Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Can a Win mod 670 stock be converted to a Win mod 70?

Can a Win mod 670 stock be converted to a Win mod 70?

I was wondering if a Win Mod 670 stock could be router'd out for Mod 70 bottom metal, or are they too different? If it can be done, besides a trigger guard & floor plate, would a new follower & magazine box be needed?

TIA
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Yep - but M-670 "hardwood" stocks are nowhere near as nice as M-70 walnut stocks (synthetic=synthetic), and there will be a gap along the RH side of the tang, where the stock was inletted to make room for the M-670 side safety.

Also one has to be aware that the barrel diameter/contours between the M-70 & M-670 might mean that the barrel channel
    need some work.

FWIW, I've picked up take-off M-70 stocks from gunsmiths and/or gunshops that handled stock changes for some customers, for $75 +/-.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    It can but its less frustrating to just pick up an m-70 stock like Pietro said. its like turning a remington 700 adl to a bdl.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    It can but its less frustrating to just pick up an m-70 stock like Pietro said. its like turning a remington 700 adl to a bdl.
    Just curious, how hard is that ADL to BDL wood stock conversion? Seems like there are more Rem 700 stocks available.

I came across a 670 with a really nice piece of wood & the price seems like a bargain. I'm not sure about the tang safety? The one already have & the one I'm looking at, both have M70 safety's on the bolt(?)
    Last edited by pertnear; 08-29-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Adl to bdl is childsplay if you have all the parts ie trigger guard with floor plate & magazine box. the guard screws and the mag spring & follower are the same in a Remington. I would think the Winchester is the same. The 670 was a economy m 70 from the early 1970's if I remember right. What are they asking for the 670 ? To do the conversion remove the 2 guard screws and the screw that holds the front of the receiver to the stock, remove the old mag box, then install the bdl mag box into the under side of the action and install the stock and trigger guard/floorplate assy being sure the mag box fits into the groove in the frame of the floorplate/guard assy, use the front and rear action screws to hold it all together and thats it. One trick I learned on good quality bolt guns is to get the front action screw down good and tight but to just get the rear action screw a hair more than snug. This puts a little less tension on the action. There are two things too be careful of 1 be sure the mag box fits properly and 2 don't over tighten the rear action screw cause you can bind up the action so the bolt won't travel properly.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 08-29-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: @#$%^& spell check

I bought 670 stock at show, like new but turned out to be Ranger model stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    .....The 670 was a economy m 70 from the early 1970's if I remember right. What are they asking for the 670 ? To do the conversion ......
    The rifle was $300 with an old B&L scope & looked pristine. It was chambered in .30-06 - but it sold. I didn't need it but I felt like I should of snatched it up, just going on instinct.

The B&L scope & mount base was worth $250- $300 by itself.

The B&L's had a sealed tube w/o any adjustment turrets which could be the source of a leak that leads to fogging. (IOW, pretty much bullet proof)

The B&L mounts held the W&E adjustments, and once they were set, the scope could be moved from gun to gun w/o the need to re-zero - provided the other gun(s) also had a zeroed B&L mount.

The M-670 was an 'economy" model, why the "hardwood" stock and the move to skip the complexity of the M-70 bolt safety and use a safety on the side of the tang.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Yeah, I kinda figured the Bausch & Lomb scope was worth at least a $100. Besides, I didn't need another rifle, especially a .30-06, but he who hesitates is lost.

Boolit Master
    Forget who said it "but the 30-06 is never a bad choice". At last count I have 4. M1 Garand, Sporterized 1903A3, Sporterized model of 1917, Sako Hunter, And a couple model of 1917 actions still in their original form. Both the Springfield and model of 1917 were bubba rescues way back when. The Springfield cost me $89 and the 1917 cast me $60. When the Springfield was done I had about $350 in it, and when the 1917 was done that ran about $275had iron sights installed on the springfield in hindsight I should have had it D&T for scope mounts and the bolt altered. Had two bolts for the springfield. one was a standard A3 bolt and the other was from an A4. Yes a snipers bolt.So the smith set the headspace for both bolts. So you could mix and match bolts and be assured the headspace was good. To be honest I didn't even know there was a thing as a sniper bolt for the springfield until someone clued me in. the springfield sits in a fajen stock and the 1917 sits in a fatboy '17 stock. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 09-01-2020 at 12:10 AM.