RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: What am I going to do with these...

Boolit Master

What am I going to do with these...

I grew one Carolina Reaper and one Trinidad Moruga Scorpion this year. the plants are both approaching 4 feet tall with 3.5 feet canopies and they are loaded. I could get 100 to 150 off of each plant at this point.

Trying to figure out what I will do with them... will smoke some and then dry them will just dry others, both will be ground to dust for use in sauces and as a seasoning. Thinking making jelly as well, have made habanero/ghost pepper jelly before and the process seems to remove most of the heat, allowing you to taste the real fruit.

Looking for ideas...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peppers.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	266862

Pickle em. Thats what we did with jalapenos
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I have thought about that as well, but I pickled some other "less hot" super hots and the out gas in the jars ate the seals and rusted the lids from the inside! If I could find some tin and glass lids, I might try it.

We used glass whiskey bottles

Boolit Master
    Dry about ten of each and I will buy them from you. I make jerky and a couple of the guys i work with keep wanting me to make it hotter.....

Moderator Emeritus

Hot sauce! Let them ferment awhile then make into sauce.

Boolit Mold
    You can do it like this; if you have red bell peppers.

Cut up 40-50 large red bell peppers into thumb size pieces. Place in a large stainless steel pot with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water just covering the peppers along with 10-15 of your hot peppers. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes until soft.
    Let cool, 30 minutes.
    Run small batches through blender strain through sieve, discarded pulp. Pour your "hot" sauce in half pint jars and can in water bath as you would tomatoes.
    The "hot" sauce will not be nearly as hot as you'd expect and will have a great spicy and mild flavor.

Boolit Grand Master

Pickled Peppers

1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup water
    2 cloves garlic , crushed (optional if you don't live in Louisiana)
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon white Sugar

Tightly pack two clean sterile 16 oz.(pint) Mason jars w/ new lids and rings , with sliced peppers , pack all the peppers you can force into the jars .
    Bring water , vinegar , salt & sugar to a boil , as soon as it begins to boil .
    Fill the jars with hot liquid , if short , top with additional vinegar .
    Quickly Cap jars , invert on a dishtowel and let cool .
    Store on shelf ...refg. after opening . they keep along time . Age 2-4 weeks.

We use pickled peppers a LOT in cooking ... I do Gypsy and Jalapeno...
    Those peppers in the photo scare me...they look incendiary .
    Give us a report on the heat factor... WOW !!!

I grew some Habanero once and they were too hot for me ...never again.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-28-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: additional instructions
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Heat some oil, put them in, and let them set until the oil cools. Sieve out the solids and you have massage oil. If it is too hot just add a little more oil.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    soak in water, and place on eyelids, to relieve welders flash, will give instant relief from flash. warning, some discomfort may be experienced a first.

Boolit Master

Welders flash is better relieved by squeezing raw potato juice into the eye. I used to work in the oilfields with an old welder.

Some years ago, my grandson, a toddler, spilled hot coffee on his wrist. Instant blood curdling screaming. Rushed him to his home with my daughter and told her to cut me a 1/4" piece of potato. I put it on his wrist which by this time had a 3" blister. Instant relief, my grandson stopped crying. My daughter cut the top off a sock to hold the potato in place. 4 hours later my daughter replaced the potato with a new slice, the blister was gone. The following day all he had was a red spot. The following week the redness was faint but the skin never sloughed off.

As far as the peppers, do them like they do Tabasco peppers. They get crushed up the day they are picked, placed into a Jack Daniels whiskey barrel with salt and vinegar, and left in the barrels for 3 years. I had a friend make his own pepper sauce the same way but he only let it set for a week. Ghost pepper and grim reaper peppers, good sauce.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Capsaicin in the eyes is known to degrade eyesight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    soak in water, and place on eyelids, to relieve welders flash, will give instant relief from flash. warning, some discomfort may be experienced a first.
    I'm sure no-one would have taken this tongue in cheek reply seriouly, HOWEVER do not apply to eyes (got my remedies mixed up here) this should be used for hemmoroids instead will definety cause some discomfort butt will take your mind off the issue as you mimmick a dog on a new rug.LOL

Anyone that has a second helping of that jelly is definitely related to Chuck Norris.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Vendor Sponsor

Didn't grow any superhots this year, but I will share a recipe that will let you make some VERY tasty relish that won't burn you up and you can bring out the unique flavor of your peppers using this recipe..

I love chocolate habaneros, they have an almost sirloin type flavor as compared to the waxy flowery fruity taste of the orange habaneros. The chocolate habs are quite a bit hotter than the orange ones, and it's not easy to taste the uniqueness of the chocolate hab without overdoing it with the heat. I have a recipe for red pepper relish that I developed myself that brings out that unique flavor without burning you up. This stuff is GREAT on collards, beans of any kind, black eyed peas, I sent a buddy a jar and he popped it open and ate the whole jar with crackers and cream cheese topped with this relish.

Doug’s Chocolate Habanero Sweet Red Pepper Relish

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    8 cups sweet peppers, diced & seeded
    3 cans tomato paste
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 large yellow or white onion, diced
    1 large shallot, diced
    1 large Chocolate habanero, seeded and sliced very thin
    5 cloves garlic, minced finely
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 tablespoons pickling spice

Instructions
    1. Start with preparing all of your ingredients.
    2. Dice and seed the peppers and dice up onions and shallots.
    3. In a large pot (nothing beats a good Dutch oven for this!), heat olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
    4. Throw in all of the aromatic vegetables (peppers, onions, shallots) and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
    5. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
    6. Add in diced tomatoes.
    7. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for a couple minutes.
    8. Reduce heat to low and cover.
    9. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened. This took about 2 hours for me, but will vary depending on the water content.
    10. Can as usual for long-term storage of gifts. Alternatively, store in refrigerator opened.
    11. Enjoy on toast, burgers, bagels or crackers with cream cheese, in white beans or on top of Black Eyed Peas (My Favorite!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doug's Chocolate Habanero Sweet Red Pepper Relish.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	267312
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.