Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 358 velocity, soft composition

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I get my powder from Smoke who is a member here. I use the clear for my long range hunting loads. It goes on easiest and coats the smoothest imo. The above purple & black mix was just for fun. My gun is a 1970 centennial microgroove rifle. Even when my boolits get dinged up from tumbling the clear fills in all the dings. They are glass smooth with smokes clear PC. It’s normally $20 a pound shipped and $2 for some air soft BBS from him. I use Betty Crocker dollar store containers to tumble in. I pick them up with a needle nose pliers and drop them into a second Tupperware container to bounce off the excess and then stand them up to bake. I back for 20 min at 455 degrees...my oven temp is off. I believe 20 min at 400 degrees is the standard. I seated this with a pusher I sanded flat. I used the factory conical pusher now so the nose stays more tapered.

Even with all my cast boolit variables in order my heavy 5.5 pound plus trigger pull hindered my groups as you can see....till I lightened it. And BTW I have shot up to 2650 FPS in other calibers with zero leading using smoke’s PC to date.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-08-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    OK I'm in, Just shot a PM to smoke hoping he'll get me started. All advice & input appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I had luck with the Saeco 245 and H322. I took a doe with
    Also the Lee 208 gr as cast did well I do not have the data in front of me also with H322
    the 245 were in the 2100.. 2200 fps
    the lees were in the 2300s just now coming back to work with them.
    And got some GT 220 gr loaded with heavy loads of h322. I looking to see what range I can get as well as accuracy. Because I would rather use my .358 as a all around rifle--- I can with Hornady 200Flex tips but trying to see what can get with 220s-- H 322 has been good for me

Boolit Master
    GLynn41; Are you powder coating? & what is your alloy?

Boolit Master
    have not pcd-- I have used mule snot lube-- and carnauba red from Le Stuff and sometimes I water drop
    alloy is recovered bullets ww and a bit of type metal added and shoot as cast --my gt bullets' are 359/ will start PC next week after I shoot what I have loaded now

Boolit Master

Im not a fan of any fillers in a bottle neck case at all. Just try / use different powders.

I am traveling this road too. Kinda wanted to be at my destination, but other calibers took Precedence for me. I just received a Saeco 352 and being a 35 cal nut this would be only one possible caliber in a field of 5-6 others to use it in.

I bought a NOE 360-232 expressly for the Ruger Grice 358. Its proving a good shooter, but a mediocre feeder. (WFP design RD reminiscent but wider meplat) I target 1800+ but not wanting over 21/22. 3031 4895 and RE7 have worked for me.

I also have the use of a MP 359-220 shown above in purple. REAL NICE BULLET!! I have yet to fire in the 358 or Whelen. But its shooting NICE in the Maxi and Legend!!!

Alloys I pretty much just shoot COWW +tin for these velocity hunting bullet and everything is powder coated. I have tested and recovered my bullets at this velocity and they work well.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 230gr Ranch Dog design in my Grices 358 winchester, and while it shoots very well I also found it to be a poor feeding boolit. I contacted Ruger and they sent me two of the 450 bushmaster magazines, they are a single stack so extend a bit below the stock but feed the big flat nose cast bullets very well.

Boolit Master
    Using Powder Coat; Is an Allox residue in the barrel of a rifle going to make a difference, or should it be stripped of all residue & then start with powder coat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Using Powder Coat; Is an Allox residue in the barrel of a rifle going to make a difference, or should it be stripped of all residue & then start with powder coat.
    . Intresting question... Im gonna say YES it will have some effect simply because it will not be a constant. Meaning the more ta shoot the less residue from the lube will remain.

Glynn, I like many of those GT bullets. Last time I bought they was just offering harder allys. Mine where about 10:1 ish 12 bhn. They shot quite well from
    My Maxi at 13/1400. Never tried in bigger 45's. My buddy bought and I powdercoated and kept just a few ta try.
    But I do but a 50g 25 cal and a 220 .40 cal for my 25/20 & 10mm. That lil 25 is an EXPLOSION ON lil critters!! (Both HP bullets) I have a load worked up thats just shy of 1150 in my 6" KKM 10mm and it expands and balls up into nearly a 1" ball!! Using Blue Dot.

Beter economics for me to buy occasionally AS CAST from them. As 250 lasts me over a year in these specialized bullets. (Yes I cast and actually cast more then most doing so a couple times a week.)

CW

Will it actually HARM? Doubtful. At least in my mind. Reality trumps and mine is just a guess.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Clean barrel would show you if you are getting leading
    clean it and have some fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new here and don't know much about casting bullets, but it seems I walked a different path and found decent results. A Win 94 Trapper .30-30 shooting Lyman 311041's alloyed with 50/50 lead/WW and enough tin to make is sort of a 30:1 ratio. They weighed about 175 gr and with H335 were shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yards with a receiver sight. Velocity in the 2,000-2,100 fps range, no leading whatsoever.

Boolit Master
    Accuracy, with velocity being a plus haven't heard any use (or shooting) of powder coat along with lubed boolits, (maybe PC'd & lubed)? Hey Goofy!; Was yore loads loobed, powder coated, both, or do you have a little secret that you might want to share?????

Boolit Master
    Oh by the way my Rotti pup (9-mos. old) is named Goofy, She's gonna be the Wonder Dog! ( I Hope)

Boolit Buddy
    Versa, sized .309, a shank dip in thinned ALOX and dusted with a blend of motor mica and graphite after it dries.

I hope your Goofy isn’t as clumsy as me.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm! Sounds slick! I've found in my 30 cal. experience (However Limited) that .310 &.311 has tightened up my groups well. Your mileage may vary. Keep at it my friend, you have not completed the course (what ever it may be) until the last shot is fired! And what will that be At????? Versa-06 Jim

Boolit Master
    Her original name was Izzie, but her nickname is Well Deserved! Next, Wonder Dog! (Again I Hope!)

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    OK I'm in, Just shot a PM to smoke hoping he'll get me started. All advice & input appreciated.
    Did you try any tumble coating PC yet?

Boolit Master
    this might be stupid question but will powder coated allow faster velocity with softer alloy. all ive ever shot out rifle were clip on wheel weight cast or clip ons mixed with some Lino and fastest ive ever got cast bullet going with good accuracy is about 2100fps, that's my ideal 35 rem load. but I'm soon headed into uncharted teritory with 2520 powder in 35 whelen, load data ive got the starting load is about 2400fps, I need to cast some more 35-220's from old mp group buy, but have plenty 35-200's cast checked and lubed

Boolit Master
    Haven't tried the tumble powder coat yet, I wanted to find out why so many are trying different colors. It seems that a few comments lean toward clear for a little more velocity & maintaining accuracy. Just about done with helping the grandson move into their new house (Boy have they accumulated a lot of stuff) so I plan on getting the ball rolling Monday or Tues. I've decided to try 1lb. clear & 1lb Bacon Grease Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    this might be stupid question but will powder coated allow faster velocity with softer alloy. all ive ever shot out rifle were clip on wheel weight cast or clip ons mixed with some Lino and fastest ive ever got cast bullet going with good accuracy is about 2100fps, that's my ideal 35 rem load. but I'm soon headed into uncharted teritory with 2520 powder in 35 whelen, load data ive got the starting load is about 2400fps, I need to cast some more 35-220's from old mp group buy, but have plenty 35-200's cast checked and lubed
    Yes, I've shot 2200 FPS with soft 7.8 bh alloy out of my 35 rem with zero leading and decent accuracy. Was going to try the same 50/50 10.4 BH hp boolit out of my Whelen at max jacketed velocities but it won’t feed cast.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-26-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast