RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: New 44 mag rifle

Boolit Master

New 44 mag rifle

Just got a new to me 44 mag traditions rifle. What do you all recommend for load or over all length? It has a 1/20 22 in heavy fluted barrel. The load that shoots great in it now is a 300 gr xtp loaded with imr 4227 at 19.5 gr. I want to start cast in it and the lee 310gr. c340 310 rf looks like a good place to start. I nice plinker load will be great to shoot paper at 100 yards at And closer. I have red dot all the way up to H110 or 2400 to use. The blue dot or Herco I just bought should work great also. The lead I will be using will be wheel weight or 50/50 Pure with wheel weight. Never loaded for a pistole caliber rifle before. Only thing close is my high point 40 S&w carbine and it likes higher end loads with HS6 with a 165 to 175 tc lead or plated bullet.

Id use fluffy powders that fill the case like trail boss or even a slow powder like h322 as long as its accurate. Ya may not like black but id run it before id use a powder that only partly fills the case. That said i have used powders like unique and 231 which are fine but i dont like half empty cases. Also for plinking a round ball and grease cookie in a 44spl cant be beat for cowboy loads got a whole box of em here for that purpose
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

Your 310 boolit will be traveling about 1400 fps with H110 and 2400 good place to start. I got a mold from arsenal molds in the 245g area that I load with tightgroup in the same fps range so I don't have to change my zero and its fun to shoot. Ozark mike is correct lots of space left in the case with tightgroup. Lyman's cast has lots of data for the 44mag. If you don't have one, it's a good idea to invest.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 5744 for large capacity cases at Black Powder velocities.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. The real black or trail boss I didint even thank of. I will try trail boss for sure. The black I want to try but only have a little left. 1/2 a can or a bit more. Hard to get unless I do the 300 mile drive Total drive or mail order with high shipping. I got two bottles of trail boss left so I can use that. Most of my shooting will be at paper at 50 yards or less but would like to try it at 100 Yards. If it shoots good there will try 150 yards. Do you all thank a gas check is nessacary

Boolit Master
    Necessary at 1200 FPS or less . The hot loads at 1400 will probably need it.

240 gr cast of 50/50 COWW and PB, lubed with LLA, over 9 grs of Unique. All day fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk