RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Some Finer Points on Handloading/Reloading Nit-picking and improving accuracy by care

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Some Finer Points on Handloading/Reloading Nit-picking and improving accuracy by care

A long read ... Enjoy
    http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Lots of good points.
    Is Varmint Al still around ?

Boolit Master

If you read on down and get to the picture of his "Mini Lathe", click on it and it takes you to a completely different article. That article is sort of an autobiography. Very interesting.

Overall, a good way to spend a couple of hours on the two articles.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    It is to bad that much of what is in his to do list has been debunked by people have more experience than he does.

Some of it is in the area if it makes you feel better do it.

Of course that is my opinion. I have tried some of it and could not see any difference.

Boolit Master
    I come across this some while back and found much of it did help a great deal in the accuracy department. I uniform cases in regard to length flash holes primer pockets and cleaning up necks, and I found all this does help a great deal with accuracy in my hunting rifles. I found my 357 Maximum to really shine with cast after performing case unification. I am no longer a long range shooter but if I can make a 2'' shooter shoot from 1'' to 1 1/2'' I consider it well worth the time,s does my brother who now does the same prep. I am sure it may not be for everyone but I would certainly suggest one try. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A material overlooked process ... POLISH THE DIES.... I polish the inside of my rifle reloading dies. Most die manufacturers leave the die bores smooth but not polished. A polished die will resize with much less axial force than one in the as-received condition. I disassemble them and put a little Flitz on a cotton bore mop held in a drill motor and polish each one for 30 seconds or more at a 300 to 600 rpm speed. Sometimes I have to wrap a paper towel around the swab to get a good fit. Then I clean all the polish out with hot water and dry with a paper towel wrapped around a clean cotton swab. The polishing process does not remove a measurable amount of material, but results in smoother operation, minimizes the scratching or scoring of the brass, and minimizes crumpling problems when I use them while forming wildcat brass.

WHY POLISHED DIES HELP.... When you are resizing brass, there are combined forces involved. In necking down a diameter, there is a radial force moving the metal toward the center and an axial force, produced by friction, that tends to shorten the column length. For larger changes in diameter, the radial force increases. Since the axial force is equal to the friction coefficient times the radial force, a corresponding larger axial force is produced. High axial forces can crumple the brass when its critical buckling load is exceeded.
    Regards
    John

Start with a good barreled action stock and chamber
    Fire form brass to a dedicated gun and cast chamber. Check Headspace
    Primer pocket depth and flash hole centers
    Turn to a spec length
    Turn the necks or ream Experiment
    Size with a bushing neck die. So just keeping the bullet from falling out and tighten a little at a time to tune
    Use Wilson hand dies to seat bullet and experiment with different seating depth
    Run concentric gauge on finished round
    That kinda starts the process
    Different powders and weight, primers, I like Lapua Brass . It's an endless process.
    The process is different for autos
    NRA Endowment

Boolit Master
    John Boy I also polish my dies for the same reason, anyone who loads for 458 WM will know how easy it is to crush shell with rough dies. Regards Stephen