WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chrome removel

Boolit Buddy

chrome removel

I have a ww2 hi power that I want to remove the chrome plating, anyway I can do myself without damaging the steel?

thanks kurt

That's one gun refinishing question I don't know the answer to. I hope someone else does, and we'll both get educated. If that doesn't happen, then I'd suggest phoning Brownell's and chatting with one of their gunsmiths. Chrome is a plating, but different than nickel, and I would assume that it can probably be removed chemically, perhaps in combination with electric current. You could also try a custom car accessory manufacturer who makes chrome items like bumpers and maybe get an answer there.

Depends on what kind of chrome is on there, Nickel , Hard, chromate, Sub straight?
    Pics would be helpful. Der Gebirgsjager beat me to this post, Every harley has nickel chrome.
    Last edited by super6; 08-23-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Do your own research:
    But I'd heard from a couple of folks talking about it that your have
    to do the same electric/bath process as plating, only reverse the polarity.

Chrome is harder than steel, sanding it off isn't practical.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Chrome plating is very thin. I worked in a plating shop doing parts for cars for 40 years. To remove the chrome we had a caustic bath that we would hook up to reverse plate the chrome off. You hook the part up to the positive side and hook the negative side to some steel strips hanging in the solution. You should be able to buff the chrome off because it is not that thick, but you will probably have a layer of nickel and maybe copper under that. the nickel and the copper are much thicker than the chrome. If you decide to take the chrome off with a power supply you will only need around 6 volts. The hard part is going to get the nickel off if you are trying to get it down to bear metal.

This^^^^
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Hey I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I have a rather nice Bowie knife that was handmade that someone found sticking out of a hog carcass in the woods in Florida. The idiot I got it from thought it would be a good idea to chrome plate the blade and I’ve been trying to figure out for years how to get it off without damaging the blades ability to hold an edge. I would imagine it was very cheaply chrome plated but I’m not sure anybody got any suggestions on the easiest way to do it. With the above method work? So as not to hijack this thread feel free to PM me with any advice.
    Thanks,
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    With the above method work?
    The Chrome doesn't know, or care where it is when the electricity gets it moving toward where it wants to go.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Just remember that Chrome and other metals are positive ions, so if you want to reverse plate it off you have to hook up the positive terminal to the part you want the chrome off of. Not sure how much caustic is needed to carry the current to remove the chrome. I do know that if I had chrome on my hands I would wash it off in the in the bath to get it off and my skin did not eat off.

Boolit Master
    Most gun refinishers only charge around $50-75 to remove existing plating, in conjunction with a refinishing job. Personally, I think that's the best way to go.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Unless you plan on re-plating it, I would leave it alone. After the plating is removed, your tolerances will open up and the parts fit won't be very good.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    I researched this a few months back..

Deplating is the way to go, it will remove the chrome and not touch the base metal. I have had it done to a Dreyse needle gun, and the results were excellent.. but!

It is possible to do this yourself, but you will end up with several gallons of extremely toxic waste, which is almost impossible to dispose of safely. Don't even think about dumping it down the drain or in the back lot.. the environmental police will hunt you down and roast you alive (... with my full approval!)

You are far better to take it to your local plating shop who will simply put the chrome back on the next hub cap they treat and will have approved disposal routes for any waste they produce. Deplating is easy and should be cheap..

The one thing you need to do is make sure the platers oil up the metal when it comes out of the wash otherwise it will rust as you look at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The Chrome doesn't know, or care where it is when the electricity gets it moving toward where it wants to go.
    What do use for a caustic solution? Oh and only 6 volte needed will a 9 volt battery work?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I would try a battery charger set to 6 volts. A 9volt battery will not have enough amps to do the job. You will need about 20 amps if I remember right. If you don't get enough amps then close the gap between the part and the steel plates.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Are you sure it's chrome, or nickel?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty sure it's chrome, has not dulled any in the 40yrs I've owned it and has that blue tint to it.

Boolit Master
    A lot of cheap chrome plate (Indian) is done direct onto steel,those with experience will tell that a chrome coat appears in a few seconds ,as it is only a few millionths thick .....If this is the case with your gun ,then it should be very easy to remove.......however ,a good triple plate job ,is probably best left alone ,or if the gun is of some value to you ,you might consider having it chrome flashed again,which will restore the appearance,maybe dull chrome ,or black.........Advice re disposal is sound ......municipal sewers have continuous testing of discharge for pollutants ,and the drain feds will come right back to your sink with amazing ease.Industrial strength penalties wont be pretty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cub45 View Post
    I have a ww2 hi power that I want to remove the chrome plating, anyway I can do myself without damaging the steel?

thanks kurt
    you obviously don't care about originality so why not just have it coated right over the chrome? Even duracote is fairly tough and easy to touch up and you can do it at home.

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd the gun was not org chromed, like to get it back to blued.

Boolit Master

If it were properly chromed, it required refitting to keep tolerances between parts where they should be. Chrome plating adds thickness and can cause binding it the gun is not refitted, Removing the chrome can cause looseness and affect timing in revolvers. On the Highpower it will affect slide fit, therefore accuracy and possibly functioning.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast