RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 310 Tools on Fleabay Have Gone NUTZ!!

Boolit Buddy
    Amen to that, Froggie. I find it quite annoying too. Don't they ever look at the ones sold by bid?
    Some of these idiots must have gold plated bowel movements......

On the "rare" I think if they cruised the ads a bit they would find out the items they have are not so rare.
    30-06 seems to be on there a lot, by the piece or set.
    Leo

Ebay is retarded heck look for a lee loader for a 12ga its just sad ill build my own or take up a diffrent hobby before ill pay those prices
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Bub
    I'm glad I bought most of my Lee Loaders years ago when they were reasonable...no way I would pay todays inflated prices...

Boolit Grand Master
    We just watched one of the most egregious offenders buy a nice boxed set for $51, then immediately resist the marked steel handles for $159. I expect to see each die for $29.95, then the empty box for a similar amount. So all and all this guy is expecting to realize over $300 for his $51 investment. I hope he sits on them for a loooong time. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest him and his household!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Anyone who buys at that price doesent have a lick of commonsince

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    We just watched one of the most egregious offenders buy a nice boxed set for $51, then immediately resist the marked steel handles for $159. I expect to see each die for $29.95, then the empty box for a similar amount. So all and all this guy is expecting to realize over $300 for his $51 investment. I hope he sits on them for a loooong time. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest him and his household!

Froggie
    May I ask how you really feel Mr Froggie?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

You may assume I am not amused!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Got to watch for the deals . I just won an auction for a nice steel .218 Bee set for $75.00 . That's a lot more than the original price but if Lyman were still making the same set it's a lot less than they would want for them now . There are still a few on there who price their stuff fairly .

Anybody know the exact specs on the lock ring set screws ? Got a set for 30-30 the other day and all the screws are missing , something not mentioned in the auction but the price was still right .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 09-26-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’m thinking high could sell off some of my high end, desirable 310 stuff and take up golf. It’s probably more politically correct to defend home and hearth with a nine iron than a wicked old gun anyway, right?

Then again maybe I should just get one of those signs that say, “Due to the increased cost of reloading, the homeowner will no longer give warning shots.” I’ll probably get arrested for that anti-PC attitude, but at least I’ll be assured of “3 hots and a cot.”

Froggie
    I'll believe that when I see it . I been waiting since about this time last year for you to list some of those spare sets you claim you are gonna let go of . Seems to me you claimed you would be posting some by last Christmas .

What's a warning shot ? Anything below the waist ?

I'm looking for a unmarked box to house my .32 Win Spl set if you run up on one you don't need . My 1912 94 .32 Spl is gonna be my looter shooter and I want to be able to load on the fly . Got the Handles off the bay for around $25 and the die set was just a few dollars more . Also need a .323 expander for cast , I think mine is .319.

Both the pandemic and both big parties' partizan panic have put a lot of new people without much general and no historical knowledge into both the gun and reloading markets. Both their lack of knowledge and panic may have convinced some scruple challenged sellers that this is the time to fleece the sheep. This price phenomena seems to be (especially portable) reloading, reloading component, ammo, firearm market wide.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    Both the pandemic and both big parties' partizan panic have put a lot of new people without much general and no historical knowledge into both the gun and reloading markets. Both their lack of knowledge and panic may have convinced some scruple challenged sellers that this is the time to fleece the sheep. This price phenomena seems to be (especially portable) reloading, reloading component, ammo, firearm market wide.
    This is nothing new . It predates the so called pandemic , looters , BLM, Antifa and boogaloo Boys . Prices on this stuff have been going up for a good while . 15 years ago I started replacing all the 310 and Tru Line Jr stuff that I had stolen from my pap's shop . Tru line Jr presses were about $25 and shipping and I bought 15 sets of TL dies in the box still wrapped for $20 per set . I bought 310 steel sets in 6.5x 57, 30-40 K, 45-70 , .223 , 32-20 , 30-30,.38 spl , .44 spl , .45 colt , .257 roberts , 7mm Mauser , 8mm Mauser and a few others I can't think of right now and never paid more than $75 for any of those sets , most were around $65 . Nobody much was collecting them then and they sold pretty much to people who for whatever reason just liked to use them for what they were intended for . The first big spike in price I noticed was when I started reading about Cowboy Action Shooting . Lot of those guys wanted to load the old way so demand went up for certain calibers and they have never gone anywhere but up since . Oddball stuff is still cheap . 7mm Mag , .264 Win Mag and that kind of stuff can be found on Ebay right now for a song cause they are low demand items . Guys that shoot those guns mostly don't care about the old school loading tools . Bottom line is prices are high because some people will pay anything to get what they want regardless of what it is really worth .

