WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 475 Wildey Mag/ 480 Ruger dies

Boolit Buddy

475 Wildey Mag/ 480 Ruger dies

Has anyone tried or used the 480 Ruger/ 475 Linebaugh dies to reload the 475 Wildey case? They look to be very close in the diameter dimensions, not concerned with the rims or case lengths. Its not a very common round, and I have a batch to load..

Banned

My Lee dies will handle them both.

Boolit Buddy

So you load the Wildey with the Lee dies? Please clarify which "Both" you are referencing.

Banner Sponsor

Looks like the Wildey is a slightly tapered case. The base diameter is really close, but the mouth of the Wildey Is .493" and the 480 is .504".

I'd say try it and see if you get enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place.

Boolit Buddy

I have New examples of all three, and the base diameters are as you say, close to within a thousandths or so. I think the .493 you cite is the taper crimp dia. The factory loaded Wildey I have is .497 at the case mouth .050 back from the seated bullet, and .497 at the base. I ask in the OP so I might see if the dies are worth buying to get this task up an running. I will have a fired case tomorrow to measure expansion and that should give me the Min/Max at the case mouth. The Linebaugh and Ruger are .500 straight. The Lee dies are listed as carbide, so I am thinking the sizing ring will be tight as most are, I hope. Cheap enough to test any how.

thanks for the response.

Banned

480/475.

Boolit Buddy

OK,got the 480 dies and 475 brass from Grafs after a 3 week wait, and tested the sizing. It works well enough to justify the expense for the test. the Wildey pistol is a basterd to work with, first round feeding and last round ejection being finicky, but the reloaded ammo is not showing any problems at all. No push back or cycling issues once I got the gas setting tuned to lock back on a empty mag. Im a little reluctant to modify the magazine release timing as the mags are insanely expensive, last resort I guess.. the feed ramp is like a playground slide , so there should be no hang ups but there are. really tempted to move the release point on the mag lips back a tad to remove the three point bind. More testing first though...

Groo here
    Got one in 475 W..
    Go to ch4d for dies.https://www.ch4d.com/
    Got both forming and loading.
    Pricy but good quality