MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handi-Rifle 35 Whelen

Boolit Buddy

Handi-Rifle 35 Whelen

So my first gun was a NEF Pardner 12ga and my first rifle was a NEF Handi-Rifle in 30-06. Ever since then I've always loved the simplicity and accuracy of NEF/H&R single shots. I've recently been intrigued with the 35 Whelen. After searching for a few months online for a Handi-Rifle, I decided I might have to try a CVA. Last week on my birthday I went to a local gun store and to my surprise they had a H&R Handi-Rifle in 35 Whelen. Looked like it hadn't seen much use. Was able to talk them down to $300 on it. Has the mossy oak camo stock. I was able to trade the stock for a wood one this week with another member on the forum. I'm still amazed I was able to find that gun locally! I can't wait to get this to the range and sling some lead using my Lee 358-200-RF boolits.

Top picture was as I bought it, bottom is how it is now.

Boolit Master

Found one myself a year or so ago at Simpsons LTD for a steal, yet to load for it. Congrats on the find and let us know how she shoots. Expect I will use same mold. I am thinking it will be a handful, but no more than my 45-70 Handi...maybe, lol.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Found one myself a year or so ago at Simpsons LTD for a steal, yet to load for it. Congrats on the find and let us know how she shoots. Expect I will use same mold. I am thinking it will be a handful, but no more than my 45-70 Handi...maybe, lol.
    I like shooting light loads. I do 13gr Unique in my 45/70 and I have 10gr of Unique loaded for the 35 as well as another load of 13gr of red dot. I don't expect to get beat up too much haha.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rtyler8140 View Post
    I like shooting light loads. I do 13gr Unique in my 45/70 and I have 10gr of Unique loaded for the 35 as well as another load of 13gr of red dot. I don't expect to get beat up too much haha.
    I as well love unique in my Handi 45-70 and find loading a 405 gr bullet pushed along with 10-13 gr unique a pleasure. Read somewhere about 10 gr unique loads being a common thing...lol!

As for a full load in the Handi, well just like Willy Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstoppers, one is enough for anyone...
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    I as well love unique in my Handi 45-70 and find loading a 405 gr bullet pushed along with 10-13 gr unique a pleasure. Read somewhere about 10 gr unique loads being a common thing...lol!

As for a full load in the Handi, well just like Willy Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstoppers, one is enough for anyone...
    I'm using a 340g in my 45/70. Let my 12 and 15 year old nephews shoot it last time they were in town and they loved it. Maybe in a year or two I'll let them try a factory round if they are so inclined haha.

Boolit Master
    you'll enjoy that 35 whelen, that old RCBS bullet design works great in my 700 with 35 grains 4198

Boolit Master
    Yeah nice find, I’ve been waiting around and looking for the .35 whelen as well. Planned on swapping the plastic camo for wood as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that light loads in the .35 Whelen are notorious for inducing shoulder setback, resulting in increased headspace. There ain't much shoulder there to begin with. Pistol primers, drilling flash holes out to .110" will help. Best thing to do is to ream it out the AI version, which has a much sharper shoulder.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Remember that light loads in the .35 Whelen are notorious for inducing shoulder setback, resulting in increased headspace. There ain't much shoulder there to begin with. Pistol primers, drilling flash holes out to .110" will help. Best thing to do is to ream it out the AI version, which has a much sharper shoulder.
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the shoulder setback issue. Just spent some time reading about it and will keep an eye on it.

Boolit Buddy
    So I got to spend a little time at the range before dark last night. Used the unique loads to get the scope dialed in. Right before dark I was able to squeeze off a 4 shot group using 13g of Red Dot. 1 5/8" @ 50 yards. I think I can tighten the group up by slowing down and taking my time. Loaded up 50 rounds tonight to do some more testing. Any guesses on velocity on this load? 358-200RF gas checked and powder coated with 13g red dot.

Boolit Master

A full load on that is going to thump ya'. I shoot that bullet in 35 Remington. I shouldn't read post like this now I want one!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    A full load on that is going to thump ya'. I shoot that bullet in 35 Remington. I shouldn't read post like this now I want one!
    You should get one. You already have the mold

Only approximate because there's too many parameters I don't know, but a SWAG in Quickload says 1600 fps. Plus or minus ????
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Only approximate because there's too many parameters I don't know, but a SWAG in Quickload says 1600 fps. Plus or minus ????
    At some point I'll run them through a chronograph. A friend of mine has one that I can use, I just need to grab it before I head to the range and convince myself I won't shoot it on accident! If they are north of 1400 I'll be happy.

Common wisdom has it that there are men who have shot their Chrony, and men who haven't......yet.

Just remember that that big scope's line of sight is a couple if inches above the bore. At that distance it's significant. Set the Chrony up so the target is seen in the upper third of the Chrony's window. It won't have any trouble seeing that big bullet.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

How light are we talking about for this to happen? I have been shooting mine with 158 grain SWCs and ten grains of 700X or similar loads of Unique. I haven't shot a whole lot of these, so I haven't noticed any problems, should I be concerned?

Banned

How's it shoot with factory loads?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    How light are we talking about for this to happen? I have been shooting mine with 158 grain SWCs and ten grains of 700X or similar loads of Unique. I haven't shot a whole lot of these, so I haven't noticed any problems, should I be concerned?
    As long as you never shoot a full load in those cases, you may not notice anything until you start to get "light strike" failures-to-fire. You should carefully check the headspace of those cases with a proper gage. They may well have shortened enough to induce a head separation if fired with a high pressure load. Better safe than sorry.

I learned this lesson in my earliest days of cast bullet shooting with the .35 Remington, which also has a very small shoulder. Like you I loaded pistol-weight semi-wadcutters at modest velocities, just for plinking behind the barn. That was almost thirty years ago. I have saved one case with the bright ring of incipient head separation to remind me to never use cases fired with light loads for hunting loads. Thankfully I listened to wiser heads before I ruined my Dad's heirloom 336 Marlin, and possibly myself.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-01-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    How's it shoot with factory loads?
    Not sure, as I have not actually fired any factory loads through it. I have a hard time spending $35/box for factory ammo. Right now with my red dot loads I'm at $2.25/box.

Boolit Master

The best and earliest sign the headspace is shrinking is a "high" primer after firing. I'm not sure what the threshold of this would be in the Whelen.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast