Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Thompson Scout Pistol Shooters Advice/Info Needed

Boolit Mold

Thompson Scout Pistol Shooters Advice/Info Needed

I've been shooting a TC Scout pistol for years now mainly using the .45 barrel and TC ready made Maxi Hunter bullets. I've run out of TC bullets so started casting the .45 REAL in both 200 and 250 grain but not completely happy with the results accuracy wise. As I'll be taking the occasional pig I'm not sure how the REAL will perform on live stuff whereas I know the TC bullets did the job perfect so can anyone who has personal experience suggest a mould I could try for both target work and hunting ? I would love to get the TC mould but they seem a bit thin on the ground right now unless someone on here knows where there's one for sale.

Boolit Master
    Have a new TC #7280 Maxi ball 45 cal if interested PM me /Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Try the REALs with and over powder wad. It usually helps.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post

I would love to get the TC mould but they seem a bit thin on the ground right now unless someone on here knows where there's one for sale.

I found a source for NOS .45 MaxiHunter boolits F/S - please check your PM's.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Don't waste your time with the REAL. You can find maxi ball molds without too much trouble, and may work even better than the maxi hunter. It looks like Edward has one. Another option is to try 45 caliber pistol bullets.

boz,
    I also sent you a personal message about .45 MaxiHunters for sale.
    Check your Inbox in the top right hand corner by clicking on your name and then click on "Inbox" on the drop down menu.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-01-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the PM's and replies on here. I should have said that I'm in Hampshire England not New Hampshire US so having bullets shipped over is too expensive so will carry on looking for a mould or two. As I'm new on here I cannot post in the wanted section yet. PM's replied to...
    Last edited by boz; 09-02-2020 at 06:42 AM.

boz, If you're going to look for a Maxi-Ball mould, look for the T/C's over the Lymans as they are much more dimensionally consistent. Additionally, the MB-Hunter moulds are quite rare and priced accordingly. Btw, I tried a box of MB-Hunters in my 1:28 twist Green Mt. bbl. and it performed dismally compared to a "normal" Maxi-Ball. Another option is to use a sabot with something like Lyman or RCBS Keith CB's, I'm thinking .357? diameter?

Boolit Master
    I also agree. Thompson B/P bullet molds seen to cast a bullet a bit more accurate than Lyman when shot in T /C_B/P weaponry. I cast a few T/C Maxi's every year for a 45 & 54. When wanting a HP tip. I lightly drill or slightly dimple the bullet's business end with a Delta drill press and machinist vice. Works good and bullets shoot pretty accurate so long as the drills depth isn't at all excessive or drilled off center.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I also agree. Thompson B/P bullet molds seen to cast a bullet a bit more accurate than Lyman when shot in T /C_B/P weaponry. I cast a few T/C Maxi's every year for a 45 & 54. When wanting a HP tip. I lightly drill or slightly dimple the bullet's business end with a Delta drill press and machinist vice. Works good and bullets shoot pretty accurate so long as the drills depth isn't at all excessive or drilled off center.
    How deep do you drill ?

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    How deep do you drill ?
    The MaxiHunter hollow points aren't too deep.
    Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17007785.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	267212

And --->>> https://media.mwstatic.com/product-i...g?imwidth=2200

Here are close up photos of a .50 MaxiHunter mold showing 2 different pins used for hollow points.
    One is a very shallow dome and the other has a little deeper point, my wild guess would be that they range from 1/8" - 3/16" deep. --->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...n-Center-Molds

The amount of expansion would also depend on the bullet weight and velocity.
    And a narrower hole may not expand as much.
    Here's a photo of an expanded 275 grain .50 Maxihunter shot from an inline rifle and it was about 90% flattened.
    See post #21. --->>> https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=394557

A person could also "possibly" drill a hole into the base of a bullet to help it expand to engage the rifling like a minnie bullet.
    If 2 or 3 different size drills made a hole to different depths, the skirt would resemble steps.
    It would create a more front heavy bullet which are considered to be more accurate than nose heavy bullets, and would be highly experimental.
    But there would be nothing to lose if you're casting your own and only better accuracy to gain.
    A person would need to keep track of the drilling depths to make sure that the shape of the skirt was repeatable if it worked.
    If the skirt is too wide or thin, it might break off of the bullet inside the bore if too much powder is loaded.
    That does happen when shooting some very heavy minies out of large bore rifles.
    And if the skirt is too thick it may not expand without enough powder.
    A person could start with making a thick skirt, and even if it didn't expand, it could affect or improve accuracy.
    You never know unless it's tried.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-04-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, very interesting, will try the above. Incidentally, managed to find a TC mould, just waiting for it to arrive from canada.

Boolit Master
    How deep do I drill? depends. Drill table has a 4- handled Chicago mail order machinist vice attachment so to square up most things before their drilling. A nice feature. So when I want to weigh the projectile over & over drilling for a desirable weight it's a simple job to vice up again where the maxi was originally set. Bullet weight for 54 cal maxi can be reduced but I never drill below minimum weight published listed. I've drilled 54 T/c maxi points to their outer wall in order to create a cone like cylinder with two/three different drill sizes. In the end .370 gr. was achieved for my use. (such maxi's make BIG holes exiting and disappointingly large wound channels)

Boolit Grand Master
    Haven't done it a lot, but have drilled using a centering drill bit to make the HP. I like it better than the standard drill bit.

Boolit Master
    When using Aluminum molds. Remember to smoke the mold with a candle occasionally.