As much as i like the 310s a lee hand press can do the same for less money. Ill stick to using my head instead of my wallet

Boolit Master

Mike ,
    I do both , even have a few of the old Lee Loaders just for yuks .

Boolit Master

I have to agree. 310 tools are way over priced for what they do. Lee is getting there also. Most of us own at least a single stage press and if the 310's and Lee Classic loaders cost more than a decent set of 7/8x14 dies, then they loose their appeal for me. The only real reasons for them are in a "stuff hit the fan--read national calamity" or as in the old days, someone who did not have the money to buy a press and dies both(me). The 310 have always had a old time sort of appeal for me but that is about all. I always considered the Lee style better and more useable. my take anyway, james

Boolit Master

James,
    The Lee and 310's let me change the seating depth at the range when I am working up a new load for a rifle I am not familiar with . I can't do that at the public range with a bench mounted press . I use them a little less for that now since moving out of town allows me to shoot at home where I have quick access to all my loading options .

When I was young and single I would roam the woods living off just what I could shoot . I would hunt all day , reload in the evening , smoke a good cigar and sip a nice whiskey and start all over the next day . I lived out of a small pack containing a 310 set , 1 pound of powder , 200 primers , and 200 bullets plus coffee pot and a few other cooking devices . I slept in a light weight jungle type hammock that weighed less than a sleeping bag and kept me off the ground and out of reach of the creepy crawlies . That is luxury living made possible by the portable loading tools . But, they were relatively cheap then because of limited interest in them .

If Lyman would make steel sets available in the $100-$125 range I would own a set for everything I own . That will never happen.

Boolit Master

I understand Eddie. I never load at the range. I load 10 to 15 for each caliber with the same bullet and same powder with different charge weights and then go to the range. I started shooting with a .22lr(Remington) in 1946. I started hunting in 1949 (or so) when I was about 7 and dad had bought me a little Savage 410 to squirrel and rabbit hunt. A local hardware store sold shotgun shells and would allow me to buy shells without having to buy a whole box(which I could not afford). I would usually buy 6 or 8 at a time. I hunted all the way thru high school that way. My high school principal would even allow me to bring my old Iver Johnson single barrel 12 to school(I had inherited my uncles shotgun) so I could get an early start on hunting after school. Things were different back then. I own a set of Lee loaders in every caliber that I shoot(in the old cardboard boxes). All but one caliber(.41 magnum) with the old metal powder measure. I have sold all the old Lee shotgun loaders that I had but kept the rifle and pistol, which I still use sometimes. The only 310 set I ever lusted after was for the 30-30 Marlin I own. I think I was born a 100 years too late. I have always shot blsack powder a lot since the mid to late 60's. I do understand the people who love and use the 310 and Lee's, I just am not willing to pay the prices that is asked for them these days. Every man spends his money and buys the equipment he wants and I have no problem with that nor will I throw shade at them. I am just not willing to do so myself. I was raised being frugal and I still follow that path(read that cheap). james

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I started this thread so I guess it’s my prerogative to let it drift. If I didn’t already have the commitment I made about 40 or so years ago, I wouldn’t even start with 310 tools today. Even though I already have the ones I need for my calibers, I don’t think I would recommend to anyone that they start now, it’s just too late, that boat has sailed. Although I only flirted with the Lee Loader family, I like them (especially with the good primer tool) and if they were still readily available and reasonably priced, I could and probably would resort to using them.

So where are we today? If I were starting from scratch an had similar needs in reloading capabilities, I would either go cheap with the Lee, or first class with the Buchanan, find a nice carrier for it along with a couple of sets of dies and a supply of components to be good to go. It would by no means be as compact and convenient as the little Lee boxed set or even the somewhat larger 310 set, but would still be manageable in any range or camping scenario I would be likely to embark on. I still like the idea of everything in a cigar box, but the cost of doing this would put it out of reach unless I were making a serious commitment to compactness. The preceding is JMHO, and of course YMMV.

Froggie

When you think about adding a hammer to the lee loaders or the size of the handpresses they will never be what a 310 set is in packability. Maybe someone should buy the patent from lyman if it is still active maybe modify it to take 7/8 dies (this could be a mistake ) and start selling em again id buy a set as long as its not made in china

Banned
    The patent is long expired, the first tools date to about 1886. Lyman bought the Ideal Reloading Tool Co. in 1926, from Phineas P. Talcott who bought it from Marlin Arms Co in 1916, who bought it from John Barlow in 1910.

I have one made especially for 7/8-14 dies. It works, sort of. c
    Case extraction from the die is a problem. It won't pull out far enough before the extractor hook slips off necessitating unscrewing the die and pulling and unscrewing the die and... several times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5537.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	267778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5536.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	267779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5530.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	267780

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast