Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 1903A3 sporter stock

1903A3 sporter stock

Can anyone recommend a source?

I am looking for a wood (only) 1903A3 sporter stock.
    My 1903A3 is unmodified nor will it be. Action and barrel must drop in.

Thanks.

I apologizes if this is not permissible. I have been lurking and learning here for years but do not have enough post to post in the classified section.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Boolit Master

If a laminated stock is acceptable; I would recommend a Boyds stock:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/acces...bc-4a2841v44zz

I have several on Savage and Remington rifles and they look great. Not traditional walnut, but they still look good with the laminated wood. The selection process on their site gives a military barrel choice. You might want to give them a call.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

My boyds was walnut not laminated , nice no fitting on stock was needed , I recommend them .

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.
    Boyd's does offer many choices but unfortunately their stocks do not come with a bolt cut.
    I do not have the skill or tools to dyi.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Boolit Master
    It's unlikely you'll find a sporter 03-A3 stock that has a bolt cut. The original bolt handles usually didn't need a cut and the bolt handles that have been bent or changed for scope clearanced are not standardized in any way.

If you're going to hunt with that rig try to get a brown or gray laminated stock. They are somewhat harder to see in the woods and the laminate glues are quite water resistant so the stocks rarely warp at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mjac View Post

Can anyone recommend a source ?

My 1903A3 is unmodified nor will it be.

Action and barrel must drop in.

FWIW, IME a drop-in new stock that doesn't need some hand fitting is a non-starter.

Google: "1903A3 sporter stock for sale"

Most replacement stocks are made a bit oversize, outside and inside the inletting, so they may be fitted to a particular rifle's action.

The reason they are so made is so that both professionals and amateurs can work it to a perfect fit.

While some may more or less fitting, the only way to get a stock that may (or may not) drop-in would to buy a used one off the likes of E-Bay - which still may/may not exactly fit YOUR action/barrel.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

They pop up on ebay all the time. Occasionally a nice aftermarket shows up instead of chopped up military stocks. Are you trying to sporterize it to save the original stock and metalwork from damage or want to dress it up with a nicer sporter stock? Be aware that there is a slight difference between a 1903 and 1903A3 stock inletting as the 03 has a rear sight base on the bbl while the 03A3 only has the lower handguard ring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjac View Post
    Can anyone recommend a source?

I am looking for a wood (only) 1903A3 sporter stock.
    My 1903A3 is unmodified nor will it be. Action and barrel must drop in.

Thanks.

I apologizes if this is not permissible. I have been lurking and learning here for years but do not have enough post to post in the classified section.
    If it's a completely unmodified 1903-A3 I don't think you'll need any inletting for a bolt handle at all. I have messed around with them for 30 years and even the most novice of woodworkers (read - myself) can easily inlet for bent down bolt handles. I'll age myself a little, but I did several in high school shop class with a round bastard file and sandpaper. Perhaps ironically, I kept my worst outcome (found the whole rifle in a scrap metal bin, paid around $3 for it by the pound) and under the guidance of my metals teacher - I got her cleaned up and functional. Still shoots pretty good!
    If you want a source for stocks, try this:
    https://gunville.com/products/spring...-sporter-stock

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My 1903A3 is relatively new to me and the metal is in excellent condition. The stock however, needs some serious attention which I plan to attend to this winter. Meanwhile, and because I have discovered it shoots cast boolits very well and I enjoy shooting it, I am looking to temporarily restock it. I am somewhat handicapped as I am traveling at the moment and do not have the rifle in hand to guess at the bolt handle cut. Your posts have convinced me its probably a non issue. Thank you.
    Last edited by mjac; 08-26-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a Boyd’s grey laminate target varminter stock for mine 20 years ago. I had to glass bed it and sand the bolt cut out, bedding area, and barrel channel to make it fit. Sold it off years ago because I couldn’t stand looking at it after I modified it. The thin barrel and wide varmint stock looked out of place to me. I like them original now. It did shoot .5” groups when done.

Boolit Bub
    I have used several stocks from Richards Micro Fit in CA, they do make several styles for Sprg. Rifles. Their web site is: rifle-stocks.com. I have been pleased with their quality in both laminated and traditional wood. Be aware they give you oversized (my opinion) wood so you can carve to your liking.
    Check out the discounted overstock section.