in the barrel.
    So I got out the BARASOL out and scrubbed
    the bore. (many times)
    Still much lead in the bore.
    So I got out Bore Tech cleaner.
    Put a few wet patches down the bore,
    then rapped a little Chore boy around the nylon
    brush.

Scrubbed the bore and repeated the proses.
    WOW what a difference, the bore is back to being
    clean and shiny.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

How many rounds did you fire to get it so bad?

I clean all my guns after each shoot, my western action main rifle (44/40) would fire up to 100 rounds between cleaning and I never get lead buildup.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Is that a typo or do you really use shaving cream to clean your gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    what caused all the leading?

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    My bad
    I was saposto wright BALLISTOL.
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Ok now to the new report.
    I have on order, a new Tipton 45 cal. jag.
    and a bottle of BORE TECH 22 lead out.
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like you need a bullet that's a couple thousandths larger.

CS

I get a little lead wash in mine but no real leading and i have been using my black powder lube with heavy doses of h322 for years now
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I cheat if a barrel is really dirty. I plug the chamber with a rubber stopper (size 00 works for 30-06 thru 338WinMag) and secure the rifle muzzle up in my workbench end clamp. Then I pour Hoppes#9 to fill the bore and let it set overnight. The next day I scrub with a bore brush and repeat the soaking if needed. Years ago, I bought a Savage 99 that seemed it had never been properly cleaned. It took almost 2 weeks to get that one clean.

I used to think that all I ever got was a little lead wash in my bores, that is, until I invested in a bore scope then I seen what I left behind. I tried many solutions and some are just ok but I now mixed my Hoppye's with kroil about 50/50 and let it sit over night in the bore. I think the kroil gets under some of the lead and lifts it.However,nothing works quite as well as elbow grease using Chor Boy, Bronze Wool wrapped on a bronze brush or even JB Bore Cleaner on a tight patch. Working the JB back and forth really gets to the gremlin. I try not to let any build up get a good hold so I clean after every shoot, the only exception is when I am sighting in for hunting. I don't hunt with a clean bore. I like it fouled. Before the bore scope,I looked down a nice shiny bore on some of my rifles and thought ,Boy,how smooth they are,so shiny and smooth and the glare will blind you. The bore scope will tell a different story of how the guy running the rifling tool left chatter marks in his wake. That is what the lead sticks to and builds on.

Knew a smith that someone brought a 22 to it was badly leaded he just took a torch and evenly heated th bbl until the lead ran out. Now i am not suggesting or condemning this it is just what he done

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Knew a smith that someone brought a 22 to it was badly leaded he just took a torch and evenly heated th bbl until the lead ran out. Now i am not suggesting or condemning this it is just what he done
    Lol, are you sure he was a gunsmith or a wizard of sorts? Lead melts at 650 degrees. I wonder what the barrel is doing with that kind of heat and I imagine that even more degrees is generating throughout the barrel with his process.Maybe it works,maybe it doesn't but I am sure I would never do that and he would no longer be my gunsmith if I seen him break out a torch to work on my rifle.

He was not my smith i do all my own work just someone i knew. Yes id probably wrap that bbl around his forehead if it was mine

Boolit Master
    650F shouldn't hurt a barrel, the problem would be getting the bore to that temp. Laying on the acetylene torch and trying to get it to 650 Right Now, I could imagine some damage but if he went slow and made sure the barrel didn't start to turn red it's probably ok. I'd rather not do it to my barrel either but I have silver soldered a barrel band with no apparent damage.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    650F shouldn't hurt a barrel, the problem would be getting the bore to that temp. Laying on the acetylene torch and trying to get it to 650 Right Now, I could imagine some damage but if he went slow and made sure the barrel didn't start to turn red it's probably ok. I'd rather not do it to my barrel either but I have silver soldered a barrel band with no apparent damage.
    Yep, that's what I meant too when I said even more degrees spreading out through the barrel. I hardly doubt that it is possible to keep an even temperature with a torch, an oven maybe, but not a torch.We really don't know the process he used or how he used the torch to heat but maybe he knew what he was doing.It's just the thought. Does extreme heat affect a bbl? I could swear I seen my M-16's barrel glowing red in the dark a few times but usually it was just used as a spray and pray weapon at the time. Being fully auto, I never really relied on single shots and it wasn't the norm to check them for accuracy. It was always " Saddle up and move out".

Boolit Master
    I've been powder coating my bullets and thus no lead, which is nice; but when using a new to me bullet style I have no leading to tell me it does not fit as well as it should. Good and bad in most everything.

prs

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I've been powder coating my bullets and thus no lead, which is nice; but when using a new to me bullet style I have no leading to tell me it does not fit as well as it should. Good and bad in most everything.

prs
    If you can put 5 bullets in the bull where you want them,it is a good fit.

Banned
    Kroil