RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COVID Pewter drying up in my sources

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I buy various silicone molds from the craft store. I bought ones that look like 1” squares. If I fill them about 1/2 way up it’s 3oz about good for a 10 pound batch of lead.
    That's an alloy of 3 oz. of tin to 160 oz. of lead, roughly 53 to 1 (Pb to Sn), or about 1.8% tin (good to go by me!).

The other alloy of 16 Pb to 1 Sn is as Markopolo ciphered...

Under State mandated STAY HOME, the pewter "dry out" is not unusual as folks are just not coming out to see their shadows yet.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I melted four pounds of pewter plates down the other day to trade a member here for a box of 35 cal GCs. I noticed that I had issues trying to get the melted pewter out of my lee 4/20 pot. Maybe the pot wasn’t hot enough? I remember having the same issue last time I tried melting pewter in my lee 4/20 for some reason. I don’t usually melt my pewter into ignots anymore and just brake off a piece and weight it before adding. It’s easier that way so I’m not fighting with a thick ingot that doesn't weigh exactly what I need. It’s way easier to bend or cut a chunk of thin dinnerware and add it to my mix. If I smelt pewter ignots now it’s so I can send them in a smaller box to sell or trade so I can save on shipping.

Landowner, the expanded boolit is 16:1 pewter and pure load flooring mix. Sixteen pounds of lead flooring and one pound of pewter added for a total of 17 pounds is how I mix it. It has a BH of 7.8. I might have to try it on a deer in my 35 Rem. I tested it with clear PC and a GC all the way to max jacketed loads to 2100 FPS out of my chrony with Zero leading. When I was shooting with a 5.5 pound trigger vs a 2 1/4 pound trigger now. My best groups were with 50/50 COWW and pure with 2%pewter added. It shot a 1” group at 100 yards with the heavy trigger. My 16:1 with the same 40 grain varget load measured 2” at 100 yards. After the trigger adjustment my 50/50 alloy shot two, 3 shot groups in a row at 100 yards that Measured .250”! I never retested my 16:1 load to see if the groups shrank as well. If they followed suit I’m sure they are close to MOA now. I’m sure it would make a wicked light skinned game boolit at 2100 FPS. For now I think I’m going to stick with my 50/50 alloy since it shoots tighter at max 35 Rem book loads. Larry has shot quite a few deer and said most only take a few steps and pile up with correct shot placement using the same 50/50 alloy and HPs out of his 35 Rem at the same speeds. After I shoot a deer or two with 50/50 I’ll try one with the 16:1 for comparison. I do have the 16:1 as my goto alloy at 1600 FPS out of my 44 mag rifle In a Lyman devastator HP at 1600 FPS. I just never saw a deer last year to test it on. I’m more interested in seeing how adding 500 FPS with my 35 Rem does on putting a deer down quicker.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-06-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    I picked up another 8 lbs. locally last weekend. This was at antique stores where the price is usually higher than Goodwill or thrift shops. Paid $24. You might not need tin for casting boolits but it sure seems to make nice ones when included.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12