Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: I hate pins!

Boolit Master

I hate pins!

Have you guys had any luck cleaning dirty 22lr jackets without pins? Maybe with an ultrasonic?

Super small bottle brush
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I just tumble with dawn and citric acid in a cement mixer for an hour or so and they are clean enough for my swagging.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I just tumble with dawn and citric acid in a cement mixer for an hour or so and they are clean enough for my swagging.
    Mine are pretty clean but not squeaky spotless inside. I guess that's good enough. I tumbled mine in a FART for about the same time using the same stuff. I did the pins once and it made me want to jump off a bridge. I'm sure a small brush would work but I'm trying to do a lot of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you having trouble separating the pins? I tossed my into a salad spinner and give it a few spins back and forth.

Boolit Master

I don't hate them, but only rarely use them any more.

It takes lees time to turn a new derimming punch than separating 5 lbs of pins a few batches of rimfire brass.

Like Rancher1913, citric acid and dawn do a pretty good job for me too.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thraxx View Post
    Are you having trouble separating the pins? I tossed my into a salad spinner and give it a few spins back and forth.
    I have the Frankford Arsenal separator but the slots are too big. Maybe I need to look in the cooking section.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    I don't hate them, but only rarely use them any more.

It takes lees time to turn a new derimming punch than separating 5 lbs of pins a few batches of rimfire brass.

Like Rancher1913, citric acid and dawn do a pretty good job for me too.
    When is your deriming punch worn out? Mine already has the ring on it but the jackets still come out useable.

Boolit Buddy
    yep, I have an FA separator, too. If i had to use that for .22 cases I'd be quitting as well.

The cases tend to fall through the cracks of the dehydrator too. I started putting them on the part that's used for making fruit roll-ups.

Vendor Sponsor

As far as I know the Dillon media separators are the only ones I know of that the holes/grooves are not bigger then derimed 22lr brass.

Southern Shine media is pretty good at not getting stuck in cases.

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Try copper plated BB's I've used the SS chips as well but they may bunch up in those small cases. Another trick I use is removing the water and straining out what ever media I can, then place the cases back in the tumbler with a 1"x2"x3/8" strong ceramic magnet from HF. I tuble them for several minutes to collect the media that falls out of the cases. I'm using the Original F.A.R.T.

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-pa...r-wet-tumblers

Boolit Master

When the roughness starts to cause problems.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    My FART holds 22LR by the rim and drops the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Have you guys had any luck cleaning dirty 22lr jackets without pins? Maybe with an ultrasonic?
    You can always go "old-school" & boil the daylights out of 'em! I bought a HF ultrasonic for prep'ing the empties before de-rimming but the boiling method seems to works just as well. For the record, neither boiling or ultrasonic gets them squeaky clean.

After annealing, SS pins are all that seem to work good enough to get the jackets GTG. I use a kitchen colander to separate.
    Last edited by pertnear; 09-01-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    As far as I know the Dillon media separators are the only ones I know of that the holes/grooves are not bigger then derimed 22lr brass.

Southern Shine media is pretty good at not getting stuck in cases.

Swage on!

BT
    Ordered! Wish I know this before I bought the FA version. Oh well. Money well spent if it works. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Try copper plated BB's I've used the SS chips as well but they may bunch up in those small cases. Another trick I use is removing the water and straining out what ever media I can, then place the cases back in the tumbler with a 1"x2"x3/8" strong ceramic magnet from HF. I tuble them for several minutes to collect the media that falls out of the cases. I'm using the Original F.A.R.T.

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-pa...r-wet-tumblers
    I'll try the BBs thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    You can always go "old-school" & boil the daylights out of 'em! I bought a HF ultrasonic for prep'ing the empties before de-rimming but the boiling method seems to works just as well. For the record, neither boiling or ultrasonic gets them squeaky clean.

After annealing, SS pins are all that seem to work good enough to get the jackets GTG. I use a kitchen colander to separate.
    Have you had jacket separation with less than spotless brass? All I want is functional boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I use two containers from the 99cent store, the larger one on bottom and the one with drain holes on top. I fill the container with water about 4"high. Then set the one manufactured with small holes on top. I then empty the drum with shells and pins on top. All that is needed is to swish them around and the pins fall into the lower container. I also have an old shopping hand basket that is made of a fine wire mesh screen. I use the same method with the basket.