paper, load them the next day. Couldn't be simpler! For most pistol applications, sizing isn't required.
    Yep. If BLL works, and it should, it does not get any easier or cheaper.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I decided to go with a 60/40 wax to WP mix, because I had the ingredients on hand. I started with 50/50, then poured too much the first time, sank em up past the crimp groove on some of them. I tried cleaning them up, but ended up taking the lube out of the lube groove, so I cleaned em completely, added more wax to my mix, and tried again. This time it hangs in there nicely.

I cut the neck off a .300 win mag for a cookie cutter (and drilled out the primer pocket), which cuts about a .460 hole. That worked really well, except the inside of the case got my driving bands dirty despite 45 minutes in the tumbler after the neck was cut off. I'll clean it some more before I try to lube another batch.

Hope to load these this week, and do my first test fire this weekend. It'll be the first time I shoot boolits that I cast myself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aCzwJ7F5NbepSgjXA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oPDRg5qepMiQQFAp8

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I decided to go with a 60/40 wax to WP mix,

what is WP?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Have you considered Powder coating?

No lube and FAR LESS smoke. Plus softer allows means cheaper still casting costs as hard/more costly alloys are less needed and used. If ya dont like colors you can PC in clear and silver and be on the sly side. No one will know lessin ya tell them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I decided to go with a 60/40 wax to WP mix,

what is WP?
    Vaseline (white petroleum).

Ryan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Have you considered Powder coating?

No lube and FAR LESS smoke. Plus softer allows means cheaper still casting costs as hard/more costly alloys are less needed and used. If ya dont like colors you can PC in clear and silver and be on the sly side. No one will know lessin ya tell them.

CW
    I'm almost certain I'll end up there.

But I started reloading and minor gunsmithing the same way: slow, simple, and one step at a time. I need to know why, from experience, I would want to do it one way vs the other. I need to do it the old-school, low-tech way first, to understand how and why the newer, better, faster way is newer, better, and faster.

I don't want to skip any steps. One tech at a time, until I have a good handle on it. And then I'll start experimenting.

I've already looked into powder coating a bit, but it's yet another process I would need to learn, and I'm still working on consistent casting. But I'll get there.

Like you, I learned about lubing in steps. First, I tumble lubed with 45 45 10. Later, I perfected powder coating. After a year of using both of these methods, I bought a Lyman 4500 Lube/Sizer. These are not mutually exclusive techniques. I still use all three methods depending on the task at hand.

Boolit Master
    Without a lubesizer, I would not put much effort into traditional lubes. Most folks get tired of the effort and mess pretty quick.

As previously noted, tumble lube is good for anything less than "Ruger/TC only" type 45 colt loads. I use BLL for "target loads" (think 32 long, 38 Sp, 45 ACP). It is fast and easy and it works. Trying Lee lube is a good start. It works, but can be messy. If you find that Lee lube works (shoots without leading) for your load, switching to a make it at home tumble lube (BLL, et. al.) or 45-45-10 will be worth it in the long term.

I use ASBB PC for hotter stuff. There is more work involved in getting the boolits ready to load, but for most magnum pistol type loads I am able to go full power with no real effort required to get zero leading.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Vaseline (white petroleum).

Ryan

This is a very simple , soft bullet lube that has never let me down . Can be used in a lube sizer machine or pan lubed . You may want to write this down for future use . This is sometimes called Lithi-Bee lube
    From Garth Choate , " 3 parts beeswax to 1 part Lithium Grease . When we made it commercially , we used 24 pounds of beeswax and 8 pounds of lithium grease , did it outside and keep a couple of fire extinguishers handy . "
    I use a simple 3 to 1 ratio by weight and use Lucas Red-N-Tacky Lithium Grease from the auto parts store . If the lube needs to be hardened just add some paraffin wax ( Gulf Wax Household / Canning Paraffin) to the mix until it reaches the desired hardness

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I think choosing between all these recipes is harder than actually making the stuff it definitely takes longer to read all the recipes. If i was ya id start with the simplest and see how ya like it before ya start trying to render crude oil into something useable.
    Last edited by Ozark mike; 09-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

New Caster, lube reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I can't speak much to pan lube or tumble lube but I will put in a shameless plug for White Label.

https://www.lsstuff.com/

Great people to deal with and excellent products.
    I’ll second this. We all like making our own. But Lars products work for extremely well and are economically priced. Carnauba Red will work for everything. Messing around w/ lubes is not something I want to waste time on.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 09-04-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Apple auto correct is atrocious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast