Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zinc Wheelweights

Boolit Master
    I found some really odd ones that I had never seen before in this last batch. They were all plastic! At first I thought they were lead with a thick plastic coating to protect the wheel. But when I sawed all the way through one, I found it was ALL plastic. Some sort of a composite I suppose... plastic mixed with steel dust perhaps.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Would cast zinc boolits be hard enough to damage a gun bore?? I am thinking/fearing that sooner or later we are going to have to find a cost friendly sub for lead...

Vettepilot

Boolit Mold
    Those new plastic ones, plastic coated, and zinc made up about 30% by volume of the last 5 gallon bucket of WW that I picked up. They can make a mess real quick if you miss one like I did.

Boolit Buddy
    If you’re only getting 30% zinc and plastic you’re doing better than most. At my shop I’m lucky if 10% of the bucket is lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Would cast zinc boolits be hard enough to damage a gun bore?? I am thinking/fearing that sooner or later we are going to have to find a cost friendly sub for lead...

Vettepilot
    I remember MANY(!) years ago an article re: making bullets from zinc. I was so young... I remember super high velocity due to the light weight and that they were hard, but I don't remember anything said about bore damage. Steel bullet jackets are used and I doubt that the zinc is harder than soft steel.

I wonder how difficult they'd be to push through a sizer? Would they need lube or coating?

Boolit Master
    There are several videos on youtube about guys making and shooting zinc bullets. Elvis Ammo, Eagle Eye Shooting and some dude called Willie the bullet man.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I've seen their videos. I doubt if anyone has enough rounds down range to know about bore wear. (Maybe the government.)

From what I've read, steel jacketed ammo does cut barrel life, approximately in half. I've chosen personally not to use it.

Vettepilot

Boolit Buddy
    Great!
    Zinc bullets mixed in with lead bullets at the range where people "mine" for lead.
    Just what casters love.....zinc mixed in with their lead.....NOT!
    Grr-rrr.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I've had that thought too. When melting down scrap to make ingots, I keep a thermometer going in the pot. Don't let the temp get above about 650/675f. This has saved me grief a couple of times...

Vettepilot

Zinc casting is a probable future for many who want to stay in the casting business. We just haven’t learned nearly as much about it. It can only screw up the melt if you treat it like lead. I plan to start casting pure zinc soon since I have collected so much. Pure zinc boolits will cause less trouble to those who mine berms than zinc alloy boolits since they will readily float on the melt and be skimmed off. They are also a little less likely to fragment in the berm. Nobody who digs up a berm really knows what he’s getting anyway. How about some bismuth from the guy patterning his shotgun a few lanes over?

Boolit Master
    GONRA believes the really "el Bigo" ("muy largo" to you intellectuals)
    thing "Zn boolit castin' " needs is a Proper Plug In Electric Zn melter.

Backyard Redneck cobbled propane Turkey Fryer stuff doesn't count.

>>> IS THERE AN ELECTRIC POT OK FOR Zn MELTING? <<<

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    ("muy largo" to you intellectuals)
    Muy Largo does not mean very big. It means very long - at least in Sapnish.

Jim

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez OOPS!

I accidentally melted some zinc in with some lead and made them into "lyman Ingots." I have no idea what the percentage is. So now I have about 100+ ingots with some of them mixed. Can I re melt all of them again to a lower temperature to separate out the zinc from the lead? Or can I just go ahead and make bullets?

Accuracy is not a goal with them. Will be casting 9MM.

Boolit Master
    What vettepilot said!

Sold my zinc ww’s when I sold my scrap metal recently. Good riddance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gifbohane View Post
    I accidentally melted some zinc in with some lead and made them into "lyman Ingots." I have no idea what the percentage is. So now I have about 100+ ingots with some of them mixed. Can I re melt all of them again to a lower temperature to separate out the zinc from the lead? Or can I just go ahead and make bullets?

Accuracy is not a goal with them. Will be casting 9MM.
    There's a thread around about removing zinc from your melt. If you search for it, you should be able to find it. I think it is a sticky.

Before going to all of the trouble though, try casting some and see what you get. There is another thread about using a small percentage of zinc as a hardener. You might be able to dilute that zinc enough to get it to work for you. You don't know until you try. Make sure to post your results so that we all can learn what did or didn't work for you.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll 2nd the suggestion of trying to cast with it before going to any extra work. A small % of Zinc shouldn't hurt anything.

Boolit Master
    My understanding is that any zinc in a pot will literally contaminate the pot itself, which would then need to be discarded. Apparently this applies to any other tools, such as molds, etc., as well.

I have no direct experience with this problem, but that's what I read, and it causes me to be very cautious about getting any zinc contamination.

My understanding is that zinc must be cast very hot. But be really careful there. If you get it smoking, you're going to get zinc poisoning. I've had that twice from welding, and trust me, you don't ever want to get it

Vettepilot

Boolit Master

One two zinc weights in ten pounds of lead is nothing to worry about. Some are moving to Zink bullets because they can't use lead bullets anymore. Add that Zink melts in the high 700s and it's easy to get some in your melt.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast