Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Electric Range Shopping

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

New Electric Range Shopping

I got rid of my old wood cook stove this past weekend. I'm trying to get rid of the wood burners here in the cabin, too much work for me now.
    I'm looking for a new range. I see most of the coil type stoves have an automatic shut off when they reach a certain heat, making problems for things like deep fat frying or stir fry cooking.
    I cook with cast iron, so am probably sticking to a coil type top.
    Any recommendations that don't cost a fortune?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    no recommemdations only observation, my kitchen appliances are on their last legs and face the very same options your most likely looking at. stoves made today have so much electronics in them and printed circuit switches I'm not sure which way to go. I'm thinking seriously about going with propane. my neighbor had same problem and rather than giving $800 to Lowes or Home Depot got a pretty awesome manual stainless propane stove off amazon delivered for less than $500. they run it off little 20 and 30lb tanks and put the piping in themselves with yellow covered ss corrugated tubing.

Propane is great when the power is out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

A lot get scrapped when still in great working shape because mama wants a new kitchen. I am much more familiar with the gas side but I would call someone who does remodels in Whitefish and ask what they have recently scrapped out.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

We have been using the entry level electric range for quite a while. We , on purpose , avoided all the electronic hoo haa that modern appliances seem to have to have. It is an Amana and the sticker claims '' American Made". These were about $350 a couple of years ago and Both Home Depot and Menards had them then. We have had two of them, The first one stayed with the house we sold in Florida. No frills but they work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the sticker says Made in America 008.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	266711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the sticker says Made in America 009.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	266712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the sticker says Made in America 010.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	266713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the sticker says Made in America 011.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	266714
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Waksupi:

We replaced our Electric Range/Oven at the Kalispell house with a Propane model. (Unique brand :https://bensdiscountsupply.com/uniqu...g-of1-b-black/). At the time; Home Depot and Lowes did not carry "Propane" off grid style ranges; but now seem to have some available : https://www.homedepot.com/b/Applianc...4FIA&gclsrc=ds

Reasons we decided to go this route:
    1. Forced to replace the Electric Range when a Wind storm downed the Electric lines to the house and the Range (and many other devices) got electrically burned out when 220V went down 110V legs in the house (fried the control panel for the Oven Part).

2. We wanted to have a stove that would work when the Electric Lines are downed by Ice or Wind Storms.

3. We wanted a stove that could operate to heat the house in Winter if we lost Power to HAVC, and the blower on the Wood Stove. Even at 20 below; 4 top burners and at the Oven(with door open) puts out a lot of BTU's to heat the house. We replaced the 500 Gallon Propane Tank with a 1000 Gallon Propane tank to ensure we had enough Propane to go through and entire year without refilling. We can refill in Aug/Sept when prices are usually the lowest; and good until the next Fall.

4. Gas (Propane) is better cooking according to my wife.

Should you consider going the Gas Stove Way - BEWARE -
    a. Many of the Gas stoves advertised actually have electric ovens. Make sure the oven is gas.
    b. I believe it's better to get a Propane Stove that is factory configured for Propane rather than trying to change out jets from Natural Gas to Propane.
    c. Make sure the Ignitors are battery operated - not Electric 110v operated. With the battery ignitors; one can use matches if needed to light the burners/oven. BUT - most of the 110v ignitors are set up to "TOTALY SHUT OFF GAS" if the 110v goes out; done to meet California Earth Quake requirements; this sucks for those living rural/remotely. Buy a stove without those California Engineered controls!!.

PS - If all you want is an electric stove with burners (no oven) drop me a PM. I will give you the old 220v electric range. It has a glass top; all 4 electric burners still work Great.

Oven, no bueno because the control panel got fried; although someone may be able to rework the oven control panel; I was unable to find replacement parts for the control panel, and my wife wanted to go Propane.)
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a used wood cook stove for my little shop, will serve as heat and a coffee warmer. I, like a lot here like to use propane but the suppliers around here are crazy so I switched to electric. The last propane I bought did it for me. They filled three 500 gal. tanks out of the same truck, my Mother's at $2,75 a gallon, my brother's at $2.25 a gallon and mine at $4.15 a gallon. I called and with the load of garbage I got I thought they needed to go into politics.

I was paying $65-$75 a month for cooking ,hot water and a rarely used wall heater. I replaced the range and water heater and bought a Duraflame electric heater. My electric bill went up $20 a month.

My wife wanted a smooth top but next time wants a coil type. I will say that they are easier to clean but more fragile and replacing the element is a problem. We tent to buy the simplest one we can get, just less problems. I do try to get the one she wants if possible as she feeds me rather well. She likes to use cast iron as well. We keep a propane camp stove as backup for power outages.

Boolit Master
    A year or so ago our electric (coil) stove packed it in. Wife decided we should get a glass top electric range, and we did. Worst thing we have done in a long time! The thing takes forever to boil a pot of water because the element keeps cycling off and on. She complains about how hard it is to keep clean. If you do not clean the top between every use, the bits of water with whatever they contain, become baked onto the surface. When that happens, you need a special cleaner (paste in a jar) to get it off. Oh, one other thing, our glass top stove has an oven that is less than impressive. I am at the point that I am seriously considering just biting the financial bullet and having the gas system extended to serve the stove and buying a real good commercial grade gas range. SO, my advice would be---if you can't find a coil burner served range (I am not sure what the new ones are like) find a good propane (or Natural gas if available) range. Good luck!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I replace a bunch of older electric ranges with stoves like frkelly74 uses. No frills and no thrills. Parts are inexpensive and plentiful when compared to signature or high end makes. Power requirements are less then original equipment. Light weight too. Don't forget to install the anti tip bracket.

Boolit Master

always use electric in rental houses and always use gas in your own. its awfully nice to cook when the power is out. hopefully if you do go electric you keep your old cook stove around for heat and end of the world cooking.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Gas stove beats electric Seven ways to Sunday ....Gas and cast iron pots do OK .
    By the way ... do you even have electricity or is the lighting by still with kerosene lamps .
    Avoid the new fangled Glass Top stoves ...they don't play well with cast iron pots and pans at all .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have a propane Premier Stove, made in the USA, with Battery powered Electric Spark ignition. It's been 3 years now on the same 8 AAs. There is no power cord so it works the same when the power's out, even the oven. Simmer doesn't go as low as I would like but that is my only complaint. $400 for the 30" one I got with no window
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Waksupi:

We replaced our Electric Range/Oven at the Kalispell house with a Propane model. (Unique brand :https://bensdiscountsupply.com/uniqu...g-of1-b-black/). At the time; Home Depot and Lowes did not carry "Propane" off grid style ranges; but now seem to have some available : https://www.homedepot.com/b/Applianc...4FIA&gclsrc=ds

Reasons we decided to go this route:
    1. Forced to replace the Electric Range when a Wind storm downed the Electric lines to the house and the Range (and many other devices) got electrically burned out when 220V went down 110V legs in the house (fried the control panel for the Oven Part).

2. We wanted to have a stove that would work when the Electric Lines are downed by Ice or Wind Storms.

3. We wanted a stove that could operate to heat the house in Winter if we lost Power to HAVC, and the blower on the Wood Stove. Even at 20 below; 4 top burners and at the Oven(with door open) puts out a lot of BTU's to heat the house. We replaced the 500 Gallon Propane Tank with a 1000 Gallon Propane tank to ensure we had enough Propane to go through and entire year without refilling. We can refill in Aug/Sept when prices are usually the lowest; and good until the next Fall.

4. Gas (Propane) is better cooking according to my wife.

Should you consider going the Gas Stove Way - BEWARE -
    a. Many of the Gas stoves advertised actually have electric ovens. Make sure the oven is gas.
    b. I believe it's better to get a Propane Stove that is factory configured for Propane rather than trying to change out jets from Natural Gas to Propane.
    c. Make sure the Ignitors are battery operated - not Electric 110v operated. With the battery ignitors; one can use matches if needed to light the burners/oven. BUT - most of the 110v ignitors are set up to "TOTALY SHUT OFF GAS" if the 110v goes out; done to meet California Earth Quake requirements; this sucks for those living rural/remotely. Buy a stove without those California Engineered controls!!.

PS - If all you want is an electric stove with burners (no oven) drop me a PM. I will give you the old 220v electric range. It has a glass top; all 4 electric burners still work Great.

Oven, no bueno because the control panel got fried; although someone may be able to rework the oven control panel; I was unable to find replacement parts for the control panel, and my wife wanted to go Propane.)
    I wasn't aware these were available. I did look at the electric ones at Home Depot today, not impressed. The propane models would be the ticket for me. I'll check them out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

You're gonna regret getting rid of your old wood cook stove. Wish I was near you, I'd have taken it off your hands. We had one in the old farmhouse where I grew up. Nothing to go wrong, and you're off the grid. Completely independent.
    My wife is happy with a glass top electric Frigidaire. Had an element go bad under the top and in the oven, easy to replace. Parts available on line. Over 15 years of service so far, still cooking 3 squares every day.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have a propane stove. Unfortunately, it uses main power to light the oven and the stove top burners. When power went out, we just used a lighter for the stove top, but the oven was a no go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I wasn't aware these were available. I did look at the electric ones at Home Depot today, not impressed. The propane models would be the ticket for me. I'll check them out.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-...00BP/203358114

Couldn't find my stove listed but I ordered it from HD online and had it delivered to the store.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    You're gonna regret getting rid of your old wood cook stove. Wish I was near you, I'd have taken it off your hands. We had one in the old farmhouse where I grew up. Nothing to go wrong, and you're off the grid. Completely independent.
    My wife is happy with a glass top electric Frigidaire. Had an element go bad under the top and in the oven, easy to replace. Parts available on line. Over 15 years of service so far, still cooking 3 squares every day.
    I won't regret it. I have another propane burner I've done the majority of my cooking on the past few years, and a roaster. Lots of other camping equipment to fall back on, not to mention my camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-...00BP/203358114

Couldn't find my stove listed but I ordered it from HD online and had it delivered to the store.
    I may give that a shot.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a razor blade to scrape my glass top. I use it it first with some Clorox cleanup then some windex. Works for me and so far girlfriend hadn't complained.

Banned
    Another vote here for Propane.

Excellent control of the heat. Works ALL the time, even when the power is off.

Make sure to get one with at least a couple of large burners. A continuous grate has become the standard and that's actually useful; you can slide pots without picking them up. Make sure the grate is easily removed for cleaning; most just lift off and few are a PITA to clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast