Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Chiappa 1863 45-70 ?

Boolit Mold

Chiappa 1863 45-70 ?

Looking at purchasing a new Chiappa 1863 calvary carbine in 45-70, this will be replacing a pedersoli trapdoor carbine 1997 vintage in 45-70, anyone have any issues with the new Chiappa products ? I have no issues with the pedersoli, just like the looks of the sharps action better, this will be used as a brush hunting gun here in east Texas, 100 yard plus shots are rare where I hunt but may want to stretch it out now and then, any input is appreciated.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Chiappa mini Sharps in 38-55. The gun is very well built and as accurate as I can be with open sights.
    The only issues I have with the smaller scaled down version will not be an issue for the full size model.
    With the double set triggers on the mini you don't have very much room in the trigger guard for finger movement. The loop is small and triggers are close together.
    The rifle is only around 6 pounds so once I start reaching mid level velocities the rear site will move from the straight up position and lean under recoil. Have to remember to stand it back up for the next shot.
    The other is with adjusting the double set triggers its a little tricky compared to other rifles I've had.

Welcome to the board !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Chiappa Model 1863 chambered in 50/70 and it’s a fine rifle.

Light, fast handling and accurate, it was just what I was looking for reference it being my first Sharps.

It’s very easy for me to beat the center out of a 12” plate at 100 yards offhand.

The only issue I had was mine was that the front sight was too tall and had to be filed down to get my groups centered up at 100 yards.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I have a Chiappa Model 1863 chambered in 50/70 and it’s a fine rifle.

Light, fast handling and accurate, it was just what I was looking for reference it being my first Sharps.

It’s very easy for me to beat the center out of a 12” plate at 100 yards offhand.

The only issue I had was mine was that the front sight was too tall and had to be filed down to get my groups centered up at 100 yards.
    That’s a fine looking rifle, I’d like to try the 50-70 but I believe there long out of stock, I’m already set up to cast and load 45-70 though, I was curious about the front sight also, I know the Chiappa Mcnelly 1863 has the pinned in front sight, was wondering if the 1863 calvary carbine is the same also. What markings are showing on the barrel on your rifle, Chiappa, Armi or ?

Boolit Buddy
    My front sight is pinned in:

My barrel is marked

Armi Sport
    Italy Cal 50/70
    New Model 1863 just ahead of the receiver behind the front sight.

Reference mine being a 50/70, I would have preferred a 45/70 but all I could find was 50/70’s in the Chiappa Model.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Welcome to the board !

Appreciate the welcome, glad to be here.

Boolit Mold
    My front sight is pinned in:
    My barrel is marked

Armi Sport
    Italy Cal 50/70
    New Model 1863 just ahead of the receiver behind the front sight.

Reference mine being a 50/70, I would have preferred a 45/70 but all I could find was 50/70’s in the Chiappa Model.
    Appreciate the info, again, beautiful rifle.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=ATCDoktor;
    Reference mine being a 50/70, I would have preferred a 45/70 but all I could find was 50/70’s in the Chiappa Model.[/QUOTE]

Just curious what do you dislike about the 50/70 or why would you prefer 45/70, I haven’t owned anything in 50/70 but it seems like it would be a fun cartridge to play with, I’ll be hunting with whatever I end up with.

Boolit Master
    The only drawback to a .50 is the brass cost 1.20 each vs about .55 for the 45-70's. The power is about the same. My next purchase is hopefully a shiloh #3 in .50-70 with a 30 inch barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious what do you dislike about the 50/70 or why would you prefer 45/70, I haven’t owned anything in 50/70 but it seems like it would be a fun cartridge to play with, I’ll be hunting with whatever I end up with.
    I don’t dislike the 50/70, it’s a fine cartridge but like 1Hawkeye says components for the 45/70 are cheaper and easier to come by (especially when you already have hundreds of 45/70 cases and bullets on hand).

Boolit Master
    Yep like ATC said, on the plus side those heavy cases will last forever and if you think a .45-70 is thor's hammer then you haven't seen a .50 connect on something yet.

Boolit Mold
    I don’t dislike the 50/70, it’s a fine cartridge but like 1Hawkeye says components for the 45/70 are cheaper and easier to come by (especially when you already have hundreds of 45/70 cases and bullets on hand).
    I’m pretty well stocked as far as loading for the 45/70 myself, I currently load for a marlin and a trapdoor saddle carbine, the 50/70 would mean starting from scratch but after the initial cost it would be a nice addition, but also an additional caliber to deal with, just pondering the notion for now.

Boolit Master
    The hard part is the price of the brass everything else is real close to the same cost including the loading dies.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The hard part is the price of the brass everything else is real close to the same cost including the loading dies.
    Saw some starline for a little over a dollar a round if you buy a hundred or so, hundred rounds of good brass probably do ya for a while if you treated it right, I haven’t came across a rifle in 50/70 yet so lm still a pondering ��.

Boolit Master

The initial cost of the brass means little if you take care of it. I'm still using the Dixie 50-70 brass I bought in the early 1980s. With proper care, your brass will last a long time.

Boolit Bub
    Beautiful rifle...maybe someday