Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hissfest 2020 - Mittens update.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Mix in minced garlic in their soft foods or powdered garlic on dry. Fleas hate garlic 🧄!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Hissfest 2020 - Mittens update.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    She did remarkably well.

I assembled a flea trap last night and ran it overnight. It consists of an incandescent light positioned over a baking pan filled with water and dish soap. Fleas are drawn to light and warmth at night. They jump toward the light and end up in the water. With the dish soap, the surface tension of the water keeps them from floating and they drown. All we had this morning were a few gnats so it was a good sign. I will be running it for a few more nights just to see if we have a problem or not.
    We bought a setup like this. Forget the brand. Had s sticky trap under the light . Hartz maybe? Basically a nightlight at 90 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

DO NOT FEED PETS garlic!!!!!! It is toxic to them even in tiny amounts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Mix in minced garlic in their soft foods or powdered garlic on dry. Fleas hate garlic ��!
    NO!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO THAT IN ANY AMOUNT!!!!!!!!

Garlic and onion are VERY toxic to cats in even very small amounts and it doesn't take much at all to kill a cat!! If you have been doing that you cat is suffering from it even if you aren't noticing the effects and they can die from it. ASK YOUR VET and see what they tell you about feeding Garlic to a cat!!

Besides that "trick" doesn't work anyway!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

How’s Mittens been doing?

Boolit Master
    Top of the day all.
    Mittens is doing very well. I was actually just playing fetch with her. We have these small furry mice that she loves. I'll throw it and she chases it and proudly carrying it back towards us. The other girls have turned the corner and tolerate her sitting near them. It's not always free of drama but a huge difference from a few weeks back.
    I came home from work yesterday and Mittens was upstairs. When she heard me, she started peeping and came running down and proceeded to grab a leg and lay her head on my feet.
    At night, we have to feed her and get her settled otherwise it is endless running and peeping.
    She has peed on some carpets and furniture which we are dealing with but it has smoothed out quite a bit.
    I'll have to post up some videos and share the links.

Boolit Master
    Please do, she sounds adorable, well except for peeing on stuff! I am presently looking at my wife, 1 cat to each side and one on the back of the couch, love our furrbabies!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

The wife and I were talking the other day, we have three cats, one is 13, the other two about five now. The oldest one is among the sweetest pets I've ever known and I love him dearly and am dreading the coming day in a few years.

Wife always wants to have three. I do believe if you have one cat, you need at least two. I love kittens but know how hard they are on older cats, and not sure I want another one until all the current ones are passed.

Boolit Master
    My 19 yr old cat died in his sleep last year,and I got a new shelter cat.....I was assured by the shelter he had been handed in,but Im positive he s been feral as a kitten....he much prefers lizards and grasshoppers to catfood,and he doesnt know how to drink water...........Anyway,the birds got used to the old cat ,divebombing him all the time ,the new cat ,he can jump 10ft straight up and catch a butterfly between his paws........deadly on divebombing birds.

Boolit Master
    Love the stories,, and especially the update on Mittens.

As time goes on,, her peeing on things can go away,, if she is "fixed" and they all have litter boxes. We keep more litter boxes than we have cats,, (and we have 4 cats,) to allow them a space of their own.
    Yet, as cats age, and depending upon the atmosphere,, they can also change.
    One of our cats was found as a kitten, stray, and was very shy for about 5 years,, as she lived with my Mom. She would visit with me,, (as I was the one who found her, cared for her etc,) but other folks called her the "ghost cat." When Mom passed,, she came to live with us. She became much more social,, and loving to a lot more folks. A very sweet personality,, but still had her quirks. Dry cat food only. Then as an older cat was heading to the Rainbow Bridge,, she suddenly liked the soft treats we'd feed the "old man." And she also began eating canned food. The "old man" passed,, and the little quirky girl immediately adopted my wife with a very close love. The old man had been born in my wife's lap, and died in her arms,, after over 17 years of being HER cat. The little girl,, adopted my wife,, and I would say; "Sebastian told her to take care of his momma after he left." Now,, she still loves me,, but she has become HER cat. Goes to bed with her butt on the pillow,, and her head nestled in my wife's hand, all while leaned into the side of my wife's head/face.
    But she too is aging,, (16+ now) and she has taken to crapping outside the 2 litter boxes she prefers,, as well as a few other spots. Not always,, & every time,, but enough to where we just chalk it up to her personality changing again,, combined with her age. She still pees in a box,, but craps in the floor.
    We know that at 16 + she may not have too many years left,, and with the sweet personality, combined with her attachment to my wife,, we accept her little issue. And now,, she actually wants soft, canned food all the time. A total turn around after many years of nothing but dry food. Guess what she gets?

So,, my question.

What does your granddaughter think of Mittens?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    doesnt know how to drink water...........
    We have a small fountain that one of our sons got us a few years ago.
    The cats love drinking running water. You might try something like that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    We have a small fountain that one of our sons got us a few years ago.
    The cats love drinking running water. You might try something like that.

This is something I noticed several years ago, given the choice cats seem to go for running water every time.

One of our outdoor cats has an annoying, or at least odd, drinking habit. I say annoying because I keep all our outdoor cats in my shop at night to keep them safe and so I have to keep litter boxes and a water bowl in there for them, "Miss Kitty" takes her paw and "paddles" the water before drinking as if she is trying to remove something from the surface???? There is no film or other debris on the surface (at least not until she sticks her dirty paw in it!) since rinsing and refilling the water bowl is a daily task before putting them up for the night but every morning the water bowl has dirt and junk from her paws in the water! I have watched her do this, she will sit and paw at the water sometimes hard enough to splatter, first one paw then the other, until she is satisfied with whatever it is she is trying to accomplish and only then will she drink.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    What does your granddaughter think of Mittens?
    She has only seen her on Skype. They live 650 miles away but hopefully will come down in October for our oldest son's wedding.
    If she comes here, he and "John Dad" as I am called will get up early every morning to go feed Mittens as that is when she is friendly to anyone with the sacred pod of food.

I am called "John Dad" because several years ago my daughter in law and her sister came down for Christmas with my youngest son. Their dad didn't ever have much disposable income so I took the girls out shopping with a blank checkbook. It was material things but they were so overjoyed and cried. After that, I became "John Dad". When Elia, our granddaughter, came along my wife kept pushing her to call be grandpa which I detest. Elia picked up "John Dad" and it's been that way ever since.

Boolit Master
    Mittens found the bedroom....
    At 2:00AM....
    She settled down occasionally but it was a night of Foot Attacks, Finger Nibbling and many bouts of aggressive "Not rubbing the cat!" head rubbing.
    We need to feed her before bed. Not that she doesn't have food, but if we give her some wet food, she is less rambunctious.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My younger cat started off drinking zero water but has watched the older one tanking up so much that she now drinks too. Was giving her wet food before that to hydrate her, still doing that as dehydration causes her health problems that I just don't need!

Glad Mittens and her stepsisters have grown used to each other, it usually just takes time and patience

Moderator Emeritus

My 2 play in the water too, I think most cats do...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My 2 play in the water too, I think most cats do...
    We have one that does that now quite frequently. We keep a big, deep bowl for the dog and this cat will put both feet in all the way to the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear mittens is doing well and being accepted by her elders! Our tuxedo has to get his petting when we go to bed, and as soon as either of us begins to wake, no denying him, he chirps and head butts till we comply. Might be a tux trait. Pooky has to tap the water with her paws before drinking, I always figured she wanted to know where the surface was so she didn’t stick her nose into it. She’s smart like that, taught the others to open doors and get toys out of the box. They all have their personality quirks, individuals all!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    If you really want to see some fun,put some ice cubes in the water.Then watch,and have a video camera handy.Oh yeah.Have a mop handy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I finally uploaded a Mittens video.
    She loves chasing toy mice.
    So does Lilly Bug.

http://www.bakerjw.org/Mittens.mp4

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast