Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Subsonic 240gr N.O.E cast bullet on deer. 300Blackout

Boolit Bub

Subsonic 240gr N.O.E cast bullet on deer. 300Blackout

Yesterday I got a call to deal with two fallow bucks tangled together in someone’s garden.

One turned out to be dead already but the other was thrashing about intermittently and was able to drag the other deer short distances.

Although it was a rural location there were three neighbouring properties, horses and a public bridleway to consider.

Discreet humane dispatch with cast, subsonic 240gr N.O.E. Bullet, suppressed/moderated 300Blackout.

12.5” barrel. Recessed suppressor:

Entangled Fallow bucks:

Post-mortem/terminal ballistics:

Boolit Bub

Part 2

Recovering 240gr cast bullet:

Recovered 240gr cast bullet (retained weight 157gr; some of the nose fractured off):

Boolit Master
    Wow that's wild!..

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Sectional density is a tremendous indicator of ability to create a wound channel and kill, and 300blkt subsonics have it in droves.

Excellent performance. What was the range of the shot an what alloy did you use?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Excellent performance. What was the range of the shot an what alloy did you use?
    My question as well. How hard/soft was the alloy?

Good show!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I’m wondering how much difference it would have made without hitting the heavy bone on entry??
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    My question as well. How hard/soft was the alloy?

Good show!!

CW
    It’s soft (BHN 9.2 using the Lee tester), just lead and a little tin, but only marginal stability in my barrel (1:8) at this speed. As a result, in everything I’ve shot with it (not much), it seems to yaw, turn sideways and bend in half. Not true expansion but similar effect.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I’m wondering how much difference it would have made without hitting the heavy bone on entry??
    Ice pick wounding is a concern, though I’ve not seen it yet. As a result, I had a mag with 125gr Speer TNT supersonic loads in my pocket (125SST and 110Vmax are alternatives I’ve got loads for- they expand at Blackout velocities at sensible range.)

Boolit Master
    Was curious because a good friend has an SSK 300Whisper and has been looking for hunting bullet. If the stability was borderline enough to tumble it with a soft tissue hit I thought you might have had experience there. Looks like some good eating, guessing you didn’t get the “proceeds”.

Meant to ask, is you can user serviceable? Any plastic build up from the coated bullets?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Thank you for sharing
    Well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

That was a rough way to go for the one buck. At least, you were able to spare the other some suffering with a quicker end.

A hunting mentor of mine has a pair of firmly locked elk racks and skulls that he found; and where (true wilderness) and when (before grizzly or wolf rebounds there) he found them those bulls, sadly, died slowly and badly.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Bub
    I got the meat, yes.

This particular can is not user serviceable (all but one of my others are.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangman View Post
    it’s soft (bhn 9.2 using the lee tester), just lead and a little tin, but only marginal stability in my barrel (1:8) at this speed. As a result, in everything i’ve shot with it (not much), it seems to yaw, turn sideways and bend in half. Not true expansion but similar effect.
    thank you!

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the video, pictures and write up. Quite informative post. My surprise is that you can own the semi-auto rifle in the UK. Glad to know Wales is less restrictive than other UK countries.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Thank you for the video, pictures and write up. Quite informative post. My surprise is that you can own the semi-auto rifle in the UK. Glad to know Wales is less restrictive than other UK countries.
    It's not semi-auto, just a straight-pull. We can have s/auto 22LR and shotgun.

In theory we can have other stuff but even more tightly controlled, to the extent that ownership is impossible for most.

Boolit Master
    Makes a man Thank God for living in the U.S.A.--- Til the Liberals take over!! Keep Prayin' Boys We Need All The Real Help We Can Get! On Bended Knee!

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty cool that suppressors are easy to get in the UK. Is that the case? Suppressors in the USA are regulated heavily and in 9 states prohibited. Unfortunately Massachusetts is one that prohibits them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bangbangman View Post
    It's not semi-auto, just a straight-pull. We can have s/auto 22LR and shotgun.

In theory we can have other stuff but even more tightly controlled, to the extent that ownership is impossible for most.
    So basically a AR with no gas port, Gas block, gas tube or gas key on bolt (bcg) then?

CW

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DGV View Post
    Pretty cool that suppressors are easy to get in the UK. Is that the case? Suppressors in the USA are regulated heavily and in 9 states prohibited. Unfortunately Massachusetts is one that prohibits them.
    Suppressors (or moderators here) are relatively easy to get, but still controlled; your Firearms Certificate (FAC, which you need to buy, own and use firearms) needs to stipulate that you can have one but the FAC-issuing police dept are usually happy to put this on the FAC without question.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    So basically a AR with no gas port, Gas block, gas tube or gas key on bolt (bcg) then?
    CW
    Yes- though with a modification to the BCG: addition of a cocking handle that allows relatively fast operation (and without the rotation component of a traditional bolt-action.) Still slow compared to s/a or f/a.