MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: BLL speed / smoke question

Boolit Buddy

BLL speed / smoke question

anyone shooting 223 cast in an AR with BLL vs PC

Will the BLL take 223 speed up to say 2900 - 3000 fps , and how much does it smoke when shot ?

Boolit Master
    In my 35 Whelen BLL faded out and leaded about 2200fps. PC in the same rifle hasn't been tried above 1900fps so I don't know the threshold there yet. Smoke wasn't an issue.

Boolit Master
    I use Ben’s read on my Cast Boolets. I like to lube and size on my bullets then store them in plastic bags. I quickly found out if you do that in the summer months, in a place that gets a little on the warm side, you wind up with a big mess in a plastic bag. I solve that problem by applying a thin coat of BLL. Kind a like a sealer. I’ve never had a leading problem but if you happen to shoot at an indoor range, you better make darn sure that their ventilation system is working well! Outdoors not a problem
    Last edited by poppy42; 08-24-2020 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I hate freaking auto correct!!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I use 3 coats of BLL in .308 and 35 whelen to 2500 FPS. Absolutely no leading.
    I read on here a few years ago about someone using BLL or Ben”s Red at I think 2900 or so FPS. in .22 cal., but don’t remember who it was. They also reported good accuracy at that speed?
    If you have the boolit fit right BLL has been amazing for me.

I’ve shot a bit faster than 2500 with it in the .308, but my best accuracy worked out at 2450 FPS. with that particular boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone. I think I may give it a go. if it dont work I am only out like $20 and some time

I've used it in BO & 30/30 to ~2k fps, no problem. I use 2 coats and no mineral spirits in it (smell of MS is bad for me). Smoke is only bad from the BO pistol. Couldn't get it to work on rifle PB at any high pressure.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I use 2 coats and no mineral spirits in it (smell of MS is bad for me).
    I have used 91% alcohol as a thinning and drying aid in BLL2 (Lundmark) with good results.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    I use 3 coats of BLL in .308 and 35 whelen to 2500 FPS. Absolutely no leading.
    I read on here a few years ago about someone using BLL or Ben”s Red at I think 2900 or so FPS. in .22 cal., but don’t remember who it was. They also reported good accuracy at that speed?
    If you have the boolit fit right BLL has been amazing for me.

I’ve shot a bit faster than 2500 with it in the .308, but my best accuracy worked out at 2450 FPS. with that particular boolit.
    How much do you apply? I have some 30 cal bullets coated 3x and I am afraid to shoot them, its hard to believe the slight brown tint coat is going to protect me from leading in a rifle?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    How much do you apply? I have some 30 cal bullets coated 3x and I am afraid to shoot them, its hard to believe the slight brown tint coat is going to protect me from leading in a rifle?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Very light coats, the first coat won’t even change the color of the boolit, let dry a few hrs., then the second very light coat, then a few hrs. later the third coat... let dry over night.
    After 3 coats you can see the light amberish color change.
    Boolit fit is king, providing that, there should be no leading.

This is BLL with the original JLW, I haven’t tried the Lundmark wax version.

I sometimes overcoat PC with BLL for sizing, MS will dissolve PC. Alcohol should evaporate completely.
    Whatever!