Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Understanding Safeties

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Why does a 1911 need a manual safety? Between having the grip safety, series 80 firing pin safety, and a half cock notch makes it just as unlikely for an accidental discharge as anything else. The only way the gun is going to discharge is if something is pulling on that trigger.
    Apparently the folks who designed the Radom Vis P35 didn't think one was necessary. It has a decocker on the slide, even though it's a single action gun; a second slide lock in the location of the 1911's manual safety; and a grip safety. That leaves you will two choices of how to carry this with a round in the chamber:

1. Leave the hammer cocked and rely on the grip safety, or
    2. Drop the hammer with the decocker and re-cock it when you need to shoot, ala Colt Single Action Army.

The only other option is to leave the chamber empty and rack the slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	267346

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    On guns where the striker is fully loaded by the action of the slide, I know of none that lack a manual safety or a means to de-cock the striker. For example, the Luger pistol, which was roughly designed in the same era as the 1911, was a striker fired gun and it had a manual safety.
    My Sig 365 has a full cocked striker with only passive safeties. Drop the gun, your fine, hang something in the trigger guard (including your finger) and you'll get a loud noise! I carry appendix and pocket, but ONLY in a ridged kidex holster that COMPLETELY covers the trigger. When re-holstering such a gun, especially appendix cary, you make it a very deliberate careful act. You NEVER just shove such a pistol home into the holster without using the proper techniques, unless you don't care about your best friends!

Banned
    But that 365 isn't devoid of safeties, in fact, it has more than one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    But that 365 isn't devoid of safeties, in fact, it has more than one.
    Yes it do, but none require operator intervention to disengage, thus no manual safety, only passive ones. They are offering one now with a flick switch for those who just can't bring themselves to carry a gun without a flick switch. It still goes back to failing to understand how the passive safeties work to prevent the striker from falling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Yes it do, but none require operator intervention to disengage, thus no manual safety, only passive ones. They are offering one now with a flick switch for those who just can't bring themselves to carry a gun without a flick switch. It still goes back to failing to understand how the passive safeties work to prevent the striker from falling.
    It doesn't always mean you don't understand how safety's work if you chose a pistol with a long da trigger or a safety to pocket carry . Some of us like the redundancy . I fasten my seat belt even though I have air bags .
    I agree totally that the most important safety is between you ears and with that goes being familiar with the manual of arms for what we choose to carry . The odds of me ever needing to use my cc for defense are extremely slim but I handle them several times a day you do if you carry all the time. So I will do all I can to minimize a serious momentary laps in judgement .
    I wish I could say I have never made a dumb mistake with tools or vehicles or anything else in my life but I can't.
    So even though I know how passive safety's work I will stick to a backup for them most of the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234