Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to casting

Boolit Mold

New to casting

Just had 1000 pounds of lead dropped at my shop for free, going to start casting. Need ideas of what equipment I should get ... Have a 45 Henry Bigboy....

Banned
    Welcome to Cast boolits Redtop72.

Lead is not, all the same, what/where did the lead come from?
    You need a casting pot, suitable boolit mod for your gun, either a lube-sizer and lube, tumble lube and boolit sizing die or powdercoating setup and boolit sizing die. a reloading press, reloading scale, and a reloading manual (layman#3 cast bullets is a good one), brass for the gun, and some way to clean the brass, powder, and primers for your gun and reloading dies for your gun.

for starters. the deeper you get into it the more stuff you'll want/need
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-23-2020 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Boolit Master

New to casting

Depending on the source of the lead you could parse it out and sell here or on Fleabay to fund buying the equipment too. Might also see if anyone is willing to trade straight lead for equipment.

There is a couple members on here with access to xRay guns that will test content for you. Sometimes your local scrap shops will do this for you for free but if not members on here will do for the cost of some extra lead. I know BNE has done this from one of my buddies quite a bit. Once tested and known type it’s easier to price and buyers are more likely to buy cause they have confidence in what they’re getting. Sell 20% of what you have and could fund buying decent setup to cast out the rest and still have enough to make more than 18,000 bullets at 310gr (heavy 44 bullet mold).

Boolit Bub
    Lead is very dangerous.
    Please DO NOT mess with it and especially with 1000 Lbs of it. I can come and pick it up and dispose it properly for you for no charge. I’m just a nice guy.

Welcome to the forum.

Well you need a pot and heat source. This can be a stainless sauce pot and a propane camp stove or an electric melting pot made for the purpose, such as the lee magnum melter. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213626 Then you need a dipper such as the Lyman or RCBS. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010226746

The lee melter and Lyman ladle is what I use.

Or you might like a bottom pour pot like the Lee 20 pound https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1262645810

Then you need a bullet mould for the caliber. Honestly, I'd buy RCBS. While many use Lee moulds, myself included, it's not without issue. RCBS moulds are easy to learn with. And you need a pair of handles for it. A pair of Lee handles ground down a smidge to fit works well and that's what I use.

Then you need a way to size and lube the resultant bullets. A used Lyman 450 works for me. But pan lubing also works with a lee push through die for sizing. I've done both and I'm not looking to give up my Lyman 450 anytime soon. Pan lubing works and is cheap though and I've done a mess of it.

White Lable Lube, 50/50 or BAC, or make your own for pan lubing 2:1 beeswax and unsalted crisco.

If you buy used, like say, a Lyman 450, you can get one for 75 bucks. Then your able to get your money back if you change your mind or upgrade later on.

And you'll need a stainless table spoon with a wooden handle to stir and skim.

If your lead is dirty you want to use a separate pot to clean it and make ingots to start before putting it in your pot if you choose a bottom pour pot. But if you go magnum melter you can get by a while with just that.

For ingot moulds you can buy them, or you can use one piece cupcake pans from yardsales and thrift stores.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-24-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Welcome.

I'd get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and read through it a couple of times.
    Find out what ya got as far as the Lead goes.

Spend a few hours here reading, especially the 'stickies'.

Then go from there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Here a bit of reading for you.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...-%20Reduce.pdf

I also recommend the Lyman cast Bullet Handbook 4th.

Boolit Master

New to casting

Another good source of info that helped me get started:

From Ingot to Target:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Edit: Bazoo beat me by seconds. this link is a downloadable PDF though. I keep it on my phone for reference when needed.

Boolit Mold
    Already have multiple machines and equipment.... Just new to the lead game... Thanks everyone for the homework...��

Boolit Master
    after decades of casting bullets I recommend jumping right in and get the 454640 mold from mp-molds, they are discounted right now and is the one of the finest molds available for about the same cost as Lyman or rcbs. the flat round nose design chambers very easily in lever actions. I don't have a semi wad cutter mold for my 45 colt cuz I have had chambering problems with other pistol caliber lever actions using Keith design bullets. that's my experience anyway. ive got the same 640 mp mold for my Henry 41 mag it works great too.
    what form is this lead in? one big chunk? wheel weights?
    I guess I'm old school still using a Lyman lube sizer have not ventured into baking power paint bullets yet.
    one of the guys on this forum makes real good lube sticks, lsstuff.com white label lube or there is a whole bunch of info here on how to make your own bullet lube

Boolit Master
    My buddy has the Henry and found the same feeding issue with SWC/Kieth type bullets. I cast his bullets and he reports excellent results with the LEE 452-255 RF sized .452 and lubed with either White Label XLOX 2500 or the old 50/50 NRA formula.

