WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single actions bust my knuckle

Single actions bust my knuckle

I've owned 4 Ruger single actions along the way. A couple of 44 mags, a 357 and now the Single Seven in 327 Federal. I have not enjoyed any of them with full house loads because they beat the heck out of my knuckle. However I can use 44 specials, 38 specials or 32 H&R mags and be ok.

Is it my technique? Or is that the norm? I did put an ugly rubber grip on the 357 and it pretty much resolved the problem. But yuck.

I have a Colt Tropper Mk III double action 357 and don't have that issue. Maybe I'm just a double action guy. But I really like the looks of the single actions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I gave my mom my 5 in 44 mag cause she liked it but bought a Hogue rubber grip cause it would bite her. Ive heard lots of people have this problem. My bfr doesent bother my knuckles but i have sprained my wrist with it but that was because i locked my elbow with a retarded load
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master

It is normal. The shape of the grip is designed to loose control. I don't like them.

If you don't like rubber, Hogue makes a number of wood grips in the same design as their rubber grips. You can get them smooth, checkered, with or with out finger grooves, multiple wood types, etc. The non-finger groove, checkered grips are great for me.

Same problem with my .357 Ruger Police special. Both of my middle fingers have bad arthritus to where I can not make a fist. The knuckle of the middle finger rests hard against the trigger guard and gets banged badly at the shot. Ten years ago I could tell you the name of the rubber grip that kept me able to shoot well with no pain. There are some people in Oklahoma and New Mexico and Texas that can attest to my shooting well. Pigs and jack rabbits at 70 yards. Been there done that. Hey I am approaching 86 in January. Leaving in the morning to go to Albuquerque then on to Cuba turn toward Lindreth, to Dead Man's Peak/ Gallina peak to bowhunt the majestic Elk. They walk directly under the tree stand I will be in fairly regularly. My hunting partner since 1967 lives in Albuquerque and scouts the area for me. Poor guy didn't draw a tag this year. We will have seven people in camp, only three legal hunters and four support guys. I won't even have to cook. I am shooting one inch MOA at 40 yards, first shot of the practice with
    approximately 30% chance of messing up. LOL
    As we age it seems that we have to give up this or that and we need to keep being positive and work out the problems as they come our way. I have friends in the past that seemed to just give up that didn't last long.

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Old Army, not a heavy recoiling gun, but this grip works great on the big stuff too.

One handed, there is no way around it other than rubber grips. However, two handed it's easy to manage the recoil with the wood panels if thought is given to the grip required. The grip I use is primary hand is as normal, but the off hand first finger is bent to support under the trigger guard and not behind it. I removed the sharp heel on my short barrel SBH. Rather have a bare spot than a sharp spot. That rounded trigger guard will bite the off hand if the grip I describe isn't used, and I've taken to it for all revolver use. My limiting factor is my wrists. But I've learned you don't shoot long sessions of magnums.

You just need a different set of grips.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I too love full (plus a ‘lil) loads in my single actions. Consumption of said loads are relegated to diligent use such as long range shooting.

Single actions are my favorite firearms. For closer work I load them down and can shoot until it’s time to quit for reasons other than a sore middle knuckle.

I have a load for Skovill’s RCBS 45 270 SAA boolit that is comfortable too.

The little bombs I have in the cylinder for carrying are not the same as plinking loads.

Same problem here. I also don't like the looks of the rubber grips on single actions, but concede that they do work well. I have found that if I drop my grip down just a bit so that the little finger is just under the butt it helps with the problem.

Boolit Master

The rubber grips help a lot. Not as nice in appearance as wood, But they save the knuckles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8026.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	266932
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Thanks everyone. Might just look for a SP101 if we ever see the market ever stabilizes.

Have you tried a Bisley grip frame? For most folks they are more comfortable when shooting stout calibers/loads. That's the main reason most custom big bore Rugers are built on a Bisley.

Quote Originally Posted by lscg45 View Post
    Have you tried a Bisley grip frame? For most folks they are more comfortable when shooting stout calibers/loads. That's the main reason most custom big bore Rugers are built on a Bisley.
    No I haven't. Never used one. Are they more like a double action grip?

Vendor Sponsor

One of the SIMPLEST and cheapest things you can do is wrap a single turn of stretchy bandage around the middle finger knuckle, you can shoot full house loads all day with this. See my knuckle after only 10 rounds from a Birdshead Vaquero in 45 Colt with full house H110 loads? One wrap of the bandage prevents it.

Name:	Magnum Knuckle.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	266941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretchy Bandage.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	266940
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Look into a kevlar shooting glove, all large caliber handguns beat me up. The single action are the worst, but double action will beat you up. It just takes longer, more rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyephil View Post
    No I haven't. Never used one. Are they more like a double action grip?

well kind of. there's more room behind the trigger guard and it doesn't flair out as much at the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    One of the SIMPLEST and cheapest things you can do is wrap a single turn of stretchy bandage around the middle finger knuckle, you can shoot full house loads all day with this. See my knuckle after only 10 rounds from a Birdshead Vaquero in 45 Colt with full house H110 loads? One wrap of the bandage prevents it.

Name:	Magnum Knuckle.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	266941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretchy Bandage.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	266940
    Thanks, I believe I'll try that. Cheap and easy.

Pardon the drift but, I have never fired a handgun of ANY type that will beat your middle finger knuckle quite like a T/C Encore in 454 Casull.Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Pardon the drift but, I have never fired a handgun of ANY type that will beat your middle finger knuckle quite like a T/C Encore in 454 Casull.Gp
    Your firing hand or support hand????

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Your firing hand or support hand????
    Firing hand. Made my knuckle bleed more than once. Painful even wearing a shooting glove. That firearm went down the road. Gp

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast