Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Hodgdon/IMR Green/Red/Blue powders

Boolit Master

Hodgdon/IMR Green/Red/Blue powders

With supplies getting scarce, it's getting hard to find go to powders like Alliant Red/Green/Blue Dot & Universal. I do see the availability of the Hodgdon/IMR-Green/Red/Blue powders. Lots of talk about them on the interweb. "Green burns cleaner but is more dense", "use same loading data as Alliant powder". Then found a post about revised loading data using less powder because of pressure issues. What can you tell us about your experience with these powders? These would be use for shotgun, rifle & pistol cartridges with cast bullets. Mostly 12/20ga shot shells, 30-30w & 35R in the 150-160r bullets, 38/357 & 44mag. moderate loads. I also read "Alliant Unique and Hodgdon "Universal Clays" are nearly identical." What's your take? I have some experience reloading & am also now loading & shooting 35R with cast pistol bullets & 10gr Unique. I am now set up for shotgun reloading as well but am waiting on some components. I have also found a somewhat outdated Powder equivalent chart I'll post a screen shot of this as well: http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/

Boolit Grand Master
    This chart is useful for suggesting alternate powders of similar burn rates, PROVIDED, one is aware that powder charges won't be identical at similar pressure. WW-748 may burn at a similar rate to H-335, but the charge weights will be different, often by more than the five percent suggested in the above catalog.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    There are many powder burn rate tables and all vary to some extent. This table (adi-powders) may be most different of the 'average' burn rate table with many differences when compared to others. Burn rate tables just provide GUESSING points for alternate powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Burn rate tables just provide GUESSING points for alternate powders.
    Exactly.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I suggest using published data from lee hornady lyman ect ect.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I noticed some online place about a week or 2 ago had red, blue, green, and target at super discounted prices. it might have been Grafs or powder valley
    I'm sure it all goes bang when you pull the trigger just have to work up loads

Boolit Master

Imr red and target were on sale awhile back for 119 a 8 lb jug , I had run out of unique and went to imr target for replacement , picked up some red also for the price , went off sale before I could get more ( I know hoarder syndrome ) it is running good for me , data on hodgdon site so good to go , no issues I have found , but I am not loading wild , its middle of the road in what I am shooting .

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using IMR Target for awhile and it's one of the most consistent and cleanest powders I've tried. Of the others I'd only use the Red as I use Promo but have not tried it as I have some Promo left
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I'd get a loading manual and see what all different powders are listed for doing what you want them to do.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Both Hodgdon and IMR powders are in the Hodgdon Annual Manual. Hodgdon is now the distributor (owner?) of IMR.

Boolit Master

The IMR Red has worked well for me. It's darn near a Red Dot clone.

I've also loaded the Target. It works quite well. It's in the same range as Bullseye.
    NRA Benefactor.