Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which rifle

The 30.06 will definitely do the job, but if he does not already own one, I suggest the 308. You can still set him up for reloading; just buy a set of 308 dies. I have an 30.06, but if shopping a new one, I would switch to 308.

Boolit Master
    If he already has a 308 hunting rifle, he’s got all the deer gun he needs. And they shoot cast hunting bullets just fine too. Good many years ago, I decided to buy the one scoped hunting rifle to do everything (in my world, don’t care to bear hunt or “long range”), 308 Winchester Kimber Classic won the job. Ten years down the road, I stand by the choice.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Of the cartridges you mentioned; from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from Canada to Mexico- the 30-06.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

06 hands down. Best big game round ever made. Its what all others are measured by.

I’m with the crowd 30/06 or 308. I get tired of 6.5 fans. There have been excellent 6.5s for a long time. More popular in Europe. I don’t know how many rifles I have owned in my life but 1st new rifle I got was a Win 70fw in 308. Second new rifle was Rem 742c in 3006. Many hundred rifles down the road I still have the Win 70fw. Not sentimental but because it is outstanding in accuracy dept. The love affair with 742c didn’t last one deer season. I traded it for a win 70 standard 30/06.
    Just recently sold it only because thinning collection way down. Any rifle especially BAs that I keep for 50-60 yrs. you can bet are outstanding shooters. Also I might add the 30/06 and 308 are not finicky rounds. You can find lots of used ones from Milsurp, low end to top shelf and they all will get job done and ammo easy to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I don't hunt, but I got into a hunting rifle discussion.
    So...which caliber would be good for deer in wide open country (longer shots)? Or, just in general deer hunting.
    .30-06
    .30-30
    6.5 Creedmore
    Of the 3 cartridges [the 30-06 and the 30-30 are the same "caliber"....no criticism intended as yours is a common misuse of terminology, just pointing out the difference] the 30-06, as mentioned by many, is the better for longer range deer.

We see many current "comparisons" of the 6.5 CM to the 308W meant to impress us with the "superiority of the 6.5 CM. The 6.5 CM is basically a 6.5-308. I have shot out three 6.5-308 barrels and several in .308W in long range shooting (500 - 1000 yards) and HP competition so I am quite familiar with the ballistics of each. I also have killed several deer, coyotes and even one elk with that cartridge. In the comparisons we almost always, if we read the fine print, find the 6.5 CM ballistics are touted with data from 26 - 28" barrels. The .308W data is almost invariable from the current tacticool craze of 20" barreled .308Ws. Given barrels of equal length there really isn't much difference balletically. The real difference is in recoil. Over a match 86 + rounds may be fired in a day with the stages being 20 + 2 shots. Felt recoil and fatigue from it is accumulative. When you get back to the 600 or 1000 yard line at the final stage shooter fatigue from recoil can and does cause a loss of points. That's where the 6.5 CM has a slight advantage yet if the shooter is in good physical condition and used to the recoil there, again, is no advantage.

However, the OP is talking about deer hunting where only on or two shots should be needed. When target shooting terminal ballistics are moot. When hunting terminal ballistics of the bullet is paramount. The heavier, most often, and larger caliber of the 30 caliber bullet which will be driven at the same if not faster velocity out of the 30-06 means there will be much better terminal effect on the deer, especially at longer ranges.

As to the 30-30 cartridge in a non scoped rifle, particularly a 20" barreled carbine, it can be a 200 yard deer rifle IF zeroed and sighted in properly and IF the hunter can shoot it well enough. However, on a rifle with a 24 or 26" barrel using appropriate reloads or LeveRevolution ammunition it can be a 300 yard deer rifle, again if zeroed correctly and the hunter can shoot it accurately. My Winchester M94 Black Shadow with a 1.5 - 5X Leupold scope with 24" barrel using LeveRevolution bullets can be a 400 yard deer rifle but If hunting where such a shot would be probable i would have a .308W, a 280 Rem or a 30-06 rifle with me with a 24" barrel......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The 308 will definitely work for long range as will the 30-06. I shot my 308 on a regular basis at 1000 meters with a fairly low powered scope, of course mine was in the form of a M-14 sniper rifle but I gained considerable confidence in that cartridge while in Vietnam. In a bolt action rifle, I like the 308's shorter bolt throw compared to the 06. Not to say the 06 ain't good cause it is and I have had several of them. With these two cartridges, I guess I am considered old school but I really don't see the need for anything else for long range shooting within sensible hunting yardages and skill levels.
    Oh and that's me sitting on a rice patty dike with my M-14 sniper rifle in my avatar. Oh to be young again!

Boolit Master
    the 30-06 and the 30-30 are the same "caliber"
    Ya got me on that one. I meant which cartridge. Cartridge is right...right?

Boolit Buddy
    I love the 308. But for a long time I used the 30.06 even took my first Black Bear with it. The 30.06 is my pick of the 3
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Buddy
    For 200 to 300 yards, open country,, the 6.5 is my choice.
    I get tired of recoil and noise,,

I worked on a farm with annual deer permits, and fields out to 350 yards.
    The 243 Winchester was virtually 100% for knockdown, but, we shot so many, we really got good at aiming.

Considering what we did (hundreds of times) with the 243,, there is no need for 30 caliber at that range and target.

The OP did not mention bear,, or elk, or moose,, unless I missed it,,
    for that range, 6.5 is plenty for deer, why get beat up by the gun??

Banned

I have a 30-06 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would use either for deer, but at long ranges in wide open country I think I would use the 6.5mm Creedmoor. It was created as a match rifle but it has been successfully used for deer hunting at longer ranges 500-600 yds. I read one article on the CM being used to harvest a good sized bull elk. Of course a lot has to do with the quality of the scope you use and the abilities of the person behind it.

Boolit Master
    For hunting across the US I would go with the .30-06 for the many reasons mentioned above.

I love my .308 and shoot it a lot, but, can't beat the flexibility of the 06 when it comes to the heavier bullets.

6.5 is a good caliber but I would probably go with a larger case for hunting, such as the 6.5x55, 6.5Norma or 6.5PRC.

As Townsend Whelen once said: "the .30-06 is never a mistake"

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Recoil isn't a problem - he's had a Mosin for years, and likes the vintage ammo. He's not into reloading, yet anyways.
    I owned a new-in-the-cosmoline 1950s Polish-made Mosin carbine years ago.
    The thing had a commercial blued finish and was actually a beauty once it was de-greased.
    With my younger eyes at the time, I shot 2" groups at 100 yards with the open sights and decent surplus ammo.
    The 7.62 Mosin cartridge is the equal of .30-06 ballistically.

Boolit Master

30-06 ! Up in the high Sierra I have shot mule deer out beyond 200 yds with that caliber and 150 gr bullet.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I am definitely biased. 30-06 for most deer sized and up game in the USA.
    I own 3 rifles in that caliber and all do exactly what I want them to do.

Boolit Master
    6.5 Creedmore because everybody that owns one is a sniper......

Guy I work with told me he was a long range shooter. He proudly said he shoots a 6.5 creedmore
    I ask what weight. He didn't know bullets came in different weights.
    Last edited by GARD72977; 12-28-2020 at 08:49 PM.

It's for hunting in North Dakota. He has a Winchester .30-30 without a scope. He's talking about the 6.5 Creedmore. I've always thought that a .30-06 would be good. I was reading about the 6.5 Creedmore - isn't it more of a long range target caliber?
    If you compare the ballistics, you will discover that the 6.5 Creedmoor is just a short action replica of the 6.5X55 Swedish cartridge first used in the 1890s.

Certainly a good cartridge for hunting, but over-rated as a long range cartridge IMHO.

Boolit Master
    i got a 308 so im bias but it will do all that at 3006 will and 30cal bores seem to be less fussy about bullets/boolits .can be loaded up down to suit your needs,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Of those 3 30-06

My preference
    for long range 8mm mag.
    For brush 45-70.
    For less than 100 yards in the open 44wcf
    im kind of an 8mag fan myself. but unless your shooting something a 800 lbs or more its a bit much. Thats said ive sent a good many whitetail to there maker in the fields during crop damage season with my 8mag. Dont anymore because it was a rifle that was my brother in laws that was killed in a car wreck. My sister gave it to me shortly after. When her daughter had her first son i gave it to her to pass on to him. Still cant get myself to get rid of the dies though. Maybe someday again. But if you want my real opinion when the shots get out past 4oo yards make mine a 30 cal mag. My favorite long range rifle is my rem 700 in 300 wby mag. I also have a 300 win and a 300 H&H im found of. Used to have a 300 ultra but it would about shake the earth when you shot it. Only gun i ever shot as loud was my ported 7stw (another great choice when deer look small in a 9x scope) and the only gun louder was a 50bmg. but again if i was buying my first and maybe only deer rifle it would hands down be an 06
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-05-2021 at 06:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast