Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: My first baby!

Boolit Master

My first baby!

So, I've been busy. I heard swaging wasn't about mass production, it's about precision. Well, I ain't a good listener so I made a crap ton of jackets.

Before I make a crap ton of cores, I had to do some proof of concept experiments. I found that I can't make a 62gr bullet like I wanted. The problem comes when the core is longer than the jacket before seating. The seating punch will catch the lip of the jacket and create a very bad wrinkle. So I'm limited to 55gr bullets to make sure the core is just below the jacket, enough that I can just barely get it on the shaft before seating.

Here's my first two babies! I'm a proud pappa!

Beware, steel 22 cases are out there! I got one half way in and was forced to go all the way. Damn near broke everything.

Boolit Master

A magnet can be your friend.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    A stands for Aguila? thats Mexican made ammo, nice choice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kimoleto View Post
    A stands for Aguila? thats Mexican made ammo, nice choice
    I picked up a little of everything. I've got 50 pounds of brass. Some shells are about 9.5gr and the thicker brands are a little over 10. I don't want to weigh each one and sort so I'm going to split the difference with the cores. Once all the boolits are made I may then sort by final weight, but even a spread of 1 grain is better than most of my cast boolits.

Boolit Master

Those look good Steve.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Those are real nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've learned a lot along the way. One thing that will save you a bunch of time is using RCBS water based sizing lube for everything except for point forming. The stuff washes off with water real easy, unlike lanolin based swage lube.

The dies need to break in still so the few wrinkles you see should eventually go away.

I'm hoping to stuff Stinger hulls with enough lead to make 62gr boolits. If not I've got other specialty dies that will allow me to form a soft point. I've also got dies to derim 22WMR which will be used or everything larger. The sky is the limit with those. 100gr subsonics should be within reach if I can find load data for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I know what you mean about the 62s. If you have one seating punch that you sand the sharp edge off it won't catch the jacket. That's what I did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    I know what you mean about the 62s. If you have one seating punch that you sand the sharp edge off it won't catch the jacket. That's what I did.
    I thought about that but I don't want lead squirting by the punch. Is that not a problem for you?

Boolit Buddy
    It rises up on the wall a few thousandths but it doesn't catch the jacket mouth.

Boolit Master
    First test loads today. Unfortunately my chronograph didn't feel like working today but I got some good info anyway.

I was using CFE223 in three batches. 25.0gr, 26.0gr and 27.0 which is near max.

All rounds fed perfectly which was one big worry, they also all cycled.

Best group was with 25grains. It gave me 1.48" at 50 yards.

At 26 grains I started to see a weird stringing pattern and it opened up to 2.98".

At 27 I was getting shots off the paper. No keyholing or signs of jacket separation, but something drastic was happening and it was all bad.

I was hoping to get a little more velocity out of these, but I'm sure I'm still going faster than a cast PC boolit.

As a control I shot some steel case Red Army Standard which looks like repackaged Golden Tiger. I got a group of 0.92" which is about as good as it gets with a low power scope in my hands. Commercial 62 Hornady boolits with the same powder got me 1.83" so my swaged boolits out performed it by a little bit.

Boolit Buddy
    You didn't say what rifle you were using. Could it be a AR with fast twist rifling? Some are really fast. They may be spinning up too fast for the jacket strength. I have two bolt guns in 223 and a mini 14(old one). The bolt guns have a 1-14" twist and the mini has a 1-10". I can shoot up to full power loads and good targets.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    You didn't say what rifle you were using. Could it be a AR with fast twist rifling? Some are really fast. They may be spinning up too fast for the jacket strength. I have two bolt guns in 223 and a mini 14(old one). The bolt guns have a 1-14" twist and the mini has a 1-10". I can shoot up to full power loads and good targets.
    n.h.schmidt
    It's 1:7 I believe. 20" barrel. Thanks for bringing that up. I'll keep an eye out for a 1:14 barrel. The slowest twist I have is my Handi with 1:9.

In Remembrance

In addition to avoiding steel cases (which might actually be brass plated steel, and get past the visual inspection), you also need to avoid nickel plated brass. Those don't move metal the same way as the plain brass cases do. So, as was previously mentioned, a magnet, and then good lighting to cull out any nickel plated cases.

I do not sort by headstamp. They all go through my AR's. I am not shooting 500 yards (but could if I wanted), and the non head stamped cases are as accurate as any factory bullets.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Dig through your 22 brass. Should see some that is slightly longer than the usual 0.7". I have made 62's out of those. Lead right to the tip (after point forming). Those brass weigh a little more and can hold a little more lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I found that I can't make a 62gr bullet like I wanted. The problem comes when the core is longer than the jacket before seating. The seating punch will catch the lip of the jacket and create a very bad wrinkle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    n.h.schmidt
    wait what? isnt the whole point of jacketing these so you can get strength that can take a full load in fast twist? isnt a brass jacket going to be stronger than a copper jacket?

there are people getting near full loads with cast + PC and similar accuracy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ll-house-loads

If this situation is really brass jackets not withstanding fast twist AR then something weird is going on

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guy_with_boolits View Post
    wait what? isnt the whole point of jacketing these so you can get strength that can take a full load in fast twist? isnt a brass jacket going to be stronger than a copper jacket?

there are people getting near full loads with cast + PC and similar accuracy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ll-house-loads

If this situation is really brass jackets not withstanding fast twist AR then something weird is going on
    Jackets are brass but thinner than commercial copper jackets. My cast rifle boolits lead the gas system. I don't want lead fouling in my AR's. It's easier to manage in piston guns. PC won't prevent lead in the system.

Boolit Buddy
    The 22 RF made jackets should be considered to be like The SX type copper bullets. Very thin metal and super explosive. It nobody said the whole point of this is is to take full loads with any twist. It would be great if it was so. It wasn't all that long ago when a 1in 7 didn't exist. When I started making these The Ruger mini 14 twist of 1 in 10 was fast. My bullets worked fine in that rifle at normal 5.56 speeds.