Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila ammo corrosive?

Aguila ammo corrosive?

Im not real fond of cheap ammo from other countries ive always ran cci remington or federal on my 22s. But i was forced to go cheap cause money is tight and bought a box of mexican't ammo and noticed it was real smokey. I remember reading about this awhile back but wasnt sure where so i thought id bring it up again. It wont bother me as long as nobody has had corrosion problems
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

My LGS gave me a brick of the aguila super extra. When i bought my Ruger MK4. That stuff is smokey. I had a lot of misfires too with it. It fired second time around. But i'll never buy it. I don't think its corrosive though. Just dirty and smokey. I think remington thunderbolts are better ammo.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I've run a bunch of it through my moms single six and my marlin model 60. I have no complaints. No misfires and decent accuracy. The recoil and sound is consistent unlike most of the federal I've tried.

Boolit Buddy
    They advertise that they make that ammo with Eley priming compound, which I’m pretty sure is non-corrosive, so unless they use black powder for propellant, Aguila should be non-corrosive.

I’ e used a lot of their center fire ammo with no problems.

Banned
    Inconsistent - Yes
    Corrosive - No

Banned
    Having a bunch of grandchildren who shoot out in back of my spread The aguila ammo is ok for me I haven't had anymore misfires from it than the thunderduds it is a little dirtier but for the money it shoots just fine haven't seen anything that looks like corrosion just dirty.

Boolit Buddy
    Aguila ammo plant was set up and built by Remington Arms,, in effect Mexican Remington.
    While Ive no experience with their 22rf, their shotshells are very good and their CF pistol ammo is top shelf. Back in the 90's, some of the Century International house brand pistol ammo was Aguila and an absolute steal for anyone that recognized quality... I wish I had a pallet load now...

I've been shooting it. After the "shortage" was over I bought a case of it. It has a funny smell (well...unfamiliar anyway) but it shot accurate, no misfires, and never any corrosion issues. I'd buy it again...some of it is made in south TX from what I understand.

[EDIT] - yup...just looked it up...Conroe, TX.....not really south though.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 08-28-2020 at 09:22 AM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    It's not corrosive and it's got a different odor to it. I tried a brick of their standard velocity in my BSA martini's and was quite satisfied with the results if I remember correctly it chronigraphed pretty good too.

Boolit Master

I've shot a lot of their standard velocity .22s. I probably have 6 or 7 bricks of it on the shelf. Some is Eley primed and some Aguila primed. I've found both to be very consistent and accurate.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot some also. It has given me the best groups in my Ruger MKI. I have no complaints with it.

Thanks i just wanted to make sure noone else is having problems. Just kinda caught me off guard wth the smell and smoke. Ya never know when those crazy mexicans might add peppers to the mix Ya notice it a little more when your sniping starlings and other pests from inside the house
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Thanks i just wanted to make sure noone else is having problems. Just kinda caught me off guard wth the smell and smoke. Ya notice it a little more when your sniping starlings and other pests from inside the house
    Now that's what I call a bird blind....hahahaha

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Aguila has the best selection of exotic 22RF ammunition available.

60 gr SSS, 20gr Super Colibre, Stinger equivalant, some OK match ammo, Standard Velocity... ect.

For the price it matches or beats most domestic equivalents.

EVERY manufactures ultra match is stinky, and greasy... I almost consider any "stinky 22" to have a good chance of being match grade fodder.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My rifles love Super Extra. Very clean and accurate.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I've used the Aguila SubSonic, HP and Solid, also have case from CMP that is Aguila Standard Velocity. Pleased with accuracy and reliability of all. No misfires, misfires I have run into is the new CIL brand and old Winchester bulk. The Aguila 38gr HP SubSonic is my preferred round for most rimfire shooting, though I shoot the bulk Federal a lot due to price and availability. Mostly I shoot acouple Henry levers and a couple old Mossberg's, a46, a 146 and a US44.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I've tried Aguila ammo in several rifles and pistols all with horrible accuracy results.

I find Aguila to be better quality than the cheap bulk packed American brands. Plus for about the same price it comes in boxes of 50, which obviously the bulk packs don't.

Boolit Master
    I looked up my chronograph data from the agulia std velocity. Test rifle was a BSA mark 1 martini with 29" barrel.
    Agulia standard velocity (eley primed)
    Ave fps 1108
    extreme spread 46.52
    standard deviation 13.37

Federal champion
    ave fps 1267
    extreme spread 61.22
    standard deviation 20.56

CCI standard velocity
    ave fps 1081
    extreme spread 24.74
    standard deviation 9.05

All ammo was tested in the same rifle which was about a 50 year old club rifle from somewhere in England with a nice but not quite perfect bore.

The data showed me that I could use and trust the Aguila if it was the only available ammo and the average group size at 50 yards for 10 shots was 1/2" and about 1 1/4" at 100 yards.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 08-29-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: @#$%^& spell check

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The last rifle I tried the “fast” Aguila’s out of both shot 8” to 9” plus groups at 50 yards out of my cz452 ultra lux. Same large groups in my 91’ browning buckmark 5.5” target. Both shoot cheap Winchester 333’s under .5” at 50 yards. Also my Ultralux super exclusive shoots cci stingers and segmented 1650 FPS ammo at .5” at 50 yards. My guns just don’t like Aquila.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast