RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger No3 question

That .38 Long Cox looks like an awesome deer gun!

I'm a bit mad Ruger quit making the #3 or I'd have more of 'em. At the gun shows the #3's are selling for more than the #1's. Even wish there was a source for just the action.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    Origin of the 38 Long Cox?
    Looks like a 47/70 based case. Maybe a reformed 38-56? Always wanted to chamber a 38-56 AI in a Marlin 1895, and load to +P pressures with the Hornady 220 grain flat point.

This one got me curious, the 38 Long Cox.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...11-38-Long-Cox

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger bases for the #3/1V are still made and used sets show up on E-bay. I had the same scope issue with my #3 but solved it with a set of Ruger extension rings. Mine was already set up with a #1 style butt stock and slimmed forend when I got it used. Price was right because it was a 30/40 the previous owner had re-chambered to 30/40 AI. Did bend the finger lever to get clearance for my hand, and with heavy loads does hurt my hand.

The Ruger #3 was factory chambered in 22 Hornet, 223, 30-40 Krag, 375 Win, 44 Mag, 45-70 Govt. If you ever took one afield you really appreciate how handy & pleasant the rifle is to hunt with. As compact as a 94 & as light. Points & balances quickly in your hands. Chambering this fly-weight in 45-70 must of been some kind of cruel joke though!

From my limited experience looking at all sorts of #3's here in Texas, all calibers have become desirable with the .223 being the most prevalent & therefore usually demanding the lowest cost. Cast boolit aficionados are always looking for a nice platform to chamber for a straight-wall or rimmed cartridge to work with. Good gunsmithing is always expensive, but it seems that someone could buy a #3 in .223 & have the barrel re-bored for a bigger cartridge of their choice. Then the only other change would be the extractor which is easily modified or relatively inexpensive direct from Ruger. I can only imagine a .327, .357 Maximum or even a good ol' 30-30 #3 in the deer woods!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12