Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zinc Wheelweights

my guy gives 10c per pound for steel ww's , shady will get my zinckies . also if you dont sort them first the zinc on the bottom may melt before temp melts all the lead , so i sort mine , plus it keeps the molten lead from sticking to the zinc when removing them , but after sorting look for the floaters sometimes i miss one .. then you can scoop the floaters out with the dross.
    Last edited by badbob454; 01-08-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    I have 3 washers and 2 dryers 3 mowers and a truck load of galvanized pipe. The recycler is about 20 miles from me would you think it's worth my time and gas to haul it all over there? Or would I be better off giving it to the junk man that picks up junk and hauls it away for free?
    Unless your vehicle uses a lot of fuel It will put money in your pocket. To increase your profit, separate the aluminum, and motors, from the appliances. The better you are at this, the better you get paid.
    Remember I am retired and my time isn't expensive. YMMV
    I save spent primers and bad brass, along with plumbing valves etc, until the price is high. Thats when I take it all in one trip. This time of year there are lots of grills at the curb, that have a fair amount of aluminum.
    I might be distant kin, to Hainey on Green Acres and Fred Sanford.

Swamp Man,
    I just took a half van load of assorted junk, and i recieved $96 for it. I was surprised.

Also, the real treat was that someone had brought monotype in and I was able to buy 19#s for $.80 a pound.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scarter View Post
    The melting point for zinc is about 100 degrees higher than for lead, so i always scoop out the junk as soon as the lead reaches its melting point and figured that that kept the material zinc free. Is that not correct?
    I use this method as a last check. I sort my WWs, but a few always seem to sneak through the process.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Thanks guys. I have a friend that has a washer/dryer graveyard he pulls parts from I was going to dump the washer/dryers there a while back but never did because I didn't want to drive them over. That's when I thought about giving them to the junk man but you guys have changed my mind I think I'll scrap them myself. I work for myself on my farm and have plenty of time so I'll load the truck and 20" trailer and run all of it over at one time and see what I can get. I'm sure I have more then enough junk here to load them both to the max and then some.

Boolit Master

The recycler I buy my lead from allows me to go thru his 'mixed lead bin' which has primarily ww in it. I am able to sort out the zinc from lead so I only bring home the good stuff. Down side is I have to pay .35/lb for it. The tire shops I have visited have not been to friendly in wanting to give up their junk. Probably the worry about being sued.............I do live in a state where the famous get acquitted of murder and........well I'll leave it there!

For sure, pull the motors out of those appliances. I don't know where the rest of you are at, but a used electrical motor will bring $75 or more on Craigslist around here.

In my state they've outlawed lead WW all the new tires put on are balanced with the zinc or steel WW. What I've been doing is when I take a tire or rig in to get new tires I ask the tire guy for MY lead WW's. I get mine and they have been giving me the bucket as well.

Boolit Buddy
    zinc if you got any kind of zinc send it to me for lead

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Shady I would like to send you my zinc, but the cost would prohibitive it's 12 thousand miles give or take a mile, What do you do with them? Maybe I could turn them in to cash some how, I get squat from the scrap dealer

Old War Horse
    Find a new scrap metals dealer?
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Man

Is there a good way to get the zinc out of the mix?
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooternz View Post
    Hi Shady I would like to send you my zinc, but the cost would prohibitive it's 12 thousand miles give or take a mile, What do you do with them? Maybe I could turn them in to cash some how, I get squat from the scrap dealer
    what can you do with them? cast into bullets! use a steel mold, one that you aren't particularly in love with. Ladle cast from a separate pot. separate pot, you can share molds and ladle if you clean them both. Never put the lead in with the zinc and vice versa, makes the famous oatmeal.

Casts just fine, you have to tap the mold to get the zinc to "seat" so to speak. Makes ugly bullets. But they don't need lube, they size easy enough, and you can shoot them with ridiculous amounts of powder. it makes for a flash bang at the range. Daylight visible muzzle flash.

Anyways, fun little plinkers every once in a long while.

Old War Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    what can you do with them? cast into bullets! use a steel mold, one that you aren't particularly in love with. Ladle cast from a separate pot. separate pot, you can share molds and ladle if you clean them both. Never put the lead in with the zinc and vice versa, makes the famous oatmeal.

Casts just fine, you have to tap the mold to get the zinc to "seat" so to speak. Makes ugly bullets. But they don't need lube, they size easy enough, and you can shoot them with ridiculous amounts of powder. it makes for a flash bang at the range. Daylight visible muzzle flash.

Anyways, fun little plinkers every once in a long while.
    Hhhhoooorrrrraaaaahhhhhh!
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Just remember, zinc gathered up after separating the lead WWs, can be ingoted up and sold to scrap yards for cash!! Yes, Zinc has cash value!!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptain kartridge View Post
    Just remember, zinc gathered up after separating the lead WWs, can be ingoted up and sold to scrap yards for cash!! Yes, Zinc has cash value!!
    Who's our CB member who trades zink for PB????
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Who's our CB member who trades zink for PB????
    That's "SHADYGRADY". See post #190, at thr top of this page.

Boolit Bub
    There is no easy way to sort either a magnet can be tricky

Boolit Mold
    Good to know! I will be picking up mine from a local tire shop and will have to sort them so this give me a decent way to ID all of those pesky buggers.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast