Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry 357 mag advice

Boolit Master

Henry 357 mag advice

I need some advice about which Henry 357 mag lever action to buy. I am just going to shoot cast boolits at a gong for fun no hunting just target practice . Which size loop big or small , barrel length 16" or 20" ? I like the looks of the case hardened one but please give me some much needed advice. Thanks

Boolit Master

all I can say for sure is I wished mine had the large loop.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I have a big boy it's good out to 100 yards. Shoot 125, 158 and 180's. I have a big loop and shooting from a bench it gets in the way.

Moderator Emeritus

I have the 16" case colored carbine....shoots great....after I put fiber-optic sights on it.....Could not get the buck-horn sights to work for my old eyes. I have not shot cast through it yet....but I love it and I know you will also. Very handy size!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I got a bbs 41 when they first came out, real nice gun. if I were to get another it would be the carbine with shorter barrel and larger lever loop.
    my wish for Henry -- polish to next finer grit before blueing, other than that real fine gun. but then again its not a Weatherby mark V

Boolit Master
    got the Henry BB steel large loop 44 Mag Going to introduce it to a big black bear thats been annoying my dogs at night (pressa canario & cane corso) He's got raiding the bird feeder,BBQ,and neighbors garbage down to an art form. Thats got to stop!

Boolit Master
    I've got the big boy brass with the standard loop in 357 Mag. does great with all kinds of cast, some plain base, some gas checked, some PC'd. Large loop might get in the way if you shoot with a bench set-up, but I'm not sure as I have not tried it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    My range's chief safety officer has a Winchester 92 357M. It came with a large loop, he had it swapped for a standard loop. Personal preference.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think it's a personal choice as go whether you like the large loop or the regular loop. When I was looking, I had pretty much decided I wanted the short barreled steel with a large loop - but then I had a chance to handle the BBS with the 20" barrel and standard loop. Once I had a chance to handle,. I bought it and love it. Mine has a butter smooth action. I hated the rear sight and switched out to a Skinner. As someone mentioned, a large loop might get in the way if you are shooting from a bench but I suppose that depends on the rest you're using? If I was going to hunt with it in cold weather with shooting gloves, then maybe a large loop would be an advantage.

See if you can handle both the large and the regular loop rifle and that will tell you what you'll like best. I love my Henrys and I've never regretted getting my 357.

I love my Henry 357 and 44. My only gripe is about the weight - a M92 is much lighter and handier. But I love the rifles. Both have the small loop. I can see np advantage for the large loop here in AL.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Small loop, 20 inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Henry's site has them listed for 50.00 Wanting to get one for my 44.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for all the help today I ordered a Henry 20 " barrel, small loop, steel big boy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Thank you for all the help today I ordered a Henry 20 " barrel, small loop, steel big boy.
    For the kind of shooting you have planned that should do nicely. I had a 20" brass with the octagon barrel and it was just too heavy to be practical.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

People ether love the Big Boy or hate it. First cowboy match with the Big Boy I was told it will not work. Shot the match clean and asked if it was okay to use now. They are heavy and not fast but fun to shoot.

I've got a brass with small loop and for a factory rifle i have no complaints.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

It's a personal thing. I hate large loops. Don't like brass & I'll take a 20 inch barrel everytime.

Boolit Master
    I would avoid the brass reciever and octagonal barreled ones. Too heavy!
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Henry offers large loops for $50 depending what model you have, My hand don't fit or twist right in the normal size