Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Commercial Casters offering the Saeco #453 wadcutter design

Boolit Mold

Commercial Casters offering the Saeco #453 wadcutter design

Does anyone know of commercial sources for the Saeco #453 design wadcutter? (And maybe also the Lyman 452460, while I'm at it)

I know of two companies - Montana Bullet Works (who are currently not accepting orders until at least August 31) and Western Bullet Company. (Who has a "spotty" quality and delivery reputation and a few BBB complaints.)

Are there any others? I would like to try out some of these bullets before plunking down any wampum for a mold. I already have a 4 cav for the Lyman 452460, but no desire to cast right now in Florida heat/rain/humidity.

I know that the late Terry Murbach was impressed by the Saeco #453.

Boolit Master

One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Sorry can’t help with a source for the SAECO 453 castings. I can tell you from my personal use it’s wonderfully accurate in my 45ACP revolvers. The 453 was the best of all 45 cal molds I tried in my old, tired, worn and pitted barrel 1917 Brazilian contract. It actually shot what could be called a minute of man group. Most other 45 home cast looked like I hit the target with buck shot. The 453 sent a thrill up my leg the way it clustered out of my 25-2’s out of AR brass or moon clips. Also for what it’s worth, I just love the clean round holes in paper. Been about 10+ years but best I recall. I was launching them with 4.0-4.5 of Bullseye using straight clip-ons and possibly a touch of tin to get a good fill out. It also recall it clustering well for me in mild to medium 45 Colt hand loads but there were better more accurate options when I heated it up.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. One of the best things about buying molds. It’s usually easy to recover a good portion or more of your investment selling them used either here or on eBay.
    Last edited by azrednek; 08-22-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The Saeco #453 is a 225 gr wadcutter...

Western Bullets lists one on their site, but I was having trouble navagating to a page on the 453... https://www.westernbullet.com/sa4gr.html
    Last edited by mdi; 08-23-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your reply, but no, those aren't the bullet I was hoping to find.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    The Saeco #453 is a 225 gr wadcutter...

Western Bullets lists one on their site, but I was having trouble navagating to a page on the 453... https://www.westernbullet.com/sa4gr.html
    Western Bullet has the best price, but a spotty reputation for quality and timely delivery. It looks like Montana Bullet Works is going to be my source...when they have "caught up" and are accepting orders again. They are expensive...but are ladle cast and not machine cast.

Boolit Master

I see Missouri bullet is not listing the swc i use for 45 colt no longer. A lot of places are back ordered. Hopefully the madness will let up soon.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.