Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Federal Premium Gold Medal Target

Boolit Buddy

Federal Premium Gold Medal Target

Ran into a brick of this. Only 22 ammo I found when up in Wyoming this past week. It is 40 Gr Target. Any good?

That would depend entirely on your rifle's preferences.

Vendor Sponsor

Gold Metal Match or Gold Metal Target? I have not heard of their product, "target" but maybe I missed it. That wouldn't be the first time.
    I would give it a try. Especially if the price is right or the pantry is low.

Generally, and you may know this, the naming convention with 22 Target and 22 Match, is the Target labeled product is the inexpensive stuff made to a lower quality, and then from the same manufacture, "Match" labeled product would be some of their better competition ammo they make. That standard is all over the map from maker to maker but that is generally how it is labeled.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I think that is their newest iteration of an "entry level" target ammunition. It may shoot well in your rifles, or it may not.
    The older (dimpled) Gold Medal Target 711 and 711B shot very well in some of my rifles, and the more recent orange box (not dimpled) Target 711 also did well in some, bit not as many as the older stuff. The only way to really know how good the newest version is will be to try it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Gold Medal HV has been in stock pretty regularly around here, my rifles and pistols like it really well. It's $4.49 a box at my usual shop.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    I think that is their newest iteration of an "entry level" target ammunition. It may shoot well in your rifles, or it may not.
    The older (dimpled) Gold Medal Target 711 and 711B shot very well in some of my rifles, and the more recent orange box (not dimpled) Target 711 also did well in some, bit not as many as the older stuff. The only way to really know how good the newest version is will be to try it.
    The UM1 ammo was dimpled. The 711 ammo I have is not. Did I miss something? It's six or seven years since I've bought any 711.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Gold Medal HV has been in stock pretty regularly around here, my rifles and pistols like it really well. It's $4.49 a box at my usual shop.
    Thats what I paid in Wyoming.

Boolit Master
    It's the lowest grade Federal "match" ammo. My gopher-gun rifles don't shoot much better with Fed GM match or super match (?) than with target.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The UM1 ammo was dimpled. The 711 ammo I have is not. Did I miss something? It's six or seven years since I've bought any 711.
    All the early Gold Medal ammunition was dimpled, including the 711 and 711B "Target". When they phased out the dimpling, it started with the Target variety.