Boolit Grand Master

Redtop - when you say you have multiple machines I assume you mean reloading machines and you are very familiar with reloading. If not please clarify this.

Second issue is available space. You need a place to do this and possibly convert an unusable large single quantity of lead into useable ingots that will fit in a melting/casting pot. Thus the question of the source of the lead - composition and quality, how much work are you looking at to convert what you have into useable casting metal?

I said the above because most of us with 'shops' - space is already at a premium. You may need space to melt large quantities of lead to clean and convert it into ingots - typically outdoors - and space to cast boolits - typically indoors.

The guys who have advised you about specific equipment for casting are leading you correctly, but you need to think about the process of getting your lead into the condition to cast boolits with and in the size and shape to fit into a casting pot.
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 08-24-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Lee bottom dripper, what ever mould - refer to the guys that cast for your RIFLE. How big a chunk of lead? Whittle down to size with elec chain saw. Depends on what it is as to how much zinc or other 'less desirable' metal in it. Don't need to xrf it, try muratic acid (foams if zinc), slow heat to get stuff to float to top, ect. Propane turkey fryer and half a propane bottle (etc) with old muffin tins to make ingots.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    that's it! I need to make new friends. the kind redtop has, that just drop by with 1000lbs of lead.
    still curious what form the lead is in. there have been all kinds of discussions here about how to to get big chunks like sailboat keels into bite size pieces.

Boolit Mold
    About 500 ingots in different sizes

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Redtop - when you say you have multiple machines I assume you mean reloading machines and you are very familiar with reloading. If not please clarify this.

Second issue is available space. You need a place to do this and possibly convert an unusable large single quantity of lead into useable ingots that will fit in a melting/casting pot. Thus the question of the source of the lead - composition and quality, how much work are you looking at to convert what you have into useable casting metal?

I said the above because most of us with 'shops' - space is already at a premium. You may need space to melt large quantities of lead to clean and convert it into ingots - typically outdoors - and space to cast boolits - typically indoors.

The guys who have advised you about specific equipment for casting are leading you correctly, but you need to think about the process of getting your lead into the condition to cast boolits with and in the size and shape to fit into a casting pot.
    Have an iron press, auto ap press set up with both rifle and pistol, dryer, large sonic cleaner, powder coating, auto scale, micrometers, bullet seating micrometers, 1600 SQ. Ft. Shop, case prep center, annealer, and a few more things

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    farmbif... I agree... I need new friends

Boolit Master
    Ingots imply that somebody already processed the lead. Did your lead donor give you any idea on the source or composition of what was given?

Unless you have a couple tractors and ATVs parked in there, it seems you have plenty of space. Lead storage is just a matter of a few square feet of floor space in an accessible corner. Processing and casting equipment can be shelved over it, to be used on a bench or floor as needed, though a volume caster might dedicate bench space full time the way many reloaders do.

Equipment used depends on a combination of need (application, volume), desire (gottahaves and wantahaves) and resources. Feeding a single rifle might require forty high quality rounds a year for sighting in, practice and hunting. Feeding an action pistol habit might need forty thousand reasonably accurate rounds in the same timespan. A single cavity mold and ladle pouring from a 10# pot works for the first, an eight cavity mold with a 20+# PID controlled bottom pour is better for the second. Gas checking may be the way to go for some rifle applications. Coating the boolits rather than lubing traditionally lends itself to high volume, and may allow the use of alloys that aren't as hard as often recommended for the application. Also, some want to dip their toes first, others dive right in.

So, what and how much are you going to shoot? Are you just trying this out of curiosity, or do you think that this will be the direction your reloading is going in the long run? What kind of resources might you commit to this?

You guys crack me up. He doesn’t need help finding places to store it lol. I suggest that you buy some antimony and tin, and start casting for whatever pistols/slow rifles you shoot the most. See where that takes you. As far as molds, I think the best value in molds is MP. They are under 100$ and they are beautifully made, and many of them drop more bullets per cast than your average Lyman/rcbs/old styles where 2 cav was considered standard. I like to have at least 5 cav per cast, really speeds it up.

Boolit Master

Nice amount of lead, be careful, it will disappear faster, than you think!