Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Late Father's 22 Mauser

My Late Father's 22 Mauser

Not wanting to hijack Pressman's thread, here is my late Father's 22 Mauser

And the modified sights I mentioned.

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Nice old rifle.

Unusual piece. Appears to have been well cared for. If you were up here on the top of the world I'd try to swap you out of it!

Your dad had good taste - You apparently have a beautiful pre-WWII Mauser Mm 410 B Patrone.

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/mause...lr-452124.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    303guy, Thanks for posting, that is one nice rifle and even more so when you get to shoot it. It looks and feels like a real rifle, not another .22
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Your dad had good taste - You apparently have a beautiful pre-WWII Mauser Mm 410 B Patrone.

Yup. That's the one! Thanks, I tried unsuccessfully to find it on the net. I could only find the close 350 B. Mn 410 B it is. Can one determine the year of manufacture from the serial number? So it doesn't have the eagle stamp making it pre 1940. Apparently all records were destroyed at the end of the war but is seems the eagle stamp appeared as s/n around 22x,xxx so mine would be anywhere between 1934 and 1939 but I would guess closer to 1939. I know my Dad bought it pre-war when he was magistrate in the Mkuzi area of Zululand and I can probably find out when that was.

It has an interesting one piece bolt with a central firing pin. the bore is offset to the center line of the bolt to bring the firing pin in line with the cartridge rim. This means that on locking the bolt, the extractor move off the rim as the bolt rotates. I should take a photo of it to show y'all (those that are unfamiliar with these designs). This also puts the bolt in the right position to pick up a cartridge from the magazine. This thing even has extraction camming.

Mine still carries the front sight protector. While I can see the sight better without the cap, I never took it off and don't plan to now.

Oh yes, yesterday I was aiming it in the bushes and found that tiny needle tip front sight hard to see. My eyes were tired so that's my excuse. When I was young I had no problems with it. I wouldn't mind finding an original replacement rear sight blade but I don't hold out any hopes for that.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-29-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Correct, but "Patrone" is not part of the model number. It simply means "cartridge". Part of my life's work is to get people to stop using this in a description of a German rifle.
    It's equivalent to someone saying "I have a Winchester Model 69 cartridge".
    Now that I have that out of my system, that's a very nice Mauser Schonzeitbüchse(basically, small game or off season rifle). I'm lucky enough to have 2 of them; an unaltered rare 5-digit serial number example, and a very nicely "sporterized" one that I like almost more than the "original" even if someone altered it years ago.
    Last edited by gewehrfreund; 08-31-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifle. I always liked the 22 trainers. I got a Chinese JW15 trainer that I like very well. It’s A pre import One and made a lot better than the ones that where imported the 90’s. It’s a tack driver.

Boolit Grand Master

303 you have got a bute there, love the Mauser banner on any reciever! I guess what makes it even sweeter is the fact that it belonged to your late father, a true heirloom.
    Charter Member #148

Yup. Thanks swheeler. My father spoke of his hunting with that rifle quite often. He often emphasized the Orberndorf Mauser with pride. Having it in my hands now is so meaningful. And my club application has been acknowledged and I go for my acceptance interview on the 13th. I asked if I could bring my rifles and they said sure. Guess which rifle I'm taking!
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-02-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Wow, what a beautiful rifle and it was your dads to boot! I have my dads Type 99 Arisaka in as issued condition but considering the job your dad had, I'll bet that little Mauser could tell some stories.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    That looks awesome!

Boolit Master
    303guy said

"Oh yes, yesterday I was aiming it in the bushes and found that tiny needle tip front sight hard to see. My eyes were tired so that's my excuse. When I was young I had no problems with it. I wouldn't mind finding an original replacement rear sight blade but I don't hold out any hopes for that."

I made me a little "dot" from finger nail polish with a little metal flake in it to contrast the surrounding. Brilliant white or florescent orange have worked pretty good. Maybe the girls got a sample you can try.

I finally got the rifle to the range.

I'm pretty sure my aiming was better than that. I'll be testing it with a few different types of ammo next session.

How far was the target ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

25m. That group is really poor! At that distance with the sights it has on it I should have been able to keep all shots in an area smaller than that white square.

I took the Mauser to the range again today. I had taken it out a few weeks ago too. With a scope I can better assess the guns accuracy. Well, previously with a scope I did get a few promising groups, much better than the first outing. Today however, it really grouped!

Still at 25m so not fantastic but better than I can shoot offhand. That is 10 shots. Not sure why the first shot was high - I had just fired 10 shots with the same ammo after using a different ammo. This was Eley Club.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-10-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Oh HELL yes!

The reason so many of us jumped on CZ 452's is because we want - and can't find - .22's like THAT.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    That is a good group. I really like good quality 22’s. My burno#2 is about as fancy as I have. I have never seen a German 22 like that very nice. You mention not taking of the front sight hood. In the picture it is missing. I took my hood off on my jw15 and my burno. I can see without it so much better. I took it off because I didint want to loose it . It’s already came off on me a few times. I shoot with a scope now so it really doesn’t matter. I can’t see the sights at all now any way. Hope you can find a rear sight.

I must say, that sweet rifle has such a smooth action. It must be kept oiled though or it goes sticky. The bolt open cocking is so effortless it can be down with a flick with the back of the finger, followed by a rearward flick to eject the spent case. Just drop a cartridge onto the magazine and close the bolt. So silky smooth! Flawless feeding as a single shot, which is how I like to do it on the range. And the the trigger - perfect! It has a long first stage which is fine for bench shooting but I do prefer a short first stage for field shooting. I did find myself taking quick shots in the field, forgetting the first stage. That's where the short travel first stage comes in.

So I objective for my next range session (which are becoming dodgy now that the winter rainy season begins - got lucky today with mostly sunny and calm weather after a week of rain and wind) is to fit a higher power scope and set up a more stable rest. The target was going blurry after a while, so I was just aiming for the middle of the blur. An adjustable objective lens is a must for my eyes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast