WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiappa M1892 - Good, Bad ?

Boolit Master

Chiappa M1892 - Good, Bad ?

I saw one of these rifles in .44-40 recently. Nice looking rifle and I do like .44-40 Starting to get an itch. Who has one? Any problems with it? How do you like it? Is it drilled and tapped for a tang sight? My old eyes need one. Thanks.

The one in this review video has a tang D/T'd & plugged (screw).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z471OptfbzU

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have one in .45 LC. No Problems. Stock could be a better grade of walnut.

Boolit Master

This morning I went down and bought the .44wcf Chiappa m1892 rifle. It was marked as used, but it sure looks new to me. When I got home, I didn't even bring it in the house. Instead I brought out my shooting gear and an assortment of loads made up for my '73 carbine and headed for the gun club

At the range I found it operated very smoothly and functioned perfectly. Since I've not yet slugged the bore, I did not know what to expect. After playing with the sights a bit to get it on target at 50yds. It did pretty well. The best load seemed to be the duplex load of 4gr RL7, 30gr Goex 2F and the 30-1 427098 bullet sized .429".

I'll be adding a tang sight to help my 60+ year old eyes. Overall I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, function and accuracy of the rifle. I know Chiappa's quality has been spotty in the past. But this one is a winner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200830_145830_copy_1612x336.jpg   20200830_132700_copy_1612x907.jpg  

Looks like a keeper. Like to have one in 357 mag.

Boolit Master

Good snag, Enjoy.....................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    great score

Boolit Master
    that's a fine looking rifle I'm sure you will will enjoy it.
    I remember back in the 80's people would turn the nose up at the cloned winchesters. but as it turned out many of them are perfectly good firearms. I've had the opportunity to get a few 1892 clones at really low cost and all of them are still perfectly good in function and accuracy after shooting thousands of rounds through them

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    that's a fine looking rifle I'm sure you will will enjoy it.
    I remember back in the 80's people would turn the nose up at the cloned winchesters. but as it turned out many of them are perfectly good firearms. I've had the opportunity to get a few 1892 clones at really low cost and all of them are still perfectly good in function and accuracy after shooting thousands of rounds through them
    Even more recently, their quality has been questionable. But I have to say I am impressed with this one. The metal finish is nice, it functions perfectly with my reloads with 3 different bullets. It is smooth, so needs no slicking up. The color case hardening is nice, but not overly gaudy. The wood is nice, but not fancy. Its what I would expect on a standard grade rifle. No high gloss, plastic like finish either. This was my first time out with it. Accuracy seems very good. After I get the tang sight on and maybe some new glasses, I'm confident that groups will improve.

Boolit Buddy

I have the same one in 357 mag. It's a shooter, my load is 6 gr. of unique and 158 rnfp Lee bullet.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master

I was looking for a take down model early this year. Wanting a 357 Mag.

Ended up buying another 45 Colt.... ROSSI! It was MUCH cheaper, but very very nice with dark walnut oil finished and obviously hand rubbed for quite some time. Its action was nearly glass rods but barrel loading gate and parts showed little use. Half what I probably woulda spent on the TD and Not what I wanted... But Im not at all disappointed. I have had three orig '92s always wanting one in 45Colt. This one just might be better!

I can watch and bide my time for the Chiappa TD 357...

Good luck with yours sounds like a NICE ONE!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Here is a close up photo showing the color case hardening and wood to metal fit. I ordered a Marbles tang sight for it. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1892 close up.jpg  

Boolit Master

The Marbles tang sight arrived yesterday. Its not the same as the originals, but it will help my old eyes see the target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marbles Tang sight.jpg  

Boolit Master
    It's the only brand that has a rifling twist suitable for hunting loads instead of cowboy action loads. In 44Mag, Chiappa has the same twist as my SBH revolvers. My Marlin is too slow for 300 gr flat nose bullets that my SBHs like so much.

Boolit Master

The Chiappa M1892 at 100 yards with the Marbles tang sight. I pulled one shot low to the left. But otherwise it's a very respectable group. I'm very impressed and pleased with this rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200907_155623_copy_567x848.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    The Chiappa M1892 at 100 yards with the Marbles tang sight. I pulled one shot low to the left. But otherwise it's a very respectable group. I'm very impressed and pleased with this rifle.
    NICE! - thought you might end up happy with this gun

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Chiappa M1892 "Alaskan" takedown with a 12 inch barrel in .44 magnum. I the last 6 months I have probably tried over 25 different loads for it. So far with a 240 grain tmj bullet and 2400 have given me the best accuracy at 50 yds of 2 3/4". I'm still working on load development with cast bullets. Very smooth cycling and I am amazed how well it cycles 240 grain LSWC bullets.

That is some fine 100 yd. shooting with the tang sight!!! You’ve got a keeper for sure !

Boolit Master

I dare say, its every bit as smooth and accurate as an original M1892 Winchester from back in the day. Chiappa has really turned things around from how they use to be. I am really enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    This morning I went down and bought the .44wcf Chiappa m1892 rifle. It was marked as used, but it sure looks new to me. When I got home, I didn't even bring it in the house. Instead I brought out my shooting gear and an assortment of loads made up for my '73 carbine and headed for the gun club

At the range I found it operated very smoothly and functioned perfectly. Since I've not yet slugged the bore, I did not know what to expect. After playing with the sights a bit to get it on target at 50yds. It did pretty well. The best load seemed to be the duplex load of 4gr RL7, 30gr Goex 2F and the 30-1 427098 bullet sized .429".

I'll be adding a tang sight to help my 60+ year old eyes. Overall I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, function and accuracy of the rifle. I know Chiappa's quality has been spotty in the past. But this one is a winner.
    Delete!!
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast