Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucas gun oil

Boolit Master

Lucas gun oil

going to most any places that sells guns or shooting stuff the shelf with gun oil and cleaners is a mind boggling array of options these days.
    most recently ive put my trust and $ into Lucas gun oil. well its raining this morning and decided to give a couple blue steel and walnut guns a good cleaning. theres only a couple drops of hoops oil left in the bottle and the Lucas bottle is getting kinda low too.
    I was thinking there has got to be an economical alternative available by the quart or gallon. Gun oil in little bottles cost is up there. the last gallon of kroil was more than $100 but that's a specialized product and for freeing rusted stuff a few drops goes a long way.
    anyone have favorites in gun oil or other oils that have properties that are good for guns?

3in1 oil. Never failed me that I know of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Eds red would be a good alternative.

I'm a fan of Ed's Red and in AR's Mobil 1....

I like to use LSA, but the dirty little secret is darned near anything will work.

Boolit Master

Check posts by Outpost75. He recommended a food machinery oil by Lubriplate. I can't find the post and I'm not even sure that it was on this board. He doesn't make recommendations lightly.

I also found a recipe for a homemade gun oil that was attributed to him.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    If all else fails, motor oil is better than nothing.

Boolit Master

Motor oil works pretty good , eds red for cleaning , have some castrol oil that is marked for cold weather gov. surplus weapons oil , Depends on temp outside and firearm , lots of good choices 3 in 1 is a good choice .

Boolit Master
    Mobil 1 synthetic, got some 5-40, if memory serves. Works well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Man
    For solvent and light lube, I use Ed's red. For sliding surfaces, I use Lucas "red-n-tacky" grease.

Boolit Buddy

Krown oil is the best, by the can, gal, or 55 gal. drum.

I like hoppes oil. I like 3 in 1 also. A bottle of either lasts me a year or more, so the cost isn't too bad. I hear tell mineral oil works just as good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Boolit Master

I really do like the Lucas gun oil, the heavy weight blue stuff. But, I have been using synthetic 2 stroke oil and it really works well. I always clean with a mix of Kroil, ProShot and ATF and that mix is good for quite a while on blued steel.

Boolit Grand Master

For me I notice that 3 in 1 tends to gum up over time, My favorite was sperm oil and now i use mil surp clp. I bought a couple of gallons some tiem ago and am still using it. Mine was Navy surplus for cleaning cannons I was told, but works like a champ and doesn't gum up in the actions of stored guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Mobile 0-20, a quart costs about $8.00-$9.00 and will last a long time. Bought blunt syringes from that other internet company and apply oil with them. Works great for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Mobile One 0W-20 for lubricant. I'll use Ed's Red to let sit on heavy carbon, then blast it clean with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I do a lot of shooting with dirty powders and the Mobile One does a good job keeping the carbon from building up too much.

AR15 Lube is on the nearest dipstick!

Boolit Grand Master

Most any oil will work. a light weight oil like 5w10 non detergent if you can find it is good, and will get into most areas but will run off quickly for high pressure areas and or long term five 80 weight gear lube a shot wipe on lightly and then a clean dry patch and remove excess. Its as more cling to it.
    I used vanishing oil from work on surfaces to preserve. Wipe it on and the carrier evaporated leaving a very thin coat that wasnt noticeable. A Lot of old timers dissolved wax in a solvent and used it for lube the solvent evaporated leaving the this wax coat behind.

I hear tell 3in1 will gum up over long periods but I never leave my guns for periods over a year and normally much less.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-25-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use Lucas red and tacky on all of the grease points on my Kubota tractor. They have this block mounted on the frame where the front end tie rods are fixed to and this tine little plug you have to remove first. Couple shots in each fitting and make sure that some grease comes out each time you pump each fitting. When down put the plug back in. I grease every 50 hours maybe less if I get into the mud. Great stuff. Have a sneaking it's the same stuff you pay big bucks for that comes in a little syringe that is used on guns. Smells the same and same color. Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast