Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 WCF / 38-40 affair

Outpost
    I don't have the time but your post gave me an idea for a project....
    That 10X25R round would make an excellent cartridge for Lever Action Silhouette. That cartridge in a carbine with a short action/short receiver would be a winning combination.

A man can dream can't he?

David

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    Outpost
    I don't have the time but your post gave me an idea for a project....
    That 10X25R round would make an excellent cartridge for Lever Action Silhouette. That cartridge in a carbine with a short action/short receiver would be a winning combination.

A man can dream can't he?

David
    John Taylor has the chamber reamer and die reamer I had made. I'm sure that he can make that happen.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=bigted;4968153]I tried the Lee 175 TC but with no crimp groove, they telescoped back into the case on a few.

Missouri bullets have a good boolit that has the crimp groove for loading smokeless ... my 8.5 grain loads do awesome with this boolit.

Joe, I loaded 38 grains of Old E 3 F but have yet to get out to try em loaded with the Missouri boolits ( they come lubed with smokeless lube so very hot water bath and wiping the lube grooves clean was needed then SPG added to the grooves ). The Lee 175's did great over that same 38 grain load tho. Just don't hold enough lube for my 24 inch barrel so fouling was an issue. Great lookin old 92. Did you bore it out or rebarrel?

Ted ---sorry -- I missed this - yes rebarrel - 26 inch - shortened forend - octagon section is 12" and the round 14" - standard winchester profile they said - but I seen all shapes and sizes so I think "standard" was whatever you ordered.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    [QUOTE=indian joe;4972416]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I tried the Lee 175 TC but with no crimp groove, they telescoped back into the case on a few.

Missouri bullets have a good boolit that has the crimp groove for loading smokeless ... my 8.5 grain loads do awesome with this boolit.

Joe, I loaded 38 grains of Old E 3 F but have yet to get out to try em loaded with the Missouri boolits ( they come lubed with smokeless lube so very hot water bath and wiping the lube grooves clean was needed then SPG added to the grooves ). The Lee 175's did great over that same 38 grain load tho. Just don't hold enough lube for my 24 inch barrel so fouling was an issue. Great lookin old 92. Did you bore it out or rebarrel?

Ted ---sorry -- I missed this - yes rebarrel - 26 inch - shortened forend - octagon section is 12" and the round 14" - standard winchester profile they said - but I seen all shapes and sizes so I think "standard" was whatever you ordered.
    What else besides the barrel did you have to change going from .32 WCF to the .38 WCF ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Eddie Southgate;4989011]
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post

What else besides the barrel did you have to change going from .32 WCF to the .38 WCF ?
    everything but it was fun and I learnt a bunch of stuff
    The only parts I didnt alter in some way was the lever, the hammer bottom tang/trigger assembly, and locking bolts.

Its a pretty major project

Boolit Master
    I ran into an 1873 chambered in 38 WCF at my LGS last week along with a a 30 WCF. I had never seen a trapdoor or a saddle ring carbine in person. Surly the spoils of a deceased collector. They didn't have any price tags and I was afraid to ask. Neither are common here.

my 38/40 is a Winchester lowwall, purchased in Denver Colorado in the 1890s by my great grand father. it shoots pretty well with my reloads . I also have a Uberti Cattleman to carry with it. Fun duo would be a gross understatemen
    t

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    [QUOTE=indian joe;4989099]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post

everything but it was fun and I learnt a bunch of stuff
    The only parts I didnt alter in some way was the lever, the hammer bottom tang/trigger assembly, and locking bolts.

Its a pretty major project
    That's what I was afraid of . I see lots of 25-20 and 32-20 rifles under $1000 but hardly ever see one in 38-40 or 44-40 in that range . I got a 1st gen Colt in 38-40 but no rifle to match .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I would love to have a nice little model 92 in .38-40wcf and a Colt new service with a 5 1/2 inch barrel in same .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12