RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading screw up

Boolit Buddy

Reloading screw up

I was in the middle of swaging out peened case lips using a Lyman neck sizing die and a pin gauge. It’s a good technique which you can read about at http://www.texas-mac.com/Removing_Ca..._LIp_Edge.html. About half way through 200 cases everything was going smooth until the necks came out of the die with lots of scratches. Although the cases were clean, they were stored in a cartridge box with the necks down. I forgot to wipe each one to eliminate any grit on the necks prior to inserting in the die. Apparently one picked up some grit which embedded in the die. After polishing out the die with 1200 grit emery and finishing with jeweler’s rouge I was back in business. So be sure to wipe those cases prior to resizing.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

I have been told that I am OCD , over cautious.....
    All of my brass gets thoroughly tumbled clean before they go into a sizing die. Even if using a relatively inexpensive Lee die the result can change your plans for the day.
    Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Buddy
    The cases had been tumbled clean, which I always do prior to sizing, but after thinking about it I remembered dropping one on the bench & it rolled around a bit before I grabbed it. I'd previously been sharpening some tools on the bench & thought I'd cleaned up good afterwards. That one case likely picked up the sharpening grit I missed.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.