RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila rifle match and pistol match, any experience?

Aguila rifle match and pistol match, any experience?

I happened into a store that had a quantity of both Aguila rifle match and pistol match both with 40 grain bullets, so I purchased a few boxes to try out.
    Anyone here have experience with either or both of these?

Banned
    Yes, and like all .22 RF ammo, it really comes down to what a particular gun likes.
    Aguila worked in terms of fit & function but it didn't yield the best groups for me. It has been a long time but if memory serves, their "match" loads were simply standard velocity versions of their regular loads.

Banned
    Taz, if you're looking for a good cartridge to run in those 500 series Remington rifles, I suggest you try to find some Remington .22 Standard Velocity Target ammunition (Blue box)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0400.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	266708 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0404.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	266709

I went through dozens of brands and types in my quest for the best load in a Remington 541T and guess what? The Remington rifle shot the Remington Target ammo the best !
    I can't say you will get the same result but it's a good place to start.

Boolit Grand Master
    P&P's experience mirrors mine. .22 ammunition that is great is one gun may be mediocre in another. If you find something that works in your favorite gun, buy a bunch!!!
    Don Verna

Banned
    When it comes to improving the accuracy of a rimfire rifle, the very best "bang for your buck" (pardon the pun) is to find the ammo your rifle likes.

Nothing will pay better accuracy dividends than finding the right ammo.
    When you do, buy as much as you can. Sometimes even buying as much from the same lot if you can.

Boolit Master

My LGS gave me a brick of Aguila super extra when i bought my Ruger MK4. I had a lot of no fires with it. It would fire second time around at least. Other than that they worked good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

These are going to run a a couple of CZ bolt action rifles. Both rifles are scoped and will do one hole groups at 50 yards with Norma match.
    I have never had access to this particular ammo before and thought I would try some and see how it does.
    I have tried MANY different brands and types of ammo in these rifles. I will continue to try different brands and types as they become available to me.
    Some brands are simply not available locally(within 100 miles).
    Ordering online at the moment has it's own problems.

Banned
    If you're getting 1 hole groups at 50 yards with Norma match ammunition, I would venture a guess that you have found your ammunition for those rifles !

I've been very impressed with CZ's quality, particularly in their .22 rimfire rifles.

As for the current state of ammunition supply, from both on-line retailers and bricks & mortar stores; I suspect the situation will improve after the election. Seems like we're destined to go through this cycle of panic and hoarding every few years.

Boolit Master

I find they work OK
    BUT
    They work great if you will weigh the cartridges
    and then shoot them in that assortment.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

petrol & powder's comments reflect my experience with it as well. My lot was supposedly made under Eley supervision, but it shot quite inaccurately in my HB Marlin match .22 (tweaked by a local gunsmith). Weighing it helped greatly, but it was no match for either the Federal 900B or Wolf Match Extra I was then using.

Vendor Sponsor

I got a case of it some time back. (Aguila Match)
    It is Eley primed.

The often stated advice, "if you find some ammo that your rifle likes, buy all you can afford" or some such.
    Good advice as far as it goes.
    The other half of that wisdom that is missing sometimes is that promotional ammo (bulk) and lower end ammo lacks the consistency to compete with purpose built MATCH ammo. Mostly, you get what you pay for. Match the accuracy you are willing to pay for to your needs.

I compete in the 200 meter 22 BPCR Silhouette game. Targets past 100 meters sorts out the better standard velocity makes from the top Eley match, RWS 50, 100, and any left over lots of Olympic grade Federal and the like.

My opinion is, the worst lots of Eley Red or Black box MATCH ammo will shoot rings around the best of the best promo ammo or products like Federal 510 and the like in my rifles. I guess what I am saying is, if you are looking for very accurate ammo in the cheap boxes - you could look your whole life. Even if you use some method to sort the cheap stuff, it has too much variation hidden in it.
    That isn't to say it isn't good enough for your needs.

I use the inexpensive Aguila Match as practice ammo. It is very good in all four of my silhouette rifles. It is very good for the price! Its only problem is the unexpected flyer now or then. In a match that is double trouble. You missed your expected shot location AND you now are looking for a missed condition that the last shot caused. Past that, it is pretty darn good stuff for practice. If you think it is good enough will just depends on what your needs are.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 08-24-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: fix some typos
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I use it as practice and plinking ammo, fairly accurate but it not match grade. I have a Kimber 82G single shot that loves it and shoots it better than Wolf Match or CCI Green Tag. Go figure! Has a funny odor if you shoot it indoors out of a pistol. For the most part I like it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.
    I'll try it out and post a result.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.
    I'll try it out and post a result.
    What is the going price on 50?

I will be interested in hearing how you do with it in the Kimber
    Chill Wills

I don't have the Kimber any more. It never shot as well as either of my CZ rifles with any ammunition at my disposal.
    I traded the Kimber for a S&W 19 with just a little boot. I got more from the Kimber than I paid for it. Surprise there.

Price for the ammunition was $4 a box of 50.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't have the Kimber any more. It never shot as well as either of my CZ rifles with any ammunition at my disposal.
    I traded the Kimber for a S&W 19 with just a little boot. I got more from the Kimber than I paid for it. Surprise there.

Price for the ammunition was $4 a box of 50.
    $4 a box is a good price. Being just before the election I would ask them about taking it all. You won't be sorry using it for most shooting. That is a Good price anytime! Good for you!

BTW- I would love to pick up a little used M-19 and sorry I did not in the 1970's.
    Chill Wills

Given the place where I purchased it, I expect they really don't sell much of it. There should be quite a bit left there when I get it tested. They had several bricks of both types when I was there.

Boolit Master
    A tip from our 22 bench shooters: When changing ammo brands, clean your barrel first, then shoot a few rounds to coat the bore with the new bullet lube. As for ammo choice for best accuracy- it's up to the barrel, not us or you, and unfortunately, your barrel doesn't care about your budget.

Personally I've shot almost zero Aguila in recent years. My experience from a decade ago wasn't good, so I just haven't bought any.

If you have to weight-sort it to get decent accuracy, that tells you something right there. If they can't even hold the weight, they aren't keeping any of other dozen or two process parameters that make for good ammo under control either. Puts it in the Thunderduds class AFAIK.

BUT - with ammo as scarce as it is right now, you can't be too picky about it. Especially at the price. I'm seeing scalpers asking as much as $12 for some types of CCI ammo online, and getting it. Buy it, sort it, shoot it. In more recent years I've had remarkable success using a Waltz-type swaging tool to uniform the bullets in cheap ammo. Even Thunderduds. We do what we have to do in times of famine.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    If you have to weight-sort it to get decent accuracy, that tells you something right there. If they can't even hold the weight, they aren't keeping any of other dozen or two process parameters that make for good ammo under control either. Puts it in the Thunderduds class AFAIK.
    Hey urcra112, Good morning,
    Are you talking about Aguila MATCH with Eley primed cases? Or one of the lower promo products in their line that you have had experience a decade ago?

My current experience with their MATCH 22 product in my CPA Stevens match rifle and my Cody Ballard is really very good with no attempt to sort. I think they work equally well in my Winchester low wall barreled with the Shilen ratchet twist. However, that is my iron sight rifle and these older eyes sometimes may be the cause for the mystery flyer now and then.

That's my three cents worth.
    Chill Wills